Author Topic: Petition to UNcensor Katy's Dark Horse video  (Read 702 times)

Offline goodsamaritan1127

• Wannabe Wannabe
  • Katycat
Petition to UNcensor Katy's Dark Horse video
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:54:20 PM »
Hi. censorship is wrong. youtube is stifling katy's freedom of speech and freedom of expression

the majority of americans and the rest of the world are on my side. Let's say fu to censorship.  Sign my petition.  Let's not allow corporations and government to tell us what is right and what is wrong. No nanny state

sign this petition and share it with everyone you know.i want at least 50,000 sigs. We have a voice too,we have a side to our argument too.Youtube is not the mediator of what is right or wrong. Power belongs to the people not corps

http://www.change.org/petitions/youtube-google-katy-perry-put-back-the-allah-thing-in-the-katy-perry-music-video-dark-horse#share

Offline wowitsjoey

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
Re: Petition to UNcensor Katy's Dark Horse video
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:22:36 PM »
While I agree that censorship is wrong, especially from the government, I don't think I necessarily agree that Katy should bring back the Allah pendant. I don't think you realize that it was probably Katy's decision to remove the pendent from the video NOT Youtube. It has created much controversy and I'm sure Katy did not mean to offend anyone, especially as she did not design the costumes. Katy or her label probably saw the petition and had it edited out and asked Youtube to upload the edited version. I just want to make one thing clear though if Youtube changed it themselves, which I'm sure they did not, it would be legal. Youtube is a private entity and because their videos are their business they can remove any video or edit any video that they find tarnishes the value of their site. Freedom of Speech only protects us from prosecution from the government. Another thing to set the record is that ANY petition in question does not mean Youtube has to remove a video anyways as they are private and it's not illegal to remove it or keep it. Overall I think that people need to move on from this topic and see that Katy did not mean to harm anyone and neither Katy or the Islamic community are bad people.

Online flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
  • It is all so simple, just deal with it
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:20 PM »
People seem to think freedom of speech means people can say whatever they want without consequence. News flash: it's not. Yes, right now, according to the US Bill of Rights, I can say whatever I want without fear of being arrested or having government interference (unless I'm seen as a terrorist, which btw, I'm not). Having said that, Youtube is a private entity. If Youtube (Google) feels that the video will harm/hurt either their image or profits, they have the right to do whatever they want with it. After all, they're not the government. In this case, it hurt Katy's image more than Youtube's. So in order to calm the storm (which was surely never foreseen), they edited it out. It's not as if the necklace was an important part of the video.

So while I'm sad to see people freak out over essentially nothing, given the response, the right thing was done.

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO

Katycat # 133136
@flapfkp

Offline TheMouse

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:37:41 AM »
I agree with the responses above!
If Katy and her team informed YouTube that they wished for the editing, or if YouTube informed them that the editing will have to be done is a question which remains open to me, and I wouldn't take either for granted without a statement from either, but it was done 1. In Katy's interest, 2. in her fans' interest, 3. in the interest of YouTube as a business.
If Katy suggested editing in the way it's been done or not, either way she would agree to the now status quo; I think it unimaginable that she would wish for reversing it, and by signing the above mentioned petition I'd act against her interests (no matter how futile such a petition may be anyway).
Nobody was forced, legally or otherwise, to do the editing, but somebody, whoever it was, decided it was to be done for good reasons.
For Katy the change of a small detail like this one is certainly meaningless; if I had watched the video many times before and many times after I couldn't have noticed the difference. If that difference is so important to some weird people, be it because they're religious fanatics, simply stupid trouble stirrers   or for whatever reasons, that should be meaningless to us, too; imagine what a sad life they must have!

I believe that the person who suggested to hang all those pendants on the actor's chest didn't know what any of them means; Katy didn't chose them, and wasn't aware if it either - but it is Katy who has been aggressively accused and abused for desecrating a sacred symbol where in reality she hadn't even noticed there was one. To stop that misguided accusation is the main reason why it was removed from the video image, and that should be understandable.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:44:53 AM by TheMouse »

:) She gave me my guitar back...
She gave me my voice back...

...and I have opened one that leads me to the perfect road :firework:

...what more could I want? :frolickingghost: :frolickingghost: :frolickingghost:

Online steviep24

• Wants to See Your Peacock
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 06:47:19 AM »
I'm against censorship but in this case Katy and her team or whomever edited the video did the right thing. Reversing the change is just not worth the trouble. So I'm not signing.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/music-news/playing-with-magic-backfires-on-katy-perry-s--dark-horse--video-183042137.html

And it doesn't matter. The real problem is in the comments section of the video.

EDIT: Removed statement from Katy.

Katy hasn't actually made a statement regarding Dark Horse video as of yet and the idiots at Yahoo quoted the one she made defending her AMA performance.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:54:40 PM by steviep24 »
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
  • http://yoppappop.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 08:36:42 AM »
Religion has no place in entertainment, unless it's a religious entertainment... So i'm all for not mentionning any religion in music videos, especially when it's hurtful to those in this religion. The Hallah necklace had nothing to do with the storyboeard or the song, in my humble opinion, it shouldn't have been there in the first place. I'm not for OVEREACTING but i'm for peace and respect. Muslim people found it disrespectful, it has no point in the video => it's out. Good thing.

Gaga lavishing in Catholic crosses was NOT respectful, and i think it's the same problem and should have been modified. But somehow, it didn't, for some reason that i don't get right now (Gaga's power ? Catholic people not caring about it ? People not being afraid of catholic people as they are afraid of Muslim all for the wrong reasons but that's a fact ? i don't kow).

Offline TheMouse

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »
Religion has no place in entertainment, unless it's a religious entertainment... So i'm all for not mentionning any religion in music videos, especially when it's hurtful to those in this religion. The Hallah necklace had nothing to do with the storyboeard or the song, in my humble opinion, it shouldn't have been there in the first place. I'm not for OVEREACTING but i'm for peace and respect. Muslim people found it disrespectful, it has no point in the video => it's out. Good thing.

Gaga lavishing in Catholic crosses was NOT respectful, and i think it's the same problem and should have been modified. But somehow, it didