Author Topic: Living life as a KatyCat  (Read 935 times)

Offline katykicksass

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • Once a KatyCat, Always a KatyCat
Re: Living life as a KatyCat
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 11:21:59 AM »
^ What? I'm sorry but just because you like Katy, does NOT give your boss the right to say he would "never hire a fan of Katy Perry." Liking/loving Katy and doing your job are to seperate things. One should NOT interfere with your work. If he has a problem with hiring somone just because he or she likes Katy, then he needs a good talking too cause that's wrong. You're telling me that if I or anyone else on here were to apply for a job at your work, your boss wouldn't hire us just because we are "fans" of Katy?
06/30/2011 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/18/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/21/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre

Offline K8YCat

• Wannabe w. more posts
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
A high level manager at the company that I work for has gone so far as to say that he would never hire a fan of Katy Perry.  Needless to say, I have to completely hide the fact that I am a fan of Katy.

As I have posted before: for those of you who are still in school and not yet working: the bullying that most of us will have to deal with in the workplace is far worse than anything you have ever experienced in school.  In fact, I basically have to hide everything about myself from my coworkers.   :'(

Well first of all that is illegal of your boss. He has no right to not hire someone based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc... so he definitely can't base it on what you're a fan of in your personal life.  If your resume has great qualifications and ur a good worker and responsible and always on time and you take ur job seriously, liking Katy, or anything else is not a reason to not have u in the company.

Unfortunately, it is not illegal.  Race, gender, religion, disability, etc are protected characteristics.  Music preference is not a protected characteristic, so it is completely legal for an employer to discriminate based on music preferences.  Unfortunately, people make all kinds of inferences (both correct and incorrect) about a person based on their music preferences.  Someone knowing that I like Katy would infer that I am childish, feminine, that I am individualistic rather than a conformist, that I stand up for myself and am not a doormat, and that I am a member of the so-called "self-esteem generation" (which isn't even true; many of my elementary school teachers were some of the meanest people I have ever met).  All characteristics, unfortunately, that are disliked by corporate bullies, and all characteristics that are legal to discriminate based on.

For what it's worth, sexual orientation is not a protected characteristic.  But that wouldn't help me anyway, since I am not actually gay, and everyone at my job knows that I am married to a woman.

Man, this world is messed up.  People need to stop worrying about stupid crap.  Who cares what music u like or sports team or tv show....  none of that has to do with your job performance.  so not fair. =(
OG KatyCat!  <3

Offline katycatkelly

• Shake the Glitter!
  • Hello katycats!
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
YAAAAAS

Online ravenkatycat

• Purry-licious!
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 01:06:01 AM »
Almost everyone who knows me knows that I'm a KatyCat, but no one outside of my few closest friends know the extent of my Katy obsession. I don't really hide the fact that I love Katy, but I do hide how much I love Katy from just about everyone because if people knew that I know just about everything about her and where she is at all times and sometimes cry because of her, they would think I'm psychotic. My parents know that I love Katy because I have posters all over my room and listen to her music 24/7, but when she is brought up or is on the radio or something, I don't react on the outside at all because they think it's completely ridiculous to be that obsessed with a celebrity. It's hard for me to get tickets to her shows and buy merch because they disapprove of it so much, and I always have to be sneaky with that shit and it really sucks. My friends are fangirls also so they get it. I don't have to hide anything from them which is great, I can be as extreme as I want and they won't judge me  :dreamboat:. All in all, I'm pretty open about being a KatyCat. Everyone at school knew, and I LOVEEE wearing her merch in public. I really don't care if people think I'm "too obsessed" or "too old" or if they think that it's "unhealthy" or whatever, at the end of the day my life has nothing to do with you, and if this is what makes me happy, this is what I will do and you will deal.  :flowerpower:

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 12:45:04 PM »
^ What? I'm sorry but just because you like Katy, does NOT give your boss the right to say he would "never hire a fan of Katy Perry." Liking/loving Katy and doing your job are to seperate things. One should NOT interfere with your work. If he has a problem with hiring somone just because he or she likes Katy, then he needs a good talking too cause that's wrong. You're telling me that if I or anyone else on here were to apply for a job at your work, your boss wouldn't hire us just because we are "fans" of Katy?

Man, this world is messed up.  People need to stop worrying about stupid crap.  Who cares what music u like or sports team or tv show....  none of that has to do with your job performance.  so not fair. =(

Luckily, I was hired in early 2008, before the economy completely crashed, and before employers were able to refuse to hire employees for completely arbitrary reasons.  Many employers go so far as to ask for people's Facebook passwords before hiring!  I hope that my employer doesn't stoop to that level with their post-2008 hires.

To answer your question: if you were being interviewed, hopefully they wouldn't ask for your Facebook password, and hopefully they wouldn't ask what music you like.  If your Facebook page is public, then you're probably out of luck.

I agree 100% that your music preferences have nothing to do with doing the job.  Unfortunately, employers don't see it that way, and they make all kinds of inferences based on music preferences.  As I said earlier, they assume Katy fans are childish, feminine, individualistic, "whiny" and "entitled" (2 of the most overused and meaningless buzzwords), not willing to be a doormat, and a member of the "self-esteem generation" (another meaningless and overused buzzword).  They also would claim that you don't "fit into the corporate culture" (another meaningless and overused buzzword), and they'll claim that "fitting into the corporate culture" is more important than your ability or work ethic.

The world is getting harder and harder for people like me.  :(

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
Almost everyone who knows me knows that I'm a KatyCat, but no one outside of my few closest friends know the extent of my Katy obsession. I don't really hide the fact that I love Katy, but I do hide how much I love Katy from just about everyone because if people knew that I know just about everything about her and where she is at all times and sometimes cry because of her, they would think I'm psychotic. My parents know that I love Katy because I have posters all over my room and listen to her music 24/7, but when she is brought up or is on the radio or something, I don't react on the outside at all because they think it's completely ridiculous to be that obsessed with a celebrity. It's hard for me to get tickets to her shows and buy merch because they disapprove of it so much, and I always have to be sneaky with that shit and it really sucks. My friends are fangirls also so they get it. I don't have to hide anything from them which is great, I can be as extreme as I want and they won't judge me  :dreamboat:. All in all, I'm pretty open about being a KatyCat. Everyone at school knew, and I LOVEEE wearing her merch in public. I really don't care if people think I'm "too obsessed" or "too old" or if they think that it's "unhealthy" or whatever, at the end of the day my life has nothing to do with you, and if this is what makes me happy, this is what I will do and you will deal.  :flowerpower:

If the problem is that your parents won't let you go to Katy's concerts, here are a few ideas to try:

1. If they think all of her songs are risqué, maybe try playing other songs for your parents, such as Unconditionally, By the Grace of God, It Takes Two, Who Am I Living  For, Pearl, Not Like the Movies, Lost, Part of Me, Wide Awake, etc.  Let them know that the vast majority of Katy's songs are clean and have positive messages.  Show them the setist for the concert.  If there are 1 or 2 songs that they still don't approve of, maybe agree to go to the concession stand or take a bathroom break during those songs.  Do whatever you can to show that you are mature enough.

2. If the issue is money, then maybe offer to do additional chores around the house for a while, or offer to accept a smaller number of Christmas and birthday presents for a while.  Up to you do decide what is worth it.

3. If the issue is the quality of Katy's singing, it probably means your parents have only heard a few weak televised performances.  Show them some of her better live performances.

Good luck.

Offline Kikyo_Cat

• Makes Cupcakes Cry
  • [ ♥ Katy Cat ♥ ]
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »
I am so glad I posted this because some of your responses really made me feel a lot better. And K8YCat I think that we're the same person LOL

It's hard because like you said, I've never fit in anywhere. I still don't fit in anywhere. Except in this Katy Perry fandom. Because no one here is going to tell me such negative things. I'm not really part of my family. My aunt calls me a freak everytime we talk because I'm "too old" to obsess over Katy Perry, or go to anime conventions, or play videogames. And for the most part, everyone else agrees. At this point in my life I should be about to finish college. I should have a job where my coworkers dont bully me and I'm making more than minimum wage, I should be moving out of my dad's apartment. But life is tough.

I had to take a break from college due to owing the school money, and I also had a lot going on at the time and wasn't able to focus on my studies. I became a fan when I first heard IKAG on Myspace. That was my first experience with girls liking girls or boys or whatever. And I was very confused at the time because I ALWAYS found myself looking more at girls then guys, finding them really attractive. One of my online friends actually linked me the song because she thought I WOULDN'T like it, but knew it related to my confusion a little. I listened and right away fell in love with the song, and Katy. And I started learning that girls COULD like girls, even though Katy isn't a lesbian obv, my whole family are very anti-gay they don't like religions that aren't ours, they don't like other ethnicity and here I am accepting everyone. loving everyone. and really confused about my feelings. I'm still confused. But I know I'm not a lesbian, and I know I'm not straight. I'm a lot less confused then I was back then.

As I heard more of her music I became more of a fan. Because there is so much behind Katy. Just watching an interview I've seen 100s of times can make me smile in the worst of moods because I genuinely love her. Yesterday was one of the worst days ever at work. I was crying in the car on my way home and suddenly firework came on and it turned into happy crying because I NEEDED Katy in that moment, and even though it's not like she hacked my radio to play the song. She was there. I have my huge Katy wall and sometimes when I'm really sad, or crying I just stare at it. At her smiles and beauty and tell myself I'll be okay. I'm at a rough part in my life right now and especially lately I've been kind of back and forth with suicidal thoughts.. but then I'm like "well I need to hold on at least until August. I need to experience her new tour.." and then I laugh at myself for putting a pause on those thoughts so I can see Katy. And I know I never will actually go through with it. Because there will always be a reason not to. And Katy is my reason.

I wish my friends and family could understand that. But they don't. And won't. My best friend from highschool.. we aren't really friends anymore but she has the same obsessive fangirl thing going that I do, so she understood and helped fuel my fangirling. My friends are okay for the most part. I have one friend who if I bring up Katy she brings up how much she hates her and is like "Lauren really, if you don't want to hear me talk bad about her.. stop bringing her up!" I have another friend who hates her a lot, but she agreed to watch the movie with me because "Even though I hate her, you're my friend and I know it will mean a lot to you if I watch it" and though it didn't make her a Katy fan. And she still hates her music, she respects Katy as a person now, and her mom walked in mid movie and she explained all of this stuff that went on in the movie and she was like "she's really inspiring" and it did make me happy. And even though she's never going to like the music, she understands now why Katy means so much to me.

Add Me On Skype! : KikyoCat

Online ravenkatycat

• Purry-licious!
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »

If the problem is that your parents won't let you go to Katy's concerts, here are a few ideas to try:

1. If they think all of her songs are risqué, maybe try playing other songs for your parents, such as Unconditionally, By the Grace of God, It Takes Two, Who Am I Living  For, Pearl, Not Like the Movies, Lost, Part of Me, Wide Awake, etc.  Let them know that the vast majority of Katy's songs are clean and have positive messages.  Show them the setist for the concert.  If there are 1 or 2 songs that they still don't approve of, maybe agree to go to the concession stand or take a bathroom break during those songs.  Do whatever you can to show that you are mature enough.

2. If the issue is money, then maybe offer to do additional chores around the house for a while, or offer to accept a smaller number of Christmas and birthday presents for a while.  Up to you do decide what is worth it.

3. If the issue is the quality of Katy's singing, it probably means your parents have only heard a few weak televised performances.  Show them some of her better live performances.

Good luck.
It's not that they don't like Katy or anything, it's just that they think that going to concerts isn't necessary. I always have to pay for the tickets myself, and I'm never allowed to travel outside of my state for a show or wait outside the arena for hours or go to multiple dates. Even if Katy was doing multiple dates IN my state and I paid for my tickets, my parents would still probably only let me go to one. And I'm also only allowed to spend a certain amount of money on tickets, even though it's my money that I work for. Like when I went to CDT, I paid for both of my tickets. I also saved up $140 to spend on merch, and my mom and I got into a huge argument about how much money I'm allowed to spend, but again it was MY money so why does she care lol?? And I also had a M&G that I won from here, it ended up being after the show because there wasn't enough time to do it before the show, and my parents almost didn't let me meet her because they didn't think she was worth waiting around for, and when we were finally allowed to go in the M&G room around 12:45am, they told me to get a quick picture, autograph and leave immediately. I didn't really get any time with Katy at all because of them and it still kills me to this day cause who knows if I'll ever have that opportunity again, y'know? And then they grounded me after the show for making them wait so long and for spending all my money. And to top it all off, my birthday was the day after. :twitch: They just don't understand.

Offline cottoncandycloud9

• Purry-licious!
  • After a hurricane, comes a rainbow
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »
I am so glad I posted this because some of your responses really made me feel a lot better. And K8YCat I think that we're the same person LOL

It's hard because like you said, I've never fit in anywhere. I still don't fit in anywhere. Except in this Katy Perry fandom. Because no one here is going to tell me such negative things. I'm not really part of my family. My aunt calls me a freak everytime we talk because I'm "too old" to obsess over Katy Perry, or go to anime conventions, or play videogames. And for the most part, everyone else agrees. At this point in my life I should be about to finish college. I should have a job where my coworkers dont bully me and I'm making more than minimum wage, I should be moving out of my dad's apartment. But life is tough.

I had to take a break from college due to owing the school money, and I also had a lot going on at the time and wasn't able to focus on my studies. I became a fan when I first heard IKAG on Myspace. That was my first experience with girls liking girls or boys or whatever. And I was very confused at the time because I ALWAYS found myself looking more at girls then guys, finding them really attractive. One of my online friends actually linked me the song because she thought I WOULDN'T like it, but knew it related to my confusion a little. I listened and right away fell in love with the song, and Katy. And I started learning that girls COULD like girls, even though Katy isn't a lesbian obv, my whole family are very anti-gay they don't like religions that aren't ours, they don't like other ethnicity and here I am accepting everyone. loving everyone. and really confused about my feelings. I'm still confused. But I know I'm not a lesbian, and I know I'm not straight. I'm a lot less confused then I was back then.

As I heard more of her music I became more of a fan. Because there is so much behind Katy. Just watching an interview I've seen 100s of times can make me smile in the worst of moods because I genuinely love her. Yesterday was one of the worst days ever at work. I was crying in the car on my way home and suddenly firework came on and it turned into happy crying because I NEEDED Katy in that moment, and even though it's not like she hacked my radio to play the song. She was there. I have my huge Katy wall and sometimes when I'm really sad, or crying I just stare at it. At her smiles and beauty and tell myself I'll be okay. I'm at a rough part in my life right now and especially lately I've been kind of back and forth with suicidal thoughts.. but then I'm like "well I need to hold on at least until August. I need to experience her new tour.." and then I laugh at myself for putting a pause on those thoughts so I can see Katy. And I know I never will actually go through with it. Because there will always be a reason not to. And Katy is my reason.

I wish my friends and family could understand that. But they don't. And won't. My best friend from highschool.. we aren't really friends anymore but she has the same obsessive fangirl thing going that I do, so she understood and helped fuel my fangirling. My friends are okay for the most part. I have one friend who if I bring up Katy she brings up how much she hates her and is like "Lauren really, if you don't want to hear me talk bad about her.. stop bringing her up!" I have another friend who hates her a lot, but she agreed to watch the movie with me because "Even though I hate her, you're my friend and I know it will mean a lot to you if I watch it" and though it didn't make her a Katy fan. And she still hates her music, she respects Katy as a person now, and her mom walked in mid movie and she explained all of this stuff that went on in the movie and she was like "she's really inspiring" and it did make me happy. And even though she's never going to like the music, she understands now why Katy means so much to me.

I love this, so much. I too have friends who just talk so much crap to me about how much they hate katy even though they know how much I love her. If your age is correct on your profile, we are very close in age, i'll be 22 in August. Sometimes I feel like I'm too old for such a level of fangirl but then I remember how much I really don't care. It took me my whole life to find anything that makes me as happy as katy does. She inspires me and the fact that she is so honest and who she is and honestly seems like someone who would just be your best friend because she is so normal and real. I love that about her. I've been suicidal since I was 13, I suffer from really severe anxiety. I have really dark days, not as many as i did when i was younger, But when I meet Katy fans, and joining this board honestly, it has made me feel so much better. Like I'm not a total weirdo for being almost 22 and loving someone I don't even know so much. haha
but you can always feel free to PM me and chat if you ever have a day that just sucks or your friends bug you because they just don't get it. I mean, that's why we are all here right?  :katycat1: :katycat1:

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »
K8yCat / Kikyo_Cat / cottoncandycloud9:

I am very glad that Katy and her music have been there for all of you.  I am glad that you were all brave enough to share your stories here.  I will definitely pray for all of you that things get better.

Offline cottoncandycloud9

• Purry-licious!
  • After a hurricane, comes a rainbow
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »
K8yCat / Kikyo_Cat / cottoncandycloud9:

I am very glad that Katy and her music have been there for all of you.  I am glad that you were all brave enough to share your stories here.  I will definitely pray for all of you that things get better.

