Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 06:07:11 AM

Author Topic: Appropriate age for a Katty Perry Concert  (Read 16905 times)

Offline gobear

• Wannabe Wannabe
Appropriate age for a Katty Perry Concert
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your help on this topic as I'm trying to decide the appropriate age for a young girl, namely my daughter, to attend Katy's upcoming concert.

Thanks again

Offline Lazy Blazy

• 2nd Degree Stalker
  • You are the weapon I choose.
Re: Appropriate age for a Katty Perry Concert
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »
I think one aspect of the criteria should be that the child should be able to spell Katy Perry's name correctly.  ;)

All joking aside, I think it depends on the parent, and what they are comfortable with exposing their child to. Katy does confront some mature themes through her music and concerts, swears occasionally, discusses the female/male anatomy, etc, so If you are comfortable exposing your child to such LEWD (:P) behavior, then I see no reason to put an age bracket on any concert goer. That being said, if it is a young child, as in under the age of 14, I wouldn't suggest general admission or any type of no seating area as the child is apt to either get lost or trampled. Older fans can be vicious in GA.

Only Lauren knows whom I've been in love with in my life :)
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTERZ

Offline Josh

• Falling From Cloud 9
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »
I don't think Katy is as provocative as other artists today. Katy does it in a fun/friendly way. I'm sure your daughter will have a great time, and its an experience you'll want her to have! :)

Offline 71bert

• Wannabe
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
I guess I'm one of those "suspect" parents as we plan on bringing my 4 year old daughter to the show in Toronto on June 29th.  She loves Katy soooooo much and really doesn't understand the meaning of the words at this point.  Am I bad parent for bringing her?

Offline ifucanaffordme

• 2nd Degree Stalker
  • Breathe & Believe <3 #3306 Crimson&Clover
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »
The womb  :lol: I don't think she's inappropriate. It's nothing a kid won't hear in school... And a big majority of her fans are young kids to teens...

April 7 2009!NYC 1 row!
July 30, 2009 Atlantic City NJ front row! She held my hand :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlgaqkHhcHo
June 19, 2011 I MET Katy!
http://t.co/st7ll5NR KP3D FULL trailer!!!!!

Offline Mattm42

• Purrrfection
  • Do it all again.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
I guess I'm one of those "suspect" parents as we plan on bringing my 4 year old daughter to the show in Toronto on June 29th.  She loves Katy soooooo much and really doesn't understand the meaning of the words at this point.  Am I bad parent for bringing her?

Well it depends... if you have no problem with her hearing words like "fuck" and seeing semi-revealing costumes then it's fine. Katy isn't as bad as other artists though.

Bringing a 4-12 year old to Lady Gaga for instant I think is horrible. There was a 7-9 year old behind me when I saw Gaga last week and she asked "What does fucking mean?" I wanted to slap the parents but that's cause Gaga says it all the time when she talks to the audience. Katy only says it a few times in her song "Circle The Drain" where kids probably wouldn't even be able to pick up on it.

When I have kids however I'm personally not going to bring them to older concerts like these until they're 13. Until then they can go see Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, all those younger acts but shows like Katy Perry in my opinion should be left to 13+

credit to lazyblazy!
7/2/11, Montreal
7/3/11, Ottawa

Offline 71bert

• Wannabe
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:17:06 PM »
Because Miley Cyrus is such a good role model.......she was recently got on tape doing drugs?

Offline lauren

• Shake the Glitter!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 06:35:18 PM »
I've been thinking about this a lot recently, my sister is 6 and she really admires Katy
She dances around and sings all the time and she asked me last night if she could come with me and i'm just not sure really

25/02/09 . 23/08/09 . 21/03/11 . 22/03/11 . 31/10/11 . 5/11/11 . 20/5/14 . 23/5/14

Offline Mattm42

• Purrrfection
  • Do it all again.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 10:37:31 PM »
Because Miley Cyrus is such a good role model.......she was recently got on tape doing drugs?
Does a 4-year-old see that though? They have no clue about that stuff. It's not like she's on stage doing it or swearing.

It's all about what you expose them to. A child won't see stuff like that when they watch their TV show or go to concert. When you see Katy Perry or Lady Gaga (not comparing them btw just as examples) you are seeing first hand revealing costumes, swear wors and mature content...

credit to lazyblazy!
7/2/11, Montreal
7/3/11, Ottawa

Offline ricky

• Wannabe
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:57:35 PM »
I have seen a lot of kids in Miley's concerts so why not so in Katy's shows? But at the same time, I think that parents should avoid taking their kids up to 6 years of age to any live kind of live entertainment other than theater or Disney on ice stuff. You can never tell how a particular act will eventually turn out, so staying back is always a safe idea.

