Author Topic: Living life as a KatyCat  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Kikyo_Cat

• Makes Cupcakes Cry
  • [ ♥ Katy Cat ♥ ]
Living life as a KatyCat
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:24:43 PM »
Because I feel like you guys are the only people in the world that will understand me in this..  :kittypurry:

Besides obvious fangirling all over the internet and at home how many of you are like closet katycats versus like way out in the open about it? Like do all of your family/friends/coworkers/classmates/neighbors know about your love for Katy? Or are you a KatyCat on more of a tame level? I ask this because I tend to be more obnoxious about it IRL then I do online. So knowing me online I probably talk about videogames or whatever more and then if you deal with me on a day to day basis.. Every day is like "being shot with an arrow of katyperryness"

A perfect example. Is I cannot listen to a Katy song in public without going "*gasp* I love Katy Perry!" every time. Like walking through the mall.. or oh god at work. Like.. at work we generally play pandora playlists in some of the rooms (I work at a daycare) and specifically in the infant room it's like every time I walk in a Katy song is on and I'm like *GASP* I LOVE KATY PERRY! and my coworkers are like "...do you really do that every time?" and sure enough.. next time a Katy song comes on it happens again. I don't even notice myself doing it anymore.. I also talk about everything Katy related at work. My boss called me a freak last week because I got a custom hoodie with tiger ears that says ROAR on the back and she said she thinks I need an intervention..

Then obviously my family knows. But it's at the point where my NEIGHBORS know. Like I listen to Katy music with my window open, or talk about seeing Katy or whatever. Like 2 weeks ago I was walking out to my car and one of my neighbors was like "Lauren! I saw Katy Perry on TV the other day and thought of you!" and I was like "OH MY GOSH THANK YOU!" ...yeah

I used to not care at all, but with my boss saying I'm a freak and other people being like "you're so weird" and "you're too old to have posters" "It's not healthy for someone your age to obsess over a singer" etc. I'm starting to feel a little self conscious about it all. Like I have a huuuge Katy Perry wall (ran out of space so I'm working on my second one now..) and I also have another wall dedicated to the videogame I play (League of Legends) but it's like.. is it too much? Is there a point that is considered too much? I know I'm childish but I don't think it's my posters and stuff that make me childish. I wish I could explain to people WHY Katy is such a big part of my life without having to go into so many personal details about my life and sounding like a huge sob story. When people ask why I generally leave it at "I probably wouldn't be here still if it weren't for Katy" because I don't want to have to go into all those details. But instead of positive "I'm so glad she was there for you" or "It's great you found something else to focus on that's positive" I generally get "oh you're just saying that. you don't mean it" "she doesn't even know you exist probably. how could she have helped you?" etc.

Do you guys have similar issues, or no? Do you mostly keep being a katycat to yourself/close friends or are you all as crazy up front about it as I am???  :xxx:

Add Me On Skype! : KikyoCat

Offline love_nohemi

• U think you're a Genius!
  • No Regrets, Just Love
Re: Living life as a KatyCat
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. I grew up in a Latino family, so for them its weird that I listen to Katy, or anyone American. I did keep my KatyCat to myself because they just don't understand. Until I started pimping out my room with Katy. Mom went bonkers! And I'm 20 years old lol! Most of my family know I obsess when a Katy song comes on, but they at least turn it up for me. I did start catching myself saying 'Omg Katy Perry' Everytime someone mentions her or I hear her music. But honestly life as a KatyCat especially in a Latino home is kinda hard. Well in my case. :( but I'm sticking it through.
Grand Rapids 08/10/14 PWT
Auburn Hills 08/11/14 RS PWT

Offline flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
  • It is all so simple, just deal with it
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
That's hilarious to read!

I'm not quite like that, but maybe it's a bit different. I'm male, and high school is cruel. Openly being a Katycat would be the death of me I reckon. But my circle of friends knows, and they playfully give me shit everyday. However, I don't incorporate this IRL much. I'm one to suppress emotion, so if Katy is brought up, I have no visible reaction. For example, a bunch of kids in the hall randomly started singing Hot n Cold. In my mind, all I could think was, "OMG HOT N COLD HOW DO THEY EVEN KNOW THAT"; but I just kept walking with a straight face.

It also took 3 months before I "came out" as a Katycat to my parents; I made them watch KP3D and my mom loves her now. So that worked out well for me. I'm sure other people have more interesting Katycat lives than I do  :hehe:

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO
10/10/14 Houston, TX
10/11/14 Houston, TX

Katycat # 133136
@FLApfkp

Offline Icypole

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:44:12 PM »
My family and friends know I like Katy. I'm not really very "out there" as a Katycat in real life, but I tend to keep my hobbies and interests to myself anyway. I wouldn't say I'm a "closeted Katycat" though.
28/04/11 Melbourne, Rod Laver Arena CDT
14/11/14 Melbourne, Rod Laver Arena PWT
15/11/14 Melbourne, Rod Laver Arena PWT

Offline Kikyo_Cat

• Makes Cupcakes Cry
  • [ ♥ Katy Cat ♥ ]
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »
@ love_nohemi : omg the struggle is real when people MENTION Katy Perry. Oh god. We had 2 new people start at work in the past few weeks and they were talking about how they love the song Dark Horse. Then one of my already existing coworkers was like whispering "shhhh don't talk about Katy Perry when Lau--" OHMYGOSH DID YOU SAY KATY PERRY "...when Lauren is in the room" it's so bad.

@ flapfkp dude my friends give me crap all the time. Though most of my friends are guys and think she's sexy so it works. Like when I met Katy I was telling them about it and they were like "DID YOU TOUCH HER BUTT. DID YOU TOUCH IT" and I'm like "....no" hahaha. Or people like asking me questions like "If Katy Perry killed your mom would you still love her?" like wtf kind of question.. xD

@Icypole I wish I was just less obnoxious and hyper IRL because I get so fangirly that I can't even help it ><;;

Add Me On Skype! : KikyoCat

Offline Icypole

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
@ love_nohemi : omg the struggle is real when people MENTION Katy Perry. Oh god. We had 2 new people start at work in the past few weeks and they were talking about how they love the song Dark Horse. Then one of my already existing coworkers was like whispering "shhhh don't talk about Katy Perry when Lau--" OHMYGOSH DID YOU SAY KATY PERRY "...when Lauren is in the room" it's so bad.

@ flapfkp dude my friends give me crap all the time. Though most of my friends are guys and think she's sexy so it works. Like when I met Katy I was telling them about it and they were like "DID YOU TOUCH HER BUTT. DID YOU TOUCH IT" and I'm like "....no" hahaha. Or people like asking me questions like "If Katy Perry killed your mom would you still love her?" like wtf kind of question.. xD

@Icypole I wish I was just less obnoxious and hyper IRL because I get so fangirly that I can't even help it ><;;

The struggles of life as a Katycat. :lol:
28/04/11 Melbourne, Rod Laver Arena CDT
14/11/14 Melbourne, Rod Laver Arena PWT
15/11/14 Melbourne, Rod Laver Arena PWT

Offline DianiniKat

• Got a Bloody Knee
  • One of the boys!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 11:08:27 PM »
She is my life  :dreamboat:
♥ Katy Perry ♥
I will love you UNCONDITIONALLY
17*10*2014

Offline mitsguy2001

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • Katycat
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:28:59 PM »
A high level manager at the company that I work for has gone so far as to say that he would never hire a fan of Katy Perry.  Needless to say, I have to completely hide the fact that I am a fan of Katy.

As I have posted before: for those of you who are still in school and not yet working: the bullying that most of us will have to deal with in the workplace is far worse than anything you have ever experienced in school.  In fact, I basically have to hide everything about myself from my coworkers.   :'(

Offline TheMouse

• I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 11:43:01 PM »
For me, perhaps things are a bit different from most because I'm older, and quite independent, and also past the age where I would still have any kind of peer pressure. I'm a singer and guitar player, and while I've largely retired from (at least trying to) making a living through music I often go out to small venues where I do like 15 minute slots simply for the pure joy of it, and those in the audience who know me might assume they will hear at least one Katy Perry song on a night when I've turned up. And that's true, I haven't done a set until Katy has made an appearance, even if in one and a half octaves only, as I couldn't cope with singing her full range note by note  :lol: .
Haha, I might not go like 'omg, I love Katy Perry', but e.g. when I walk into my local supermarket and a Katy track is playing it's quite normal for me to kind of dance from one aisle to the next and sing along with it  :lol: also, I'm in such a fantastic mood then that I'm much more extra friendly to the staff at the checkout etc, it has its desirable effects on my environment, haha!
My friends, the imaginary ones as well as those few others, all know that I'm a fan in spite of my age -  but then it isn't so totally odd for them (yes, for those few others in particular) because I've been an active music guy always, and they're always fans of somebody or something musical for their whole life. Most people I know have posters of Bob Dylan or some folk band at home, my Prism and TD posters may be a bit different but they're not sooo out of this world either, haha
I did read about KatyCats who look for Katy Tshjrts without her face on them, but I wear preferably the one now I got in one of the arenas with the Prism portrait of hers, know which one I mean? Again, I'm just past the age now to feel such shyness about it  :lol:
People usually talk to me about music in general but then also about Katy Perry, and I mostly answer a couple of questions they might have about her but then try changing the conversation by asking them about something completely different, so in my environment I don't really have the problem of perhaps being too much in their face about my 'obsession', haha, on the contrary I want to convey the message to them - 'it's okay, we can talk about something else now, tell me what news you've got!'  :lol:
I couldn't say that I wouldn't be here without Katy because the worst things in life all happened before Katy Perry, but as she does motivate me a lot concerning many things, and make my life better and much more beautiful I openly say so if that occasion arises, it isn't like somebody mentioned a keyword and I'd go on about it forever, but simply saying how things are for me,
My fan thing is a bit different maybe, I keep searching YouTube for videos of the warped tour times etc and spend the night working out Katy's original guitar parts to her old songs, I would guess most KatyCats won't be doing that and for me it's the most important thing in order to 'connect' with her, and of course, as a straight man I do see a lot the actual woman Katy in Katy Perry, and I can always be open about that, it doesn't seem strange to people hahaha!

❤ Kitty Purry is my favorite cat ❤

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline mitsguy2001

• Katycat
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:48:07 PM »
For me, perhaps things are a bit different from most because I'm older, and quite independent, and also past the age where I would still have any kind of peer pressure.

Unfortunately, in corporate America, you are never past the age where you have to deal with peer pressure, since you are forced to conform if you want to keep your job.  Unfortunately, the bullies who run businesses in the US are not the type of people who like Katy Perry.

All I can do is hope that if and when the economy improves, employers will no longer be able to afford to discriminate against otherwise good employees due to petty reasons (which they seem to think are a proxy for personality traits) such as music tastes, outside hobbies, what kind of animals you like, etc.

TheMouse: Your case is different, since you are basically self-employed.

Offline TheMouse

• I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 12:07:07 AM »
My case is different again because I retired in 2010.  :xxx:

❤ Kitty Purry is my favorite cat ❤

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline DillNewt24

• Be Proud of Who You Are!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 12:23:01 AM »
My family and friends know I like Katy. I'm not really very "out there" as a Katycat in real life, but I tend to keep my hobbies and interests to myself anyway. I wouldn't say I'm a "closeted Katycat" though.

I'm sort of like you Icypole, my family knows I like Katy Perry. I'm in the my last year of high school, I'll be done here in a month but yeah most of my friends don't know I'm a Katycat and that's alright to me. I guess I'm just not very open about it, maybe someday when I'm older I might be a little more open about, I don't know for sure. I'm just really shy about it. I also like you do tend to keep interests to myself.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:07:42 AM by DillNewt24 »

Twitter: @DillNewt

Offline mitsguy2001

• Katycat
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 07:33:43 AM »
My case is different again because I retired in 2010.  :xxx:

You would have been 47 in 2010.  Is that a typical retirement age in the UK?  If so, I'm jealous.

Offline hbhb97

• Jaw-Dropping
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
When people ask who my favorite musician is I'm hesitant to say it's Katy Perry but I usually end up telling them, not too open or secretive about it

Offline Legend-waitforit-daryLove

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • The prismatic way of life :-)
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »

I'm sort of like you Icypole, my family knows I like Katy Perry. I'm in the my last year of high school, I'll be done here in a month but yeah most of my friends don't know I'm a Katycat and that's alright to me. I guess I'm just not very open about it, maybe someday when I'm older I might be a little more open about, I don't know for sure. I'm just really shy about it. I also like you do tend to keep interests to myself.

I'm much like that too. I think that with each year, I become slightly more open with my fandom. Only a few of my friends and my sisters really know how much of a KatyCat I am. Right now, I'm open to admitting it on social media, but I just try not to post too much Katy stuff and balance it out with other topics so I don't seem over-obsessive and potential employers don't fret if they see me on Twitter & Facebook. Also, to the point of TheMouse, I've thought about getting a Katy t-shirt, but I'm worried about getting misjudged as being gay or acting a bit girlish by random others who pass me by.