Author Topic: Can you find Katy in between all the Beyonce?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Legend-waitforit-daryLove

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • The prismatic way of life :-)
Re: Can you find Katy in between all the Beyonce?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 04:56:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure that could end up being my Walmart after Beyonce's next album...knowing that almost 90% of people in my town would prefer Beyonce to Katy

Offline katypfan1999

• **LET THE LIGHT IN!**
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 05:23:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure that could end up being my Walmart after Beyonce's next album...knowing that almost 90% of people in my town would prefer Beyonce to Katy
What?? Are 90% of people in your town fucking CRAZY?? Beyonce over Katy? God, your town has no taste in music. By the Grace of God to Single Ladies, and your town would choose Single Ladies, huh? I guess a catchy, cliche song is better than a beautiful voice these days.

Offline cottoncandycloud9

• Ripest Apple
  • After a hurricane, comes a rainbow
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 05:31:31 PM »
What?? Are 90% of people in your town fucking CRAZY?? Beyonce over Katy? God, your town has no taste in music. By the Grace of God to Single Ladies, and your town would choose Single Ladies, huh? I guess a catchy, cliche song is better than a beautiful voice these days.

im not a fan of beyonce, even though she IS talented,  but you literally just compared two completely different songs that have no business being compared. Beyoncé songs are just not for me. She never really lit a fire under me, but she is undeniably talented. Her singing 'Listen' in Dream Girls is how she should always make music. not that Single Ladies garbage.and that album she randomly released is just no. nooooo

sidenote I never understand comparing two artists to each other....every artist, song, album, voice, and person is different.

Offline katypfan1999

• **LET THE LIGHT IN!**
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 05:40:23 PM »

im not a fan of beyonce, even though she IS talented,  but you literally just compared two completely different songs that have no business being compared. Beyoncé songs are just not for me. She never really lit a fire under me, but she is undeniably talented. Her singing 'Listen' in Dream Girls is how she should always make music. not that Single Ladies garbage.and that album she randomly released is just no. nooooo

sidenote I never understand comparing two artists to each other....every artist, song, album, voice, and person is different.
Yeah, it's sorta like how Little Monsters try to say Gaga is better than Katy  :lol: They're so different it's hard just to think about comparing them! And I just chose the first two songs I could think of. Lemme do a better job this time; Drunk in Love to Dark Horse (the ones they performed at the Grammys) and they would choose DIL over DH. I don't even like DH and I would choose it over Beyonce. But whatevs  :eyes:

Offline cottoncandycloud9

• Ripest Apple
  • After a hurricane, comes a rainbow
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »

Yeah, it's sorta like how Little Monsters try to say Gaga is better than Katy  :lol: They're so different it's hard just to think about comparing them! And I just chose the first two songs I could think of. Lemme do a better job this time; Drunk in Love to Dark Horse (the ones they performed at the Grammys) and they would choose DIL over DH. I don't even like DH and I would choose it over Beyonce. But whatevs  :eyes:

hahah same dark horse is so not one of my favorites but I have experienced being at a club when it comes on and its way more fun than drunk in love.

Online TheMouse

• Know it all
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »

hahah same dark horse is so not one of my favorites but I have experienced being at a club when it comes on and its way more fun than drunk in love.
I've been hot and cold with Beyoncé. I love the older albums and last year I bought B'Day. Just now I've listened through Single Ladies again, just to remind me. I love that one, too, just like I adore 90% of what she does. I think that both her voice and music are amazing, and I'm sure all the reasons why I like her are included in those why Katy does so.
But I watched some bits of her live shows and thought I could never have a desire to go to one of them. There seems to be so much pompous self importance and over-seriousness in the way she presents herself on a stage. None of the human touch and fun I see in a PWT show. And with the release of the 'visual album' she completely lost me. In Drunk In Love I've never been able even to recognise an actual song, and the videos seem so cheap and pointless in themselves. It seemed to me like something sketched but never finished. Katy seemed to have fallen in love with the whole thing, and I remember she kept referring back to the 'surfbordt', haha. I never understood why, and what Katy saw in it, to me it was just a plain mess. So I keep adoring those old albums, and remain confused at what Beyoncé suddenly decided to replace her incredibly good stuff with.
But this thread is a bit dated. It was at a time when Katy wasn't what she's now. I was looking for Prism in the pics before I realised. I'm sure the layouts would be a bit different now.
Katy and Beyoncé have two very different styles. Katy is very much white pop music, Beyoncé very much black pop music. It's true, a comparison is really a bit pointless. 

