Author Topic: Why is "Ur So Gay" so popular on this board?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
Re: Why is "Ur So Gay" so popular on this board?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 09:12:30 PM »
You dug so deep you're basically in China right now... Or as your "friend" would say : you're rolling in the deep... :hehe: (yeah, i'm proud of me for this one). Anyway.

This is a silly song. Written as a silly break-up song. End of story, no double standards as to say : if a guy pointed out every single stereotypical stuff that annoyed him with a girl he just broke up with, it would be just that : a silly break-up song. It's actually making fun of the "girl" stereotypes, not the person with the stereotypes... The guy version would be how the girl plays with his video games, drink beer and eats pizza in front of a football game, etc. Neither guys OR girls actually NEED SPF45 just to stay alive => ridiculous stereotype. Same goes for the electric car : stupid stereotype that it's a "girly car". Same for every single "flaw" she cites about him : all of them are "girl" stereotypes she's making fun of ! In the form of a silly break-up song.

And i don't think people "like the song so much", i think you maybe you "hate it so much"... And maybe the fact that you say repeatedly that you don't like that song and don't understand why people would like it annoys other people, hence maybe some more than needed full-frontal reactions... I don't recall reading about a song ANYONE in here would dislike as much as you say everytime you get the opportunity how you don't like Ur so gay.

Do you mind showing me where I've posted before that I don't like this song?  I don't believe I have.  And one of my mentions of the song was in a thread started by someone else, "most unfavored Katy song", so I was completely justified in posting about it there.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 09:13:57 PM »
That was definitely a well-thought-out post...

Do you think it's possible that you're over-analyzing this just a bit?

Exactly my thought. No offense mits but I got half way through your post and thought 'oh I get the idea of this, I'll scroll to the bottom!' In my opinion you are ridiculously over analyzing what is a very simple song.

I can't see why such an opinion of yours deems it's own thread. It's not like we don't already have a thread to express your opinion on the song Ur So Gay.

*likes Olivia's China comment as if it were an awesome Facebook status* Haha.

If you can't be bothered to actually read my entire post, then why do you waste time with a nonsense response to it?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
To all of the people telling me that I am taking the song too seriously: society allows you to say that to me, only because I am a straight, white, Christian, male.  If I was a minority or was gay, or was Jewish or Muslim, you would be taking me seriously.  Seems like a double standard.  It seems that if a minority or a Muslim or a Jew complains, the song in question is edited or banned.  But since I am a straight, white, Christian male, it seems I'm expected to just keep my mouth shut.  Double standard.  And you can't say that this doesn't happen, since you all know that the Dark Horse video was edited when Muslims complained about it.  Katy did not simply tell them that they were taking it too seriously or that it's just a song.  Again, a double standard.

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • don't be basic
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
You dug so deep you're basically in China right now... Or as your "friend" would say : you're rolling in the deep... :hehe: (yeah, i'm proud of me for this one). Anyway.

This is a silly song. Written as a silly break-up song. End of story, no double standards as to say : if a guy pointed out every single stereotypical stuff that annoyed him with a girl he just broke up with, it would be just that : a silly break-up song. It's actually making fun of the "girl" stereotypes, not the person with the stereotypes... The guy version would be how the girl plays with his video games, drink beer and eats pizza in front of a football game, etc. Neither guys OR girls actually NEED SPF45 just to stay alive => ridiculous stereotype. Same goes for the electric car : stupid stereotype that it's a "girly car". Same for every single "flaw" she cites about him : all of them are "girl" stereotypes she's making fun of ! In the form of a silly break-up song.

And i don't think people "like the song so much", i think you maybe you "hate it so much"... And maybe the fact that you say repeatedly that you don't like that song and don't understand why people would like it annoys other people, hence maybe some more than needed full-frontal reactions... I don't recall reading about a song ANYONE in here would dislike as much as you say everytime you get the opportunity how you don't like Ur so gay.

Do you mind showing me where I've posted before that I don't like this song?  I don't believe I have.  And one of my mentions of the song was in a thread started by someone else, "most unfavored Katy song", so I was completely justified in posting about it there.
Specifically remember you calling it 'a piece of garbage' one time. And not on that thread.

Ah, here we are http://katyperryforum.com/index.php?topic=130.msg719146#msg719146
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:40:15 PM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »
Nobody complained about DH as a song and its contents. The small visual detail in the video had nothing to do with the song; you're mixing things up perhaps.
But for somebody who normally wants Katy Perry to universally rule the world of pop industry, isn't this topic kind of - blasphemy?  :lol:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:54:17 PM by TheMouse »

❤ Kitty Purry is my favorite cat ❤

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
  • It is all so simple, just deal with it
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »
Again, I am not trying to sound rude, but I just want to re-ask an honest question that you didn't answer: are you so de-sensitized to bullying and to double standards that you just accept it as the way things are?  Have you been indoctrinated by your teachers and parents to just keep your mouth shut and accept things?

Also, how would you feel if the song was being sung by a male singer, about an overly masculine ex-girlfriend?  If you would feel differently about it, then why the double standard?

Again, I do thank you for your honest and well thought out response.

I think the first question you asked can be compared to the following: If I had a friend text me in response to a joke I made saying "I'll kill you", would you say I'm desensitized to murder to where I just accept it? The answer is obviously no, as to believe so would be an obvious case of over-analyzation.

But, whether fairly or not, in many contexts, such as in school or in an airport, that would be taken seriously, even if you clearly intended it as a joke.  Also, if you are killed, your friend, whether fairly or not, will be the prims suspect.

I definitely am not desensitized to bullying; I have experienced it first-hand. I just don't see this song as bullying. Something about the eye of the beholder?

I'm guessing you've never dealt with the form of bullying I am talking about, where you are labeled "gay", and when you state that you are not gay, you are accused of being homophobic.  It is the worst kind of bullying since there is absolutely no way to defend against it.

This will be my final post regarding the subject, as I now remember why I didn't want to respond. Any point I make, you go out of your way to try and disprove it. I don't think it's fair for you to (falsely) jump to conclusions like that because you don't agree with my answer. It's very difficult to respect your opinion when you quite obviously don't respect anyone else's.

*EDIT* For Christ's sake, stop with those fragmented quotes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:15:59 PM by flapfkp »

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO
10/11/14 Houston, TX

Katycat # 133136
@flapfkp

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• don't be basic
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
YES THIS. Sorry to complain but i don't think you realise how much you mess the posting up and how difficult you make it for people to reply back to you when you do this.

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 11:26:34 PM »

Specifically remember you calling it 'a piece of garbage' one time. And not on that thread.

Ah, here we are http://katyperryforum.com/index.php?topic=130.msg719146#msg719146

First of all, that thread and the one I mentioned are likely the only times I ever mentioned how much I hate that song.  Secondly, you were the one who brought up that song in that thread, and I was just responding.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 11:27:12 PM »
Nobody complained about DH as a song and its contents. The small visual detail in the video had nothing to do with the song; you're mixing things up perhaps.
But for somebody who normally wants Katy Perry to universally rule the world of pop industry, isn't this topic kind of - blasphemy?  :lol:

I don't just blindly like every song just because it's by Katy.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Real Fan
  • Katycat
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »
YES THIS. Sorry to complain but i don't think you realise how much you mess the posting up and how difficult you make it for people to reply back to you when you do this.

If you don't like my style of quoting, then don't respond to my posts.   You have been completely rude to me every time you've responded to me the entire time I've been on this board.

Offline Iced Diamonds

• Wannabe Stalker
  • I love angel eggs
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 11:43:16 PM »

I don't just blindly like every song just because it's by Katy.
Neither.. I don't love peacock. Doesn't mean imma go create a thread about how it's so offensive or whatever. Sometimes people get the song and sometimes they don't. They're not actually written or sung to intentionally piss anyone off.  :eyes:
♥ 7th May, Auckland, NZ - The most magical night ever - I MET KATY ♥♥♥!! I ♥ you KPF!
Katycat #2407

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
  • http://yoppappop.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 01:45:15 AM »

Yes i do mind, for several reasons : 1) i don't have time for this, 2) i really don't think it's either interesting or constructive, 3) even if i did it, and quoted you, there would either "not be enough quotes" for your taste to "justify" my point, or worse, you would find a reason for each one of these quotes, saying it doesn't make my point, and i'm being mean to you, and bullying you and what not *sad face*. That's how it goes almost everytime you try to pass a very personal opinion as a very big truth and people try to tell you that it's not. I'm not going into this.
You asked a question in this thread, i answered it giving you my opinion, as it is not a yes/no question with a universal truth for answer, hence the personal opinion lying in everyone's answer here.
I won't go further in the debate.

Offline OfficiallyAKatyKat4Life

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • Bring The Beat Back...
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 03:28:09 AM »

Took A Selfie With Katy in Anaheim 09.16.14 :dreamboat:
Katy Cat #23892
PWT:9-16,17 & 22-2014
Twitter:@KatysSoyQuiche
PHHHOTO:walshiee
ps..forgive me for misspelling my username :-[

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• don't be basic
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 05:44:41 AM »

If you don't like my style of quoting, then don't respond to my posts.   You have been completely rude to me every time you've responded to me the entire time I've been on this board.
Please explain to me how, in any way, that post is rude ^^. And the only reason people are ever 'rude' to you on here is because you make them mad enough to be. And what's the big problem with quoting the way we're supposed to? The way that doesn't make responding back a lot more difficult than it should be for others? Courtesy - it doesn't hurt.

First of all, that thread and the one I mentioned are likely the only times I ever mentioned how much I hate that song.  Secondly, you were the one who brought up that song in that thread, and I was just responding.
Why are you so desperate for this to be an exception? You asked to be shown where you've posted that you don't like Ur So Gay and I did it for you... so there... I'm not being unreasonable.
I honestly didn't want to get involved in yours and Olivia's discussion, I just remembered that you have definitely mentioned, at least once, that you don't like Ur So Gay.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:04:35 AM by OneOfKatysBoys »

@contraduncan

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 06:24:06 AM »
...but how can anybody even feel like...'HOW MUCH I HATE THAT SONG'...if I feel that upset about a writer's/singer's output I just don't bother at all...

:condom:

❤ Kitty Purry is my favorite cat ❤

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant