Author Topic: What was the intended target audience of "I Kissed a Girl"?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
Re: What was the intended target audience of "I Kissed a Girl"?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »
she kissed girls on numerous occasions, in front of people, mostly her friends, though. She's not talking about french kiss in the song, but more of tiny kiss on the lips, which is why it's not offensive to LGBT, as it's a kiss that shows more affection than love (often seen between moms and children for exemple.
And target : anyone who wants to dance on a cheeky song with a good rythm.

I disagree.  The song has the line "I hope my boyfriend don't mind", implying that she is cheating on her boyfriend.  It has the line "you're my experimental game", implying that she plans to try something unusual with her.  It has the line "I don't even know your name", implying that she has no emotional intimacy with the woman.  It has the line "It's not what good girls do", implying that whatever she is doing is deviant behavior.

Offline flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
  • It is all so simple, just deal with it
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 10:24:27 PM »
she kissed girls on numerous occasions, in front of people, mostly her friends, though. She's not talking about french kiss in the song, but more of tiny kiss on the lips, which is why it's not offensive to LGBT, as it's a kiss that shows more affection than love (often seen between moms and children for exemple.

I disagree.  The song has the line "I hope my boyfriend don't mind", implying that she is cheating on her boyfriend.  It has the line "you're my experimental game", implying that she plans to try something unusual with her.  It has the line "I don't even know your name", implying that she has no emotional intimacy with the woman.  It has the line "It's not what good girls do", implying that whatever she is doing is deviant behavior.

So what is it you're looking for? People have given answers to the question "What was the intended target audience of "I Kissed a Girl?", but so far you've denied them all. Do you actually plan on accepting an answer? Because if not, we all know this thread is heading towards an inevitable lock.

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO
10/11/14 Houston, TX

Katycat # 133136
@flapfkp

Offline OfficiallyAKatyKat4Life

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • Bring The Beat Back...
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »
Shortest answer possible: young people

And it was successful because it's catchy, and a little edgy. Doesn't need to be looked into much further, it's a good pop song plain and simple.

i personally dont feel like it was really "targeted" at anyone specifically..just kinda a fun song which mostly younger people would probably catch on to..i dont think theres really much more to it

Young people of both genders and all sexual orientations?  I'm not sure about that.  As I said before, it is offensive to lesbians and to straight men.  And targeting it toward straight women seems strange too, since it promotes behavior that Katy herself does not partake in.  I wonder if perhaps many of the people who liked the song back in 2008 just thought it was catchy and didn't pay much attention to the lyrics.  Kind of like how so many people think Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is a patriotic song, and so many people think Whitney Houston's (originally Dolly Parton) "I Will Always Love You" is a love song.

ok so you ask us who do we think the song was targeted at,we give you our opinion…and then you disagree with it?whats the point of starting a thread,asking a question,and then saying that we're all wrong?….this is so pointless,idk why you keep starting these types of threads.. :eyes:

Took A Selfie With Katy in Anaheim 09.16.14 :dreamboat:
Katy Cat #23892
PWT:9-16,17 & 22-2014
Twitter:@KatysSoyQuiche
PHHHOTO:walshiee
ps..forgive me for misspelling my username :-[

Offline DillNewt24

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • Be Proud of Who You Are!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 12:48:53 AM »
Shortest answer possible: young people

And it was successful because it's catchy, and a little edgy. Doesn't need to be looked into much further, it's a good pop song plain and simple.

i personally dont feel like it was really "targeted" at anyone specifically..just kinda a fun song which mostly younger people would probably catch on to..i dont think theres really much more to it

Young people of both genders and all sexual orientations?  I'm not sure about that.  As I said before, it is offensive to lesbians and to straight men.  And targeting it toward straight women seems strange too, since it promotes behavior that Katy herself does not partake in.  I wonder if perhaps many of the people who liked the song back in 2008 just thought it was catchy and didn't pay much attention to the lyrics.  Kind of like how so many people think Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is a patriotic song, and so many people think Whitney Houston's (originally Dolly Parton) "I Will Always Love You" is a love song.

ok so you ask us who do we think the song was targeted at,we give you our opinion…and then you disagree with it?whats the point of starting a thread,asking a question,and then saying that we're all wrong?….this is so pointless,idk why you keep starting these types of threads.. :eyes:

I definitely agree if your not going to be open minded and respectful to other peoples opinions, then why did you even start this thread. Everyone is not going to have the same opinion as you, but disagreeing with everyone's opinion is just wrong.

