Author Topic: Katy Covers Rolling Stone's August 14th Issue  (Read 1816 times)

Offline katypfan1999

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • **LET THE LIGHT IN!**
Re: Katy Covers Rolling Stone's August 14th Issue
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »
http://www.crushable.com/2014/07/30/entertainment/katy-perry-racist-cultural-appropriation-quote/

Could someone please comment on this? This is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read. Mouse, I'm lookin at you  ;)

comoxvalleylawncare

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 02:10:58 AM »
She didn't say anything about Gaga.... people are taking something she said in general terms about the fan-artist relationship and making it about Gaga.

And she said the mummies on PWT were inspired by plastic surgery "Kim K" type of thing. As she got backlash about that being racist towards african-americans.

This makes total sense to me now thanks for clearing that up. 

Offline Icypole

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 02:48:27 AM »
http://www.crushable.com/2014/07/30/entertainment/katy-perry-racist-cultural-appropriation-quote/

Could someone please comment on this? This is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read. Mouse, I'm lookin at you  ;)

I agree with Katy, I don't see a problem with adopting things from other cultures as long as it's respectfully. To say it's casual racism to like something from a culture and adopt it as your own is ridiculous, it's completely the opposite to the "us" and "them" idea of racism. If it is offensive to the people whose culture it is then they should be the people who say something, it seems like a lot of people are saying it's racist without actually being involved with that culture.

Offline lovefor_katy

• Likes to Twerk-a-Lot
  • So much love for that Katheryn Perry.
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 04:29:22 AM »
Katy Look shmokinggggg

Offline katykicksass

• Once a KatyCat, Always a KatyCat
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 07:44:54 AM »

KatyCats are taking this quote the wrong way...
06/30/2011 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/18/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/21/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre

Offline Legend-waitforit-daryLove

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • The prismatic way of life :-)
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:22 AM »
I'll wait to buy/rent this magazine so I can enjoy the pics & the article!! I think it'll be that much better to look at & read with a physical copy ;D

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• don't be basic
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
About the mummies, first thing's first, in my book, 'cultural appropriation' (a term that's starting to be used way too liberally anyway IMO) is NOT racism, some people prefer to disagree with that and say that it is because they like to make out that cultural appropriation is the crime of the century and the worst thing a human being could ever do (it's not by the way). 
Racism is when you pre-judge, antagonise, or discriminate against someone because of their race, which is not what people who culturally appropriate are doing, ESPECIALLY when culture and race are two different things. So I think anyone who calls cultural appropriation racism must just be a bit stupid really.

Secondly, sorry but I really do believe that the black people ('African Americans' :ummno: side note: I'm black and I'm neither African nor American, I know that term is supposed to be a more PC alternative to 'black' and I know that it's supposed to have good intentions, but I find 'African American' to be more offensive because it's stereotyping against black people by saying 'oh you're black, you must be from Africa', and not all of us are, so I'll stick with 'black') who took offense to this and called it racist/appropriating/both/whatever really did just make the choice and decided to be offended by the mummy costumes. Katy did nothing to suggest that this was to imitate or make fun of black people, like she said, there are plenty of people who aren't black who have fake, over-sized boobs and bums (Kim K, Coco, e.t.c), these bodies do not belong exclusively to black women at all.
The way I see it, the only people in this situation who were really being rude, offensive and maybe even a little racist, were the people who called Katy out on 'appropriating black culture' by having her dancers dress and dance like that. Sorry, but since when is having grossly oversized fake breasts and backsides and running around rubbing them in people's faces a part of black culture? The only thing I find to be at all racist is the people who suggested that, because that really is quite degrading and offensive tbh.

I never took offense to the costumes Katy's dancers wear during IKAG, the thought that they were a dig at black people never even crossed my mind until they ended up in the news, my only thoughts were that they were hilarious. I also attended the PWT with my friend who is also black (oh and by the way, she too is neither African nor American), and I specifically remember her also finding the dancers' costumes during IKAG to be hilarious.
Bottom line: keep the costumes in the show Katy. They're absolutely hilarious and nothing else. 

http://thedailyblond.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/black-people-urged-to-stop-participating-in-pop-culture-due-to-appropriation/ truth x truth x truth x truth.

Rant over (for now). Wow I should write for The Guardian tbh.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:33:46 PM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »

I agree with Katy, I don't see a problem with adopting things from other cultures as long as it's respectfully. To say it's casual racism to like something from a culture and adopt it as your own is ridiculous, it's completely the opposite to the "us" and "them" idea of racism. If it is offensive to the people whose culture it is then they should be the people who say something, it seems like a lot of people are saying it's racist without actually being involved with that culture.
cultural appropriation is, if you're a black singer singing delta blues in its typical way, and I, white but enthusiastic, fetch my guitar to play and sing those songs in just about the same way.

Racism is, if you're the same black singer and I won't listen to you and won't buy your records, because you're black.
Or, alternatively, if I think you should dance while you sing the blues because black people are good at that.

Dimwits who write nonsense confusing those two are not educated or clever enough to understand that difference.
.typo, edit.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:12:55 PM by TheMouse »

Me and my new ADMIRA from Spain are gonna be one damn firework.
I love her unconditionally.

:firework: :frolickingghost: :firework:

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline Aryadne

• Real Fan
  • don't bother me with all of your reality
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
Can't wait to get my copy  :dreamboat: :dreamboat: :dreamboat: :dreamboat:

Proud KatyCat #5469
09.25.2011 & 07.30.2012

Offline katy_chameleon

• Dressed up like Elvis!
  • Katy's voice is like a pint of Guinness; smooth.
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 02:28:37 AM »
Definitely on my "to buy" list!
KatyCat #22170
Twitter: @katy_chameleon
2011-07-19: Rogers Arena, Vancouver
2014-09-09: Rogers Arena, Vancouver

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• don't be basic
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 07:52:19 AM »
Now I've just seen NME write an article making a big deal out of her 'I want to join the illuminati' comment in this interview. It feels like people are out to get Katy more than ever at the moment, she just can't say or do anything right!

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline katykicksass

• Once a KatyCat, Always a KatyCat
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 07:59:58 AM »
Now I've just seen NME write an article making a big deal out of her 'I want to join the illuminati' comment in this interview. It feels like people are out to get Katy more than ever at the moment, she just can't say or do anything right!

Wtf? Katy gets hated for doing her music videos and now people are making a big deal about what she said in interviews. Why can't people just give her a break?
06/30/2011 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/18/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/21/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre

Offline Squeeniex27

• Makes Cupcakes Cry
  • The light has come
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »
So happy and excited! Rolling Stone is my favorite magazine that interviews celebs, and the pictures look so wonderful. Very excited to see how the interview plays out.
Prism: let the light in

Offline RaulKP

• Kissed a Girl - And Liked It!
  • KatyCat since 2008 and proud #blessed
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »
SHE
SLAYED
MY
ENTIRE
EXISTENCE
[/b]