Author Topic: What was the intended target audience of "I Kissed a Girl"?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
Something I've always wondered is, what was the intended target audience of "I Kissed a Girl"?  It clearly was not targeted at lesbians, since they are very hurt (and understandably so) when a straight woman hits on them without being interested in them.  In the song, Katy calls the girl her "experimental game", which I don't think anyone would take as a compliment.  It was obviously not targeted at straight men, since it encourages women to cheat on straight men.  Was it targeted at straight women?  That's possible, though it's surprising that Katy would encourage straight women to do something that she herself doesn't do.  If it was targeted at straight women (or any other demographic), what age group?  I always assumed that it was targeted at teenage girls, but I read here that the "One of the Boys" album wasn't too popular with teenage girls.  Plus, the song mentions drinking, which teenagers are too young to do legally in the US.  I can't figure out what demographic the song is targeted at, but given how popular it is, it must be targeted at someone.

Offline steviep24

• Fierce
  • I'm wide awake!
Re: What was the intended target audience of "I Kissed a Girl"?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »
Alternative Rock/College Radio crowd I'm guessing but IKAG went mainstream anyway.
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:22 PM »
Alternative Rock/College Radio crowd I'm guessing but IKAG went mainstream anyway.

That makes sense.  But when it went mainstream, what was its audience?  Literally the only person I know of in real life who likes that song is a straight female who was in her late 20s at the time.  Obviously more people like the song, so I'm wondering what gender, age, and sexual orientation they are.  Even if someone is "mainstream" their fanbase can still be limited.  (for example, Miley Cyrus can be considered "mainstream", but her fanbase is almost entirely teenage girls).

Offline katykicksass

• A Dead Battery
  • Once a KatyCat, Always a KatyCat
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 11:26:33 PM »
Katy's fan base is all different ages.
06/30/11 Toronto, Air Canada Centre
07/18/14 Toronto, Air Canada Centre
07/21/14 Toronto, Air Canada Centre

Offline SpecialK959

• Cherry Chapstick
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:47:54 PM »
Shortest answer possible: young people

And it was successful because it's catchy, and a little edgy. Doesn't need to be looked into much further, it's a good pop song plain and simple.

Offline OfficiallyAKatyKat4Life

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • Bring The Beat Back...
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »
i personally dont feel like it was really "targeted" at anyone specifically..just kinda a fun song which mostly younger people would probably catch on to..i dont think theres really much more to it

Took A Selfie With Katy in Anaheim 09.16.14 :dreamboat:
Katy Cat #23892
PWT:9-16,17 & 22-2014
Twitter:@KatysSoyQuiche
PHHHOTO:walshiee
ps..forgive me for misspelling my username :-[

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:36:46 AM »

I know that.  But I was asking about one specific song, not Katy's fan base in general.  As I have said before, one of Katy's strengths is the diversity of her music.  But the flipside to that is that not all of her songs are going to appeal to every one of her fans.  For example, she clearly does not intend for "Peacock" and "By the Grace of God" to be listened to by the same fans.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:41:56 AM »

And it was successful because it's catchy, and a little edgy. Doesn't need to be looked into much further, it's a good pop song plain and simple.

i personally dont feel like it was really "targeted" at anyone specifically..just kinda a fun song which mostly younger people would probably catch on to..i dont think theres really much more to it

Young people of both genders and all sexual orientations?  I'm not sure about that.  As I said before, it is offensive to lesbians and to straight men.  And targeting it toward straight women seems strange too, since it promotes behavior that Katy herself does not partake in.  I wonder if perhaps many of the people who liked the song back in 2008 just thought it was catchy and didn't pay much attention to the lyrics.  Kind of like how so many people think Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is a patriotic song, and so many people think Whitney Houston's (originally Dolly Parton) "I Will Always Love You" is a love song.

Offline katykicksass

• A Dead Battery
  • Once a KatyCat, Always a KatyCat
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »
Dude, it's just a song. Get over it.
06/30/11 Toronto, Air Canada Centre
07/18/14 Toronto, Air Canada Centre
07/21/14 Toronto, Air Canada Centre

Offline SpecialK959

• Cherry Chapstick
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »

Young people of both genders and all sexual orientations?  I'm not sure about that.  As I said before, it is offensive to lesbians and to straight men.  And targeting it toward straight women seems strange too, since it promotes behavior that Katy herself does not partake in.  I wonder if perhaps many of the people who liked the song back in 2008 just thought it was catchy and didn't pay much attention to the lyrics.  Kind of like how so many people think Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is a patriotic song, and so many people think Whitney Houston's (originally Dolly Parton) "I Will Always Love You" is a love song.

What!? Are you seriously declaring that it is offensive to the LGBT community? You cannot speak for an entire group of people.

And Katy did partake in the behavior, she has said numerous times before it is playful song about being attracted to another girl, not necessarily in a sexual way just innocently wanting to explore a feeling. This also can be picked up when really listening to the lyrics.

Offline SpecialK959

• Cherry Chapstick
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 09:53:14 AM »

I know that.  But I was asking about one specific song, not Katy's fan base in general.  As I have said before, one of Katy's strengths is the diversity of her music.  But the flipside to that is that not all of her songs are going to appeal to every one of her fans.  For example, she clearly does not intend for "Peacock" and "By the Grace of God" to be listened to by the same fans.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I think MANY would disagree with that, for instance I really like both of those songs.

I think that's actually a perfect example of why I love her, her range in song choice/thematic material.

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 11:20:58 AM »

I think MANY would disagree with that, for instance I really like both of those songs.

I think that's actually a perfect example of why I love her, her range in song choice/thematic material.
All people have many facets to themselves - to me, those two songs are two of her best! There aren't individually designed songs produced for selected target groups.

❤ Kitty Purry is my favorite cat ❤

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline Conalae

• 1st Degree Stalker
  • #FireworkBoobs
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »
Straight Men loved I Kissed a Girl back in 2008, it's more of a turn on than an offensive song, and straight females just saw it as a song celebrating how awesome and sexy women are. It's still played pretty much weekly on the Pop/Cheese/80s dancefloor in the club I go to and straight females love to pretend to -almost- make out to the song. Even groups of straight guys occasionally pretend to be flirty with each other during it.

It was aimed at people who listened to Mainstream Pop Radio. Doesn't matter if you're a 5 year old girl or a 60 year old gay man, if you listened to Pop radio they wanted you to buy it. It probably skewed more to straight young adult females though, but that's pretty much the demographic of pop radio anyway.
'The Moral of the story is that if you're gonna party hard in Vegas, don't be a pussy.'

Offline 1stTimeKatyCat

• Little Voyeur
  • That's our Katy Perry for you.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
I honestly don't think it was fully intended for Mainstream, but oh well. It's the song that boosted our Katy to where she is now, same with Hot N Cold, Teenage Dream, California Gurls and Last Friday Night. Oh, and Roar.  ;)

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
  • http://yoppappop.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »
she kissed girls on numerous occasions, in front of people, mostly her friends, though. She's not talking about french kiss in the song, but more of tiny kiss on the lips, which is why it's not offensive to LGBT, as it's a kiss that shows more affection than love (often seen between moms and children for exemple.
And target : anyone who wants to dance on a cheeky song with a good rythm.