Twitter: @DillNewt

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:30 AM »
All I can still say about this is, that's what I call looking too deeply into things.
About the line you mention, 'hope my boyfriend don't mind', to me it implies the contrary of what you suggest - that her kissing a girl doesn't mean anything. The phrase doesn't mean much specifically either. I give you another example - about 7 years ago I decided to have my long ponytail cut off and wear a short haircut instead, and at the time I was literally thinking, 'I hope she (my girlfriend) doesn't mind' - it's a very common phrase to turn up on somebody's mind for any reason.
'It's not what good girls do' is just pure irony, and if you insist on the word: perhaps 'targeted' towards the silly behavioural codes of society. There was a time when sitting without her legs crossed was 'not what a good girl does', the line is there for a joke.
'I don't even know your name' doesn't mean emotional indifference, we can't pick out single phrases and give so much weight to them out of their context.
Generally, marketing a song doesn't work by trying to design it for a narrowed, limited target group, I'd have thought that must be quite logical in terms of marketing, the song you've chosen to analyse doesn't really contain and imply a lot of social issues; like others said, it's a fun song, and the fact that it was something different from the usual just helped with getting attention which made it into a hit.
Katy is well known for writing anti-love songs; OOTB is full of them, and even on TD, as with Wide Awake, they still turn up. She's an artist who's a bit different in that respect, but to overanalyse songs and even make deep societal issues of them would be an exaggeration; with her songs, Katy doesn't try to go deep into things like Berthold Brecht or Bob Dylan would have done, it's all about pop and having fun with it on one side, and being involved in the big entertainment industry on the other.

❤ Kitty Purry is my favorite cat ❤

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 07:30:54 AM »
The question of who the target audience of the song was has already been answered, and I accepted the answer.  My disagreement was with the interpretation of the song.  But that's ok; we're all going to interpret songs differently.  Differing interpretations are ok, since they increase the number of people who can appreciate a song.  For example, there are several songs on Prism that some interpret as religious songs, other interpret as sexual songs, and some interpret as neither.  Unless Katy comes forward with an official interpretation, people can interpret those songs however they relate to and however helps them enjoy the song the most.  And, as I said, I suspect that "I Kissed a Girl" is similar to "Born in the USA" or "I Will Always Love You" in that many casual fans of the songs haven't listened closely to the lyrics.

I also don't agree with the statement that nobody tries to target a song to a specific audience.  I think it's obvious (and others here have said) that artists such as Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and Demi Lovato specifically target their songs to teenage girls.  Obviously they all have some fans that are not teenage girls, but that is their target audience.  Nothing wrong with that.  Since "I Kissed a Girl" was Katy's first hit, I wasn't sure what audience, if any, she was targeting with it, since she did not yet have an established fanbase.

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
  • http://yoppappop.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »
i really doubt that there's more in that specific song that you would like to think there is... but whatever floats your boat. she said many many many many times in different interviews asking her about a deep meaning of this song that... there isn't any. not more than "just a fun pop song".

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »
i really doubt that there's more in that specific song that you would like to think there is... but whatever floats your boat. she said many many many many times in different interviews asking her about a deep meaning of this song that... there isn't any. not more than "just a fun pop song".

If Katy herself said that there is no deeper meaning, then I trust that it is true.  I did wonder if perhaps it could have been a metaphor for the struggle about doing things that feel good in the short term but feel wrong in the long term.  That is something that we all struggle with to some degree.  In this case, the actual activity does not matter (in this case, kissing a member of the same sex, when you are in a committed relationship with a member of the opposite sex), just that it feels good in the short term but wrong in the long term.  But, assuming what you say is accurate, then I guess that is not what Katy intended with the song.

On another note: there are 3 elements of any song: the lyrics, the arrangement, and the voice.  It is possible to like one or 2 elements without liking all.  I get the feeling that the arrangement is the most popular element of I Kissed a Girl.  A 4th, more personal element, which is out of the artist's control, is associations that one has with a song.  That is why people often most prefer music from their teenage years, since that is an era of ones life where you have a lot of positive associations.  To give a non-Katy example: Rihanna's song S&M: I do not like the lyrics at all, but I do like the fun arrangement, and I do like Rihanna's voice a lot (she has a very beautiful voice), and I first heard that song while on vacation in 2011, so I have a positive association with that song.  I don't have much association either way with I Kissed a Girl.

Offline OfficiallyAKatyKat4Life

• Bring The Beat Back...
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 01:14:46 AM »

If Katy herself said that there is no deeper meaning, then I trust that it is true.  I did wonder if perhaps it could have been a metaphor for the struggle about doing things that feel good in the short term but feel wrong in the long term.  That is something that we all struggle with to some degree.  In this case, the actual activity does not matter (in this case, kissing a member of the same sex, when you are in a committed relationship with a member of the opposite sex), just that it feels good in the short term but wrong in the long term.  But, assuming what you say is accurate, then I guess that is not what Katy intended with the song.

i dont mean this in a rude way,but maybe do some research on a topic/question like this before starting a thread about it.a question like this could be quickly cleared up with just watching a few interviews katy's done for it.im assuming all or most of us have done that,thats why we gave the answers we did..were just repeating what katy herself said.thats all.

Took A Selfie With Katy in Anaheim 09.16.14 :dreamboat:
Katy Cat #23892
PWT:9-16,17 & 22-2014
Twitter:@KatysSoyQuiche
PHHHOTO:walshiee
ps..forgive me for misspelling my username :-[

Offline CiaraCandyCat

• A Dead Battery
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »

The line about the boyfriend was meant kinda sarcastically because its a very common thing for straight men to find the idea of lesbian activity attractive (not all straight men obviously, but a LOT, especially teens/college age) and as Conalae mentioned, there are always girls in clubs that will almost make out as a kind of silly cheeky game. Also in relation to the experimental line, just think of young straight women "experimenting" in college, you hear it all the time and it's in so many movies and TV shows.

I think the only group it caused some widespread offense to were lesbians because when it first came out, some said the song fetishized their sexuality, but as I've mentioned in a previous post, I know lesbians IRL who think the song is hilarious and harmless. It all depends on interpretation as with most songs, and that's fine.  :)

It was a perfect pop song for radios and clubs, so yeah, I'd say the target audience was simply listeners of catchy pop music, and this song had cheeky, edgy lyrics to make it an even bigger hit.  :)

Nov 7th 2011 - #DublinDreams
May 7th 2014 - Belfast #PrismaticWorldTour
Twitter: @lollipocalypse_
Tumblr: bogey-lowenstein.tumblr.com

Offline rapture

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »
The question of who the target audience of the song was has already been answered, and I accepted the answer.  My disagreement was with the interpretation of the song.  But that's ok; we're all going to interpret songs differently.  Differing interpretations are ok, since they increase the number of people who can appreciate a song.  For example, there are several songs on Prism that some interpret as religious songs, other interpret as sexual songs, and some interpret as neither.  Unless Katy comes forward with an official interpretation, people can interpret those songs however they relate to and however helps them enjoy the song the most.  And, as I said, I suspect that "I Kissed a Girl" is similar to "Born in the USA" or "I Will Always Love You" in that many casual fans of the songs haven't listened closely to the lyrics.
Different interpretations, not obvious/straightforward is characteristic of art.

It isn't maths where everything is exactly described in the rules/conventions and even in maths it's possible to have multiple ways to get to the correct answer.
I also don't agree with the statement that nobody tries to target a song to a specific audience.  I think it's obvious (and others here have said) that artists such as Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and Demi Lovato specifically target their songs to teenage girls.  Obviously they all have some fans that are not teenage girls, but that is their target audience.  Nothing wrong with that.  Since "I Kissed a Girl" was Katy's first hit, I wasn't sure what audience, if any, she was targeting with it, since she did not yet have an established fanbase.
The song was controversial for some uptight people on the right because of the subject of kissing girls and some lesbians on the left. Already mentioned are the male fantasy of girls making out with each other and girls like to do it.
15/10/2011 O2 Arena, London
26/10/2011 NIA, Birmingham
10/05/2014 Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle: Katy touched my hand
31/05/2014 O2 Arena, London

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »

The line about the boyfriend was meant kinda sarcastically because its a very common thing for straight men to find the idea of lesbian activity attractive (not all straight men obviously, but a LOT, especially teens/college age) and as Conalae mentioned, there are always girls in clubs that will almost make out as a kind of silly cheeky game. Also in relation to the experimental line, just think of young straight women "experimenting" in college, you hear it all the time and it's in so many movies and TV shows.

I think the only group it caused some widespread offense to were lesbians because when it first came out, some said the song fetishized their sexuality, but as I've mentioned in a previous post, I know lesbians IRL who think the song is hilarious and harmless. It all depends on interpretation as with most songs, and that's fine.  :)

It was a perfect pop song for radios and clubs, so yeah, I'd say the target audience was simply listeners of catchy pop music, and this song had cheeky, edgy lyrics to make it an even bigger hit.  :)

Good point that even different people who are in the same situation are going to feel differently abut things.  Some people feel that humor is a good way to defuse a tense situation.  Others feel that humor is treating a serious issue as if it's a joke.  Neither is right or wrong, and it's often difficult to know which category somebody belongs to, and easy to get yourself in trouble.

Offline Squeeniex27

• Makes Cupcakes Cry
  • The light has come
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
I think it was overall targeted for anyone, but mostly young people. I mean, it's just a fun song that young people could dance too. I mean heck! I was in 5th grade when it came out, 11 years old, and I remember dancing and singing like crazy to it and no one cared! haha its a fun song for anyone in my opinion
Prism: let the light in

Offline CharlieLezz

• Kissed a Girl - And Liked It!
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 09:00:04 PM »
I think that since the music industry now a days is so demanding for new and unique artists and styles, I reckon there wasn't necessarily a target audience for this song, but instead it was intended to really put herself on people's radar (due to the element of controversy since no one had really touched on that topic before)
Hammersmith Apollo : 19/3/11
Wembley Arena : 9/4/11
O2 Arena : 15/10/11

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 11:43:09 PM »
I think that since the music industry now a days is so demanding for new and unique artists and styles, I reckon there wasn't necessarily a target audience for this song, but instead it was intended to really put herself on people's radar (due to the element of controversy since no one had really touched on that topic before)

A "what if" that I have always wondered about (but obviously won't ever know the answer to) is whether or not Katy would have become popular if her first single had been either "Hot n Cold" or "Thinking of You".  Katy had narrowed her choice of first single down to these 3 songs.  "Hot n Cold" and "Thinking of You" are both non-controversial, but would they have been unique enough for radio stations to play them by a then completely unknown artist.

For what it's worth, the radio station that I listen to (an adult contemporary station) does not and has never played "I Kissed a Girl", but it did and still does play "Hot n Cold", as well as all of Katy's other singles (but not "Thinking of You", for some reason).  Apparently they thought "Hot n Cold" was good enough to play when they had no precedent for playing Katy's songs at the time.