:cheers:

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 08:53:38 PM »

Good luck.
It's not that they don't like Katy or anything, it's just that they think that going to concerts isn't necessary. I always have to pay for the tickets myself, and I'm never allowed to travel outside of my state for a show or wait outside the arena for hours or go to multiple dates. Even if Katy was doing multiple dates IN my state and I paid for my tickets, my parents would still probably only let me go to one. And I'm also only allowed to spend a certain amount of money on tickets, even though it's my money that I work for. Like when I went to CDT, I paid for both of my tickets. I also saved up $140 to spend on merch, and my mom and I got into a huge argument about how much money I'm allowed to spend, but again it was MY money so why does she care lol?? And I also had a M&G that I won from here, it ended up being after the show because there wasn't enough time to do it before the show, and my parents almost didn't let me meet her because they didn't think she was worth waiting around for, and when we were finally allowed to go in the M&G room around 12:45am, they told me to get a quick picture, autograph and leave immediately. I didn't really get any time with Katy at all because of them and it still kills me to this day cause who knows if I'll ever have that opportunity again, y'know? And then they grounded me after the show for making them wait so long and for spending all my money. And to top it all off, my birthday was the day after. :twitch: They just don't understand.

I definitely understand what you are saying.  The truth is, everybody has things that they are willing to splurge on, and other things that they consider to be a waste of money.  People often have a hard time understanding that.  Whether your parents realize it or not, there are probably a lot of things that your parents splurge on that you would consider to be a waste of money.

For now, all you can do is do whatever you can to let your parents know how much Katy's concerts mean to you.  Remind them that it is your money that you earned, and want to spend how you choose.  Your profile says that you are 17.  Assuming that is correct, you will be 18 soon and will be an adult.  Then, hopefully your parents will let you make more decisions for yourself, even if you are still living with them.  Are you planning to go away to college?  If so, that will give you a chance to live independently of them and make your own decisions as to how to spend your money.

I wish you good luck.

Offline TheMouse

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
My family and friends know I like Katy. I'm not really very "out there" as a Katycat in real life, but I tend to keep my hobbies and interests to myself anyway. I wouldn't say I'm a "closeted Katycat" though.

I'm sort of like you Icypole, my family knows I like Katy Perry. I'm in the my last year of high school, I'll be done here in a month but yeah most of my friends don't know I'm a Katycat and that's alright to me. I guess I'm just not very open about it, maybe someday when I'm older I might be a little more open about, I don't know for sure. I'm just really shy about it. I also like you do tend to keep interests to myself.

I'm much like that too. I think that with each year, I become slightly more open with my fandom. Only a few of my friends and my sisters really know how much of a KatyCat I am. Right now, I'm open to admitting it on social media, but I just try not to post too much Katy stuff and balance it out with other topics so I don't seem over-obsessive and potential employers don't fret if they see me on Twitter & Facebook. Also, to the point of TheMouse, I've thought about getting a Katy t-shirt, but I'm worried about getting misjudged as being gay or acting a bit girlish by random others who pass me by.

Very much agree. I'm a sucker for merch, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable wearing Katy memorabilia in public. I'd buy a shirt and use it for sleep/display. I have a classic rock (Zeppelin, Floyd) image to uphold!
They're interesting thoughts, but a bit sad, too. What if you were gay? Then they would judge you right. Does it matter?
It's probably a difference in age - like I indicated before, I'm past those things, I was more worried about them maybe in 1983, but now I'm just who I am, and who I am is all coincidence anyway. If I'm gay or straight doesn't matter, what a pedestrian in the street thinks of me doesn't matter. And we know, it all hasn't got anything to do with Katy Perry.

It's not a difference in age.  I need to keep my job at all costs, and they make it very clear that they will not hire Katy Perry fans, and that they will not hire "gay" people.  Even if there was a law making it illegal to discriminate against gays, it wouldn't apply to me, since I'm not actually gay, and discrimination is almost impossible to prove anyway (courts usually side with the employer).  Yes, I am a victim of workplace bullying, but there is not a thing I can do about it.

As I said before, I think a major reason why this board has so many male members is because it is the only place where we can talk about Katy without putting our careers in jeopardy.
I was talking about age difference in a completely other context. When you're a teen you have peer pressure which is part of the pain of growing up, and are afraid of not fitting in in a way it doesn't happen when you're 50. Those are two different worlds. The reason why I'm on the forum is not that it's the only place I can talk about Katy Perry but rather because it's a place where the people actually know who I'm talking about. In England, the general public can't distinguish between Katy Perry and Katie Price.
Neither does it seem likely to me that somebody decides not to employ somebody who is a fan of any pop singer, football player, or actor. There might perhaps be a possibility you could have taken a casual remark out of context.
The anti discrimination law is always valid btw, you simply have a case when you're discriminated against, not only in a few individually listed cases. 

The day my friend told me that I'm '...a natural blues singer...' (August 12th 2014) Why can't every day be like that? 

IthinkIwouldcommitsuicideanytimeifitsavedkaty'slifebecauseI'velivedmineandtheworldneedshermore

:firework: :frolickingghost: :firework: :frolickingghost: :firework:

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »
My family and friends know I like Katy. I'm not really very "out there" as a Katycat in real life, but I tend to keep my hobbies and interests to myself anyway. I wouldn't say I'm a "closeted Katycat" though.

I'm sort of like you Icypole, my family knows I like Katy Perry. I'm in the my last year of high school, I'll be done here in a month but yeah most of my friends don't know I'm a Katycat and that's alright to me. I guess I'm just not very open about it, maybe someday when I'm older I might be a little more open about, I don't know for sure. I'm just really shy about it. I also like you do tend to keep interests to myself.

I'm much like that too. I think that with each year, I become slightly more open with my fandom. Only a few of my friends and my sisters really know how much of a KatyCat I am. Right now, I'm open to admitting it on social media, but I just try not to post too much Katy stuff and balance it out with other topics so I don't seem over-obsessive and potential employers don't fret if they see me on Twitter & Facebook. Also, to the point of TheMouse, I've thought about getting a Katy t-shirt, but I'm worried about getting misjudged as being gay or acting a bit girlish by random others who pass me by.

Very much agree. I'm a sucker for merch, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable wearing Katy memorabilia in public. I'd buy a shirt and use it for sleep/display. I have a classic rock (Zeppelin, Floyd) image to uphold!
They're interesting thoughts, but a bit sad, too. What if you were gay? Then they would judge you right. Does it matter?
It's probably a difference in age - like I indicated before, I'm past those things, I was more worried about them maybe in 1983, but now I'm just who I am, and who I am is all coincidence anyway. If I'm gay or straight doesn't matter, what a pedestrian in the street thinks of me doesn't matter. And we know, it all hasn't got anything to do with Katy Perry.

It's not a difference in age.  I need to keep my job at all costs, and they make it very clear that they will not hire Katy Perry fans, and that they will not hire "gay" people.  Even if there was a law making it illegal to discriminate against gays, it wouldn't apply to me, since I'm not actually gay, and discrimination is almost impossible to prove anyway (courts usually side with the employer).  Yes, I am a victim of workplace bullying, but there is not a thing I can do about it.

As I said before, I think a major reason why this board has so many male members is because it is the only place where we can talk about Katy without putting our careers in jeopardy.
I was talking about age difference in a completely other context. When you're a teen you have peer pressure which is part of the pain of growing up, and are afraid of not fitting in in a way it doesn't happen when you're 50. Those are two different worlds. The reason why I'm on the forum is not that it's the only place I can talk about Katy Perry but rather because it's a place where the people actually know who I'm talking about. In England, the general public can't distinguish between Katy Perry and Katie Price.
Neither does it seem likely to me that somebody decides not to employ somebody who is a fan of any pop singer, football player, or actor. There might perhaps be a possibility you could have taken a casual remark out of context.
The anti discrimination law is always valid btw, you simply have a case when you're discriminated against, not only in a few individually listed cases.

That might be the case in the UK, but in the US, we have fewer rights than employees in any other developed nation have, and employment is entirely at will.  In the US, the only protected characteristics are: sex, age (only if over 40), race, disability, color, creed, national origin, and religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_group

Offline prismatic-fan-tastic

• Wannabe
  • Katycat
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 09:15:57 AM »
I think if anyone didn't know I was would know by now as it's literally the only thing I've talked about since seeing her live on this tour. So glad to have found this forum! Being a katycat is the best feeling everrrrrrrrr :firework:
Relatively new to this and loving every second
PWT 28&31st May 2014