Author Topic: Katy's dancing  (Read 408 times)

Offline CharlieLezz

• Kissed a Girl - And Liked It!
Katy's dancing
« on: June 06, 2014, 05:44:08 AM »
I've seen a few YouTube comments from both Katy fans and haters saying that her dancing and generally energetic movement around the stage in impairing her voice. Personally, I think it really doesn't effect her voice all that much, and she needs to be active around the stage to put on more a show. I definitely prefer Katy dancing and having a good time on stage!

Any thoughts on whether you'd prefer Katy to be more static like her acoustic section on tour, or whether you prefer her energy on stage?

Hammersmith Apollo : 19/3/11
Wembley Arena : 9/4/11
O2 Arena : 15/10/11

Offline TheMouse

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
Re: Katy's dancing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »
I've seen a few YouTube comments from both Katy fans and haters saying that her dancing and generally energetic movement around the stage in impairing her voice. Personally, I think it really doesn't effect her voice all that much, and she needs to be active around the stage to put on more a show. I definitely prefer Katy dancing and having a good time on stage!

Any thoughts on whether you'd prefer Katy to be more static like her acoustic section on tour, or whether you prefer her energy on stage?
I've been to half a dozen shows now and agree with you, it doesn't clash with her singing like some want to make it seem; Katy is more athletic now than she was in her early twenties, probably in her current fitness lifestyle her relaxation during lunch break is more demanding than my exercising.
As to the performance style, I'm in two minds - the current show is intoxicating through its mesmerising spectacle, but I keep searching for videos of Katy playing her own songs on guitar, and for tutorials following her exact chord sequences, so I can copy her from both - I wish I could have seen more of that in real life, I'm just six years or more late with it. Let's see what the future brings.

Don't know why I quoted the topic question btw

❤ Kitty Purry is my favorite cat ❤

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline foobia

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 12:19:31 PM »
I don't find it affecting her voice at all as major part of her choreography is while she's not singing and that wrist move during Legendary Lovers is not really something that could affect her voice. She's trying so hard with her dancing, it's pretty cute to watch!
she's awesome, isn't she?

@tlauraful

Offline KatysWeirdness

• Cherry Chapstick
  • Minnie
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
I honestly think her dancing is adorable, but I don't think her voice is affected, she does need to control her breathing harder since she is constantly moving and singing at the same time but I think she does it pretty well

Offline K8YCat

• Wannabe w. more posts
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
The thing people need to know about a live show is it's just that... LIVE! In a studio it's way different.  There are computers and all sorts of instruments and sound boards and stuff to perfect the sounds and make perfect tracks for the album, plus the rooms acoustics are also perfect.  And of course she's mainly standing still.  Naturally when a person moves around a lot, dancing, exercising, etc...they're breathing is heavier, and they run out of breath.  I performed on stage as a dancer for 10 years, and it does make you breathe heavy, and the lights are very hot. And I wasn't even singing.  Singing takes a lot of air too, and singers generally have very strong lungs because of it. It takes a lot of practice to hold long notes. I do sing but I'm not nearly as good as Katy, and she can definitely hold her notes longer than I can. So to be singing her heart out AND jumping, running and dancing under the hot lights.... is very impressive.  I think she does an excellent job.  And when people attend shows they need to understand that live music is a much different experience than recorded. But there's nothing like it and it's awesome! I've been to HKT and CDT and I have tix for 3 PWT shows!  I can't wait!  Katy is amazing live!
OG KatyCat!  <3

Offline TheMouse

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:56:50 PM »
The thing people need to know about a live show is it's just that... LIVE! In a studio it's way different.  There are computers and all sorts of instruments and sound boards and stuff to perfect the sounds and make perfect tracks for the album, plus the rooms acoustics are also perfect.  And of course she's mainly standing still.  Naturally when a person moves around a lot, dancing, exercising, etc...they're breathing is heavier, and they run out of breath.  I performed on stage as a dancer for 10 years, and it does make you breathe heavy, and the lights are very hot. And I wasn't even singing.  Singing takes a lot of air too, and singers generally have very strong lungs because of it. It takes a lot of practice to hold long notes. I do sing but I'm not nearly as good as Katy, and she can definitely hold her notes longer than I can. So to be singing her heart out AND jumping, running and dancing under the hot lights.... is very impressive.  I think she does an excellent job.  And when people attend shows they need to understand that live music is a much different experience than recorded. But there's nothing like it and it's awesome! I've been to HKT and CDT and I have tix for 3 PWT shows!  I can't wait!  Katy is amazing live!
You summed it up perfectly  :thumbzup: I can barely walk while I sing, dancing would be the end of every gig for me.

❤ Kitty Purry is my favorite cat ❤

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline KatyCatTorzee

• Know it all
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 11:43:54 PM »
You summed it up perfectly  :thumbzup: I can barely walk while I sing, dancing would be the end of every gig for me.

^^ This this this. I go to see a show anyway! :hehe:

Sydney CDT 14.5.11
Katy Perry: Part of Me Sydney Premiere 30.6.12
Sydney PWT 22.11.14/24.11.14/25.11.14/13.12.14

Offline katypfan1999

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • **LET THE LIGHT IN!**
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
I honestly don't really know. I mean, Mouse is right when he says she's more fit than she was in her early 20s, but I don't know. Because I watch videos of Katy playing with her guitar and i cry due to her vocals  :lol: But when I listen to her when she's dancing or moving around a lot, it's not as good, sometimes even off tune  :-\ And I hate to say that, it's even brought me anxiety before; telling myself she isn't good, believing it, and freaking out because I feel like it's mandatory that I stop being a Katycat, which is why I freak out, because I KNOW I love her, just no matter what I'll tell myself "Oh remember that performance where she was off tune?" and I freak out. It also doesn't help my anxiety to read comments saying "Talentless" and "She's never good" or whatever :P But it doesn't affect as much as it did before, because I'm beginning to accept again that Katy is an angel with her voice. Anyway, I think I went a bit off topic  :lol: My opinion? I don't know. I don't know why some of her performances are pitch perfect, and why some are off tune. But do I think dancing affects her voice? Eh. But then that leaves me the question, if it's not the dancing, what is it?