Offline Notlikethemovies

• Reading Hemingway
  • Free hugz :)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 01:32:41 AM »
I think it depends on the child really, I am fourteen (15 tomorrow) and I haven't got any problems with all of that since i was 10 and knew what fucking was since 8. When I watched movies and there was an adult scene I used to just look the other way till i was twelve or something. and most of the times i even did that while my parents weren't there. My parents (and in this case my mom) always talked about this subject openly to me, and i think they did a great job in doing so.  i knew i could always tell them if there was something going on. I will not though becouse that will be quite embarrasing  :hehe: . If you look at all other people in my class (well, i skipped a class so that might also be the cause) they always make stupid jokes when it comes to a subject like this. At school we learned about sexual deseases in the first form in wich most are 12-13 but there were a few 11 year olds aswell, and most of them were quiet uncomfortable, becouse of the way their parents have alwys avoided this subject. It is your own choice on how you raise your kid, but let me tell you: this whole subject is only as shocking for parents as it is, becouse they have never told their kids about this world before, and they want to protect them from this world for as long as possable.

Of course this is just my opinion and depending on the intelligence of the kid it may be a very diffrent situation.

-brussels, march 10th
-pinkpop, landgraaf

Offline Notlikethemovies

• Reading Hemingway
  • Free hugz :)
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 01:51:01 AM »
what i was trying to say: parents don't tell their children becouse they think it is inappropriate, and it is inappropriate becouse lots of parents don't tell their children

-brussels, march 10th
-pinkpop, landgraaf

Offline Mattm42

• Purrrfection
  • Do it all again.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
I have seen a lot of kids in Miley's concerts so why not so in Katy's shows? But at the same time, I think that parents should avoid taking their kids up to 6 years of age to any live kind of live entertainment other than theater or Disney on ice stuff. You can never tell how a particular act will eventually turn out, so staying back is always a safe idea.
Miley doesn't talk about "being your fucking mother" and "jacking off because your so gay and you dont even like boys". This is just my opinion but I know I wouldn't want my 4-year-ol to be exposed to that. I think you should be in grade 1 before you even start taking kids to concerts. A 4-year-old wont even remember it in like 3 years

But I really think Katy Perry is a 13+ type show
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:42:57 AM by Mattm42 »

credit to lazyblazy!
7/2/11, Montreal
7/3/11, Ottawa

Offline linz

• Makes U Spark A Firework
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
i don't think a four year old should be at any concert like that, not because of the content but because the poor girl is four!! her poor little eardrums!! the closest thing i saw to a concert when i was four was boyzone singing on a milk truck outside blancherdstown shopping centre when they were just starting out and i have absolutely no memory of it. i only know it happened coz my mam brought it up a couple of weeks ago!!

Offline Lissy

• Is Ready
  • I finally found you, my missing puzzle piece
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 05:08:28 PM »
I think it depends on the child really, I am fourteen (15 tomorrow) and I haven't got any problems with all of that since i was 10 and knew what fucking was since 8. When I watched movies and there was an adult scene I used to just look the other way till i was twelve or something. and most of the times i even did that while my parents weren't there. My parents (and in this case my mom) always talked about this subject openly to me, and i think they did a great job in doing so.  i knew i could always tell them if there was something going on. I will not though becouse that will be quite embarrasing  :hehe: . If you look at all other people in my class (well, i skipped a class so that might also be the cause) they always make stupid jokes when it comes to a subject like this. At school we learned about sexual deseases in the first form in wich most are 12-13 but there were a few 11 year olds aswell, and most of them were quiet uncomfortable, becouse of the way their parents have alwys avoided this subject. It is your own choice on how you raise your kid, but let me tell you: this whole subject is only as shocking for parents as it is, becouse they have never told their kids about this world before, and they want to protect them from this world for as long as possable.

Of course this is just my opinion and depending on the intelligence of the kid it may be a very diffrent situation.

I really love your post and I completely agree to that! It really depends on the parents, and I'm glad my mom raised me the way she did, and by that I mean that I can say the word 'penis' without blushing (believe me, many people in my age have serious problems with that word!) or that I can talk about sex openly. Everyone in my family is like that, and I think every family in the world should be like that, too. I discussed different contraception methods with my grandma!

So it's all about how you raise your child. And if your child is in, let's say 4th or 5th grade, no words used at a Katy show will be new to them ;)

Quote from:  Katy Perry
My goal when I'm playing shows is just to make people smile