Author Topic: Did Katy copy Katy Keene?  (Read 793 times)

Offline BirthdayCat

• Wannabe w. more posts
  • Pop Your Confetti
Did Katy copy Katy Keene?
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
Wether she did or didn't, I like this idea. Katy Keene is very sexy and fashionable.

I've looked at some more photos from this comic, I've seen some amazing ideas for This is How We Do, Pearl, Legendary Lovers, Spiritual, more..

Make it like your birthday everyday :)

Offline katykicksass

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • Once a KatyCat, Always a KatyCat
Re: Did Katy copy Katy Keene?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
http://katyperryforum.com/index.php?topic=12502.2520

Discussion on page 169. No, Katy did not copy this Katy Keene character. It's just some freaky coincidence.
06/30/2011 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/18/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/21/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre

Offline steviep24

• Fierce
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »
I wouldn't say she copied Katy Keene directly but we all know she is inspired by the 1940's pin up look, especially during the OOTB era. So it's kind of a coincidence they're so similar.

It's kind of old news really. We had a thread back in 2011 about Katy Keene. :) http://katyperryforum.com/index.php?topic=10958.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:45:54 PM by steviep24 »
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »
I don't know how I could call it a coincidence - they're not 'similarities' but obvious direct copies in methodical succession. For which reason would I have to deny the obvious and maintain they weren't?

Me and my new ADMIRA from Spain are gonna be one damn firework.
I love her unconditionally.

:firework: :frolickingghost: :firework:

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline Conalae

• 1st Degree Stalker
  • #FireworkBoobs
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »
I don't know how I could call it a coincidence - they're not 'similarities' but obvious direct copies in methodical succession. For which reason would I have to deny the obvious and maintain they weren't?

It's only copied if you assume Katy Keene is the only Pin-Up Girl to exist before Katy Perry.
'The Moral of the story is that if you're gonna party hard in Vegas, don't be a pussy.'

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »

It's only copied if you assume Katy Keene is the only Pin-Up Girl to exist before Katy Perry.
But I'm only talking about the comic character, not real ones, and Katy isn't a pin-up at all. The jungle queen, Japanese, and a few others wouldn't be found multiple times in various comics.

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline Conalae

• 1st Degree Stalker
  • #FireworkBoobs
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »

But I'm only talking about the comic character, not real ones, and Katy isn't a pin-up at all. The jungle queen, Japanese, and a few others wouldn't be found multiple times in various comics.

Katy Keene is the "Queen of Pin-Up Fashion". If you're saying Katy Perry copied Katy Keene then Katy Perry is Pin-Up, and if you're saying Katy Perry is pin-up there's thousands of girls that she has been influenced by.

Oh, unless I misread and you said she wasn't copying her. Katy has always said her fashion is inspired by Pin-Up girls though.
'The Moral of the story is that if you're gonna party hard in Vegas, don't be a pussy.'

Offline Carmenxox

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I can see the writing on the wall
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
Either way, both Katy's are bloody awesome!  :pinkbow:

Proud Katycat #5998

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »

Katy Keene is the "Queen of Pin-Up Fashion". If you're saying Katy Perry copied Katy Keene then Katy Perry is Pin-Up, and if you're saying Katy Perry is pin-up there's thousands of girls that she has been influenced by.

Oh, unless I misread and you said she wasn't copying her. Katy has always said her fashion is inspired by Pin-Up girls though.
That's  right though, I meant to say Katy copied from the books. What's important to me is not to talk about 'Katy Keene' as a person, she didn't exist, it's a toon. And those books are like scrap books of a fashion designer. There's only the one character ('Katy Keene') and the 'similarities' are just a long string of copies when I look at them. Every fashion exists initially just on a drawing board, and the toon was just convenient.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 11:42:11 AM »
Katy was obviously influenced by Katy Keene, even if she didn't directly copy her.  It makes no sense to say that it's just coincidence.

Offline JustWokeUpInVegas

• Purrrfection
  • So, this is what I get?
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
Those are some freaky coincidences indeed.

Offline DillNewt24

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • Be Proud of Who You Are!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
Those are some freaky coincidences indeed.

You're not kidding, it's crazy how similar the outfits are!

Twitter: @DillNewt

Offline SpecialK959

• Cherry Chapstick
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
Guys c'mon, there is no way these are coincidences. 

It is obviously a huge source of inspiration and foundation for her look, nothing wrong with that.

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »

It is obviously a huge source of inspiration and foundation for her look, nothing wrong with that.
I'm so with you, that's just the point - there's nothing wrong with it!  :)

Offline SantaBarbaraKitty

• Makes U Spark A Firework
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »

Exactly.  Copying has a negative connotation, so I wouldn't call it that.  But every artist draws inspiration from different sources, and this comic seems to be a great source of female empowerment and fashion.  I would love to get my hands on some issues :)