Me and my new ADMIRA from Spain are gonna be one damn firework.
I love her unconditionally.

:firework: :frolickingghost: :firework:

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • don't be basic
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »
No need to overreact! Probably pretty much everywhere people would probably side a little more with Beyoncé than Katy. Comparing Single Ladies to BTGOG is hardly fair, just like it would be unfair to compare IKAG with something like Pretty Hurts, and it's also not fair to say that Katy doesn't make catchy cliché pop songs.

(I think her most recent album flipped around a lot of things for her and her audience; some of the fans of her older songs didn't like the new direction she went in on BEYONCÉ, but I think a lot more appreciated the different sounds she went with and the album gained her a lot of new fans, cause this latest album did wonders for her career, and I've never seen a modern pop album get such an amount critical acclaim.
For me, 17 music videos, surprise release and truckload of hype aside, BEYONCÉ is BY FAR her best album and the only album she's made where I can appreciate every song (her other albums have about 4 songs each maximum that I like) because there are none of those boring, cliché, typical Beyoncé piano ballads where she tries to show emotion in her voice with all her annoying whining, and there's are none of those corny, playing-it-safe, cliché pop anthems that all her other albums are mostly filled with. With this album, the songs are honest, real, personal and with new sounds that work MUCH better for her. And so I gained mad respect for her for finally taking some much-needed real risks, and then also even more respect for pulling them off well.)

ANYWAY....there's no point in comparing them, even though they are kind of in the same game, they really are quite different artists. But like her or not, I don't think anyone can honestly say that Beyoncé is not talented. And er, not that I really care for 'technically good' as there are plenty of artists out there who are meant to be 'technically' better than Katy at singing whose voices I can't stand to listen to (for me, being able to convey real emotion well through your voice and songwriting > having a 'technically' great voice), but Beyoncé's voice is definitely seen to be a good bit better than Katy's technically... that's not a knock at Katy at all, I'm just saying. a lot of people would disagree with what you said and would have pretty fair evidence to back their point up.

woah this post turned out way longer than I meant for it to... and it probably wasn't even that necessary, sorry!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:02:27 PM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Online TheMouse

• Know it all
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 09:04:12 PM »
I wish somebody could explain to me what really makes it a good album. 17 music videos don't simply because there are so many of them if they're trash - which they are. It's quality, not quantity. And how has it helped her career? I don't even see people talking about it anymore. It was a big blown up hype with a lot of ass kissing from the critics when it happened (the amount of critical acclaim). But if you describe things which are good and which really built her career, not just fed her now oversized ego, as annoying whining then I doubt your understanding of music.

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline Legend-waitforit-daryLove

• The prismatic way of life :-)
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 09:42:53 PM »

Sorry if I led everyone on as if I was comparing the two...I was basically saying that at a Walmart in my neighborhood, Beyonce would probably get a full stand in the music section...and Katy would get just one rack of music. My suburb is 80% black, and there is a . I hardly know anyone in my town who would passionately listen to an entire album of Katy's...except me. And if there is...I have yet to spot that man/woman :hehe:

Back to the music, I can't say much about Beyonce's last album because aside from Pretty Hurts, I haven't listened...but I have heard the last 3 albums before and I only liked B'day from 8 years ago. Sasha Fierce and 4 left me feeling like...meh. She's excellent, but I don't buy into her music the way almost every single women (around my age, at least) I know does.

woah this post turned out way longer than I meant for it to... and it probably wasn't even that necessary, sorry!

I think this whole discussion turned out to be longer than I expected!! Put the blame on me, everyone...sorry guys!!

