Author Topic: Living life as a KatyCat  (Read 867 times)

Offline flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
  • It is all so simple, just deal with it
Re: Living life as a KatyCat
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
My family and friends know I like Katy. I'm not really very "out there" as a Katycat in real life, but I tend to keep my hobbies and interests to myself anyway. I wouldn't say I'm a "closeted Katycat" though.

I'm sort of like you Icypole, my family knows I like Katy Perry. I'm in the my last year of high school, I'll be done here in a month but yeah most of my friends don't know I'm a Katycat and that's alright to me. I guess I'm just not very open about it, maybe someday when I'm older I might be a little more open about, I don't know for sure. I'm just really shy about it. I also like you do tend to keep interests to myself.

I'm much like that too. I think that with each year, I become slightly more open with my fandom. Only a few of my friends and my sisters really know how much of a KatyCat I am. Right now, I'm open to admitting it on social media, but I just try not to post too much Katy stuff and balance it out with other topics so I don't seem over-obsessive and potential employers don't fret if they see me on Twitter & Facebook. Also, to the point of TheMouse, I've thought about getting a Katy t-shirt, but I'm worried about getting misjudged as being gay or acting a bit girlish by random others who pass me by.

Very much agree. I'm a sucker for merch, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable wearing Katy memorabilia in public. I'd buy a shirt and use it for sleep/display. I have a classic rock (Zeppelin, Floyd) image to uphold!

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO

Katycat # 133136
@flapfkp

Offline hbhb97

• Jaw-Dropping
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »
I'm much like that too. I think that with each year, I become slightly more open with my fandom. Only a few of my friends and my sisters really know how much of a KatyCat I am. Right now, I'm open to admitting it on social media, but I just try not to post too much Katy stuff and balance it out with other topics so I don't seem over-obsessive and potential employers don't fret if they see me on Twitter & Facebook. Also, to the point of TheMouse, I've thought about getting a Katy t-shirt, but I'm worried about getting misjudged as being gay or acting a bit girlish by random others who pass me by.
this happens, my friend asked what music I listen to and I said Katy Perry and he replied with something like "oh my god how gay can you get". weird association that people make for no real reason

Offline TheMouse

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »
My family and friends know I like Katy. I'm not really very "out there" as a Katycat in real life, but I tend to keep my hobbies and interests to myself anyway. I wouldn't say I'm a "closeted Katycat" though.

I'm sort of like you Icypole, my family knows I like Katy Perry. I'm in the my last year of high school, I'll be done here in a month but yeah most of my friends don't know I'm a Katycat and that's alright to me. I guess I'm just not very open about it, maybe someday when I'm older I might be a little more open about, I don't know for sure. I'm just really shy about it. I also like you do tend to keep interests to myself.

Very much agree. I'm a sucker for merch, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable wearing Katy memorabilia in public. I'd buy a shirt and use it for sleep/display. I have a classic rock (Zeppelin, Floyd) image to uphold!
They're interesting thoughts, but a bit sad, too. What if you were gay? Then they would judge you right. Does it matter?
It's probably a difference in age - like I indicated before, I'm past those things, I was more worried about them maybe in 1983, but now I'm just who I am, and who I am is all coincidence anyway. If I'm gay or straight doesn't matter, what a pedestrian in the street thinks of me doesn't matter. And we know, it all hasn't got anything to do with Katy Perry.

The day my friend (left) told me that I'm '...a natural blues singer...' August 12th 2014

:firework: :frolickingghost: :firework: :frolickingghost: :firework:

Offline RallyRex

• U think you're a Genius!
  • Katy liked my pizza shirt at PWT Ohio. :)
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 09:08:29 PM »
I used to care a lot about what everyone thought, and always hid the fact that I liked Katy Perry, but I guess something hit me one day and now I couldn't care less who knows or what they think, because it's irrelevant.  Most likely Katy's message of "always stay true to yourself" finally hit home.  I know it's cliche, but that was only one of the many things I changed in my life because of her music/messages, and I actually feel much better about the changes and not caring, than stressing so much over hiding it. 

Some people, most likely those closest to us, won't give a flying crap what we like and not think of us differently either way, but there will always be those people in every stage of our lives that are too insecure to accept others.  That's where Katy's tweet, "Too busy for bullshit" couldn't be more true, because I really am too busy trying to be the best damn person I can be to care about their bullshit anymore!

Lastly, being a car guy, my cars are LOUD and very intimidating, so the reactions I get when people see that, and then hear me blasting Katy Perry are absolutely priceless!   :rofl:
Twitter: @RallyRex1
PWT: | 7/22/14 | 8/2/14 | 8/13/14 | 8/14/14 | 10/11/14 |

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 09:21:23 PM »

That's the thing.  I basically can't use social media at all, since anything and everything that I post can and will be used against me by both my current and future employers.  Basically, the only place I can be myself are anonymous message boards like this one.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »

They're interesting thoughts, but a bit sad, too. What if you were gay? Then they would judge you right. Does it matter?
It's probably a difference in age - like I indicated before, I'm past those things, I was more worried about them maybe in 1983, but now I'm just who I am, and who I am is all coincidence anyway. If I'm gay or straight doesn't matter, what a pedestrian in the street thinks of me doesn't matter. And we know, it all hasn't got anything to do with Katy Perry.

It's not a difference in age.  I need to keep my job at all costs, and they make it very clear that they will not hire Katy Perry fans, and that they will not hire "gay" people.  Even if there was a law making it illegal to discriminate against gays, it wouldn't apply to me, since I'm not actually gay, and discrimination is almost impossible to prove anyway (courts usually side with the employer).  Yes, I am a victim of workplace bullying, but there is not a thing I can do about it.

As I said before, I think a major reason why this board has so many male members is because it is the only place where we can talk about Katy without putting our careers in jeopardy.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 09:29:52 PM »
I used to care a lot about what everyone thought, and always hid the fact that I liked Katy Perry, but I guess something hit me one day and now I couldn't care less who knows or what they think, because it's irrelevant.  Most likely Katy's message of "always stay true to yourself" finally hit home.  I know it's cliche, but that was only one of the many things I changed in my life because of her music/messages, and I actually feel much better about the changes and not caring, than stressing so much over hiding it. 

Some people, most likely those closest to us, won't give a flying crap what we like and not think of us differently either way, but there will always be those people in every stage of our lives that are too insecure to accept others.  That's where Katy's tweet, "Too busy for bullshit" couldn't be more true, because I really am too busy trying to be the best damn person I can be to care about their bullshit anymore!

Lastly, being a car guy, my cars are LOUD and very intimidating, so the reactions I get when people see that, and then hear me blasting Katy Perry are absolutely priceless!   :rofl:

Again, I am who I am, but I can't outwardly project who I am at work (or on social media) since I can't afford to lose my job.

Offline cottoncandycloud9

• Ur Words Flow Like Honey
  • After a hurricane, comes a rainbow
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 09:36:57 PM »

It's not a difference in age.  I need to keep my job at all costs, and they make it very clear that they will not hire Katy Perry fans, and that they will not hire "gay" people.  Even if there was a law making it illegal to discriminate against gays, it wouldn't apply to me, since I'm not actually gay, and discrimination is almost impossible to prove anyway (courts usually side with the employer).  Yes, I am a victim of workplace bullying, but there is not a thing I can do about it.

As I said before, I think a major reason why this board has so many male members is because it is the only place where we can talk about Katy without putting our careers in jeopardy.

UGH that makes me mad and sad that it could put you at such risk. There are some things that are appropriate to be discussed in the work place and some things that aren't. I don't share anything personal about myself at work. I do only work in retail, so basically when a katy perry song comes on over the radio, it's apparent to everyone that I love her. I don't put it out there that much to the extent that it really is. I just don't feel the need to. I don't approach people at work as friends, so I don't let them get to know me. I'm 21, so my "fan girling" seems highly inappropriate for someone of my age, unless of course I'm fan girling over alcohol or marijuana, which I'm definitely not. That's always annoying....being shamed for loving katy and being shamed for not drinking or doing drugs.... :eyes: :eyes:

Offline RallyRex

• U think you're a Genius!
  • Katy liked my pizza shirt at PWT Ohio. :)
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 09:50:41 PM »
Again, I am who I am, but I can't outwardly project who I am at work (or on social media) since I can't afford to lose my job.

Sorry, wasn't really responding to you or anyone in particular, just giving my general thoughts on the original topic, along with my personal experiences.  I truly hope that your situation gets better!   :)
Twitter: @RallyRex1
PWT: | 7/22/14 | 8/2/14 | 8/13/14 | 8/14/14 | 10/11/14 |

Offline KatyCatTorzee

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 10:08:26 PM »
I used to be pretty closeted when it came to Katy due to a lot of people around me saying she was "shitty pop music" but one day I just snapped. I will happily tell people I am a fan and will shut down anyone who tries to put her down. So many people don't know all the good work she does and how amazing she is. I guess it became pretty obvious when I went to the Part of Me Premiere because I posted so many excited statuses leading up to it. When a Katy Perry song comes on the radio or out in public somewhere, my friends will instantly look at me haha.

Although I don't think many people know how obsessed I am (for example, my friend was shocked when I told her how much I was spending for this tour - VIP RS, etc). They can't understand it either, that is not just music or attraction physically that makes me love Katy. This is going to get a bit sappy, but she truly does inspire me. That girl can werk.

^ But similarly to Icypole, in general in a work/meeting new people context, I won't let all my secrets out immediately and like to keep it more as a private life thing (and that is probably why I have no IRL KatyCat friends to go to PWT with  :'( )

Thanks to HOURGLAS4 for sig ^
Sydney CDT 14.5.11
Katy Perry: Part of Me Sydney Premiere 30.6.12

Offline BrennahBooPerry

• Cherry Chapstick
  • Flowers in her hair, she don't care
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 10:13:23 PM »
My family and friends know how much I love her. But my acquaintances know I like her, but not how much. I dont really put it out there, but if someone asks, I wont deny it. I wear Katy tees alot and wear merch and have her pictures. But people are oblivious and dont notice it. I get really excited when Katy comes up in conversations, but I make myself seem calm. Im not closeted, but I dont shout it from the roof tops either.

Offline K8YCat

• Wannabe w. more posts
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »
A high level manager at the company that I work for has gone so far as to say that he would never hire a fan of Katy Perry.  Needless to say, I have to completely hide the fact that I am a fan of Katy.

As I have posted before: for those of you who are still in school and not yet working: the bullying that most of us will have to deal with in the workplace is far worse than anything you have ever experienced in school.  In fact, I basically have to hide everything about myself from my coworkers.   :'(

Well first of all that is illegal of your boss. He has no right to not hire someone based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc... so he definitely can't base it on what you're a fan of in your personal life.  If your resume has great qualifications and ur a good worker and responsible and always on time and you take ur job seriously, liking Katy, or anything else is not a reason to not have u in the company.
OG KatyCat!  <3

Offline Legend-waitforit-daryLove

• The prismatic way of life :-)
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »
@TheMouse: It's nice you say that...I'm slightly more inclined to wear Katy on my chest one day and just ignore the strangers. :thumbzup:

@RallyRex: Hope to be driving like you someday!!

@KatyCatTorzee: I know how you feel...when I got tickets to see Katy on VMA night this past summer, I couldn't find a friend to bring along. I didn't know anyone who would be excited enough to see Katy as I was, plus two of my best friends had school the next day, so sadly, they were not options for me. I had to bring my cousin's friend from New Jersey just so I didn't waste the second ticket I had, but she just casually enjoyed the performance. I truly wish I had that friend IRL that I can share my love of KP with...it would have made that night much more fun for me

Offline K8YCat

• Wannabe w. more posts
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »
I'm so glad you made this thread.  I have so much to say about it.  Where do I even begin? Well I've been a KatyCat since 2008. I fell in love with Katy when I first heard IKAG.  At first of course I didn't know her and I was like googling her and finding other songs and i was like wow this chick is cool. But after I saw her on her first tour HKT I was hooked.  I joined Twitter because of her. Cos she had it and i think said on MySpace that we should get a Twitter (cos it was new then) so i did.
In my life I never really felt like I fit in anywhere. I don't fit into my family and they never make me feel like a part of them or feel welcome with them.  My aunts, uncles and cousins mostly do but not my immediate family (mom, dad and two brothers) My Mom especially always made me feel bad about myself my whole life. she still does. Nothing i do is right, and she always tells me how selfish i am.  I try so hard to be a good person. I don't think i'm selfish.  i care a lot about other people. But i could go on and on about that, i won't.  But she always picked on me for the way i am. Anything i like is stupid and pointless. I try so hard and its never enough and shes never proud of me. Katy never made me feel stupid, or hurt my feelings.  she's never called me horrible things or hit me. She never would. Katy came along and made me feel like I have some worth. She taught me its ok to be myself, and that I matter.
Sometimes I feel like i dont matter. I've been suicidal. If i didnt have her, i literally probably would not be here. I COMPLETELY understand any KatyCat who says that.  Katy got me through a LOT! Dealing with my family, a really bad break up and anxiety issues. It got really hard at times. Times where i couldnt even breathe. And i tried so hard to hang on. 
Yes of course i have posters of her on my walls.  Aside from them making me happy, they've also helped calm me down. something about her eyes and her smile...shes like an angel.
I am a very PROUD KatyCat. I tell everyone I meet.  I'm very big into music anyway...all kinds of music....  and especially at school (I'm in college) people know that. I carry my guitar everywhere.  I'm friends with a lot of people into music anyway. We talk about music a lot and I've always said, i like lots of artists, but Katy has a special place in my heart that no one else can ever fill.
I have a few neighbors on Facebook and my friends, family, friends from school etc.... so they see all my katy posts.  My BFF sometimes teases me, and shes all like "yea your timeline is just katy, katy , katy, kitten, katy" lol  I drive through the neighborhood with "my windows  down and my system up"  (eminem reference lol)  And 90% of the time I'm blasting Katy.  When i lived with my ex (yes it was a she..I go for either or ) She said one day she heard the neighbor pull up blasting Part of Me and she looked out the window cos she thought i was home early, but it wasn't me lol
But really only a KatyCat can understand. Cos my friends will mostly just accept it. But they don't get it and my parents forget them. My mom always makes me feel bad.  She thought i was an idiot for spending $600 on concert tickets. I tried explaining to her how important it was to me.  she didnt understand or care. Living in my house, thank God I have Katy, she's my balance. she's my sanity. sometimes I feel really lonely. But I have her and I have the KatyCats. I never felt like i really belonged anywhere before i met the katycats. you accept me and love me for who i am. You are my family.
Katy has made me a much better person.  Because of her i'm not angry all the time like i used to be. I'm more positive and more patient. I'm more laid back. I'm generally happier and can handle stress easier. 
I tell everyone "Katy and I are a package deal" If you want me, you accept Katy, otherwise go blow! lol
You don't have to be a KatyCat or even listen to her music.  But if you have a problem with her, then i have a problem with you. And I will always side with Katy, so you can't expect me to ever agree with you if ur ever arguing against her.  <3

and as far as that question "what if Katy killed your mother?" yea it's a dumb question...and first off...she WOULDN'T, and IF she did, she had to have had a good reason, and I'd give her a chance to explain!  =)
Well that's it for now. sorry it was so long. Told u i had a lot to say lol

OG KatyCat!  <3

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »
A high level manager at the company that I work for has gone so far as to say that he would never hire a fan of Katy Perry.  Needless to say, I have to completely hide the fact that I am a fan of Katy.

As I have posted before: for those of you who are still in school and not yet working: the bullying that most of us will have to deal with in the workplace is far worse than anything you have ever experienced in school.  In fact, I basically have to hide everything about myself from my coworkers.   :'(

Well first of all that is illegal of your boss. He has no right to not hire someone based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc... so he definitely can't base it on what you're a fan of in your personal life.  If your resume has great qualifications and ur a good worker and responsible and always on time and you take ur job seriously, liking Katy, or anything else is not a reason to not have u in the company.

Unfortunately, it is not illegal.  Race, gender, religion, disability, etc are protected characteristics.  Music preference is not a protected characteristic, so it is completely legal for an employer to discriminate based on music preferences.  Unfortunately, people make all kinds of inferences (both correct and incorrect) about a person based on their music preferences.  Someone knowing that I like Katy would infer that I am childish, feminine, that I am individualistic rather than a conformist, that I stand up for myself and am not a doormat, and that I am a member of the so-called "self-esteem generation" (which isn't even true; many of my elementary school teachers were some of the meanest people I have ever met).  All characteristics, unfortunately, that are disliked by corporate bullies, and all characteristics that are legal to discriminate based on.

For what it's worth, sexual orientation is not a protected characteristic.  But that wouldn't help me anyway, since I am not actually gay, and everyone at my job knows that I am married to a woman.