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• don't be basic
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
I wish somebody could explain to me what really makes it a good album. 17 music videos don't simply because there are so many of them if they're trash - which they are. It's quality, not quantity. And how has it helped her career? I don't even see people talking about it anymore. It was a big blown up hype with a lot of ass kissing from the critics when it happened (the amount of critical acclaim). But if you describe things which are good and which really built her career, not just fed her now oversized ego, as annoying whining then I doubt your understanding of music.
Well I basically just explained why I think it's good, 17 music videos aside. You don't seem to like the idea of critics doing reviews but would it hurt to maybe read a couple just to see why people think it's good? And sure, before the release of the album she was already quite highly respected and seen as one of the biggest stars in the world, but the release of BEYONCÉ was so huge that it would be laughable to think of any other album released in 2013 as competition. It really cemented the fact that she's in her own lane and doesn't even need to pay attention to her contemporaries now, because she's Beyoncé, and now people go wild just at the sound of her name. Of course you don't see people talking about it now, it came out 7 months ago, were people still talking about the release of Prism 7 months later?

Um... thanks? Being a fan of Rebecca Black I could say the same about you. I didn't say that those older songs were bad, just a lot of them that they were boring and cliché and it was time for a change.

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan

Online TheMouse

• Know it all
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 09:57:37 PM »
It would be 'laughable' to think of any other release in 2013 as competition? It 'cemented' her being in her own lane, and she doesn't need to pay attention to her contemporaries? - Do you sometimes even listen to the garbage you talk, or have any idea how the music business works? She has to pay the hell of attention and play the game just like everybody else in the business, because if she doesn't she'll disappear before you can say snap. There are no exceptions. 

P.S. People go wild at the sound of the name of Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, 1Direction, Selena Gomez and, and, and. What are you even trying to say?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:22:50 PM by TheMouse »

Offline KatysTwinBrother

• Reading Hemingway
  • You're gonna hear me rooaaaarrr!!
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »
I know everyone has their opinions, but I LOVE both Katy and Beyonce.

Nashville - 06/27/2014

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• don't be basic
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »
It would be 'laughable' to think of any other release in 2013 as competition? It 'cemented' her being in her own lane, and she doesn't need to pay attention to her contemporaries? - Do you sometimes even listen to the garbage you talk, or have any idea how the music business works? She has to pay the hell of attention and play the game just like everybody else in the business, because if she doesn't she'll disappear before you can say snap. There are no exceptions. 

P.S. People go wild at the sound of the name of Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, 1Direction, Selena Gomez and, and, and. What are you even trying to say?
Until the release of Beyoncé, Prism was the highest selling female album of 2013 with 286,000 copies sold in its first week. Then Beyoncé sold way over double that (617k) in 3 days (and maybe this is worth mentioning again) with no promo. Please tell me how Prism was competition. That alone explains why she is in a league of her own and does not need to pay attention to her contemporaries, her contemporaries need to pay attention to her. No, she doesn't need to. She did for the many years of her career prior to the release of Beyoncé, but then playing the game 'just like everybody else in the business' was exactly what she didn't do when she released that album, and look how that worked out.

Do I really have to explain what the difference is between Beyoncé and Selena Gomez or are you able to work out the difference between a powerhouse and a Disney star for yourself?

And 'P.S'. Is it possible for you to have a discussion without being rude, insulting or turning it into an argument?

@contraduncan

Offline katypfan1999

• **LET THE LIGHT IN!**
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »
This is my fault guys. I shouldn't have tried to bring back a thread from 08'. If I knew it would start a pointless argument I wouldn't have done so. Sorry guys  :(

Offline katypfan1999

• **LET THE LIGHT IN!**
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 11:22:16 PM »

Until the release of Beyoncé, Prism was the highest selling female album of 2013 with 286,000 copies sold in its first week. Then Beyoncé sold way over double that (617k) in 3 days (and maybe this is worth mentioning again) with no promo. Please tell me how Prism was competition. That alone explains why she is in a league of her own and does not need to pay attention to her contemporaries, her contemporaries need to pay attention to her. No, she doesn't need to. She did for the many years of her career prior to the release of Beyoncé, but then playing the game 'just like everybody else in the business' was exactly what she didn't do when she released that album, and look how that worked out.

Do I really have to explain what the difference is between Beyoncé and Selena Gomez or are you able to work out the difference between a powerhouse and a Disney star for yourself?

And 'P.S'. Is it possible for you to have a discussion without being rude, insulting or turning it into an argument?
Are you even a Katy fan? No jk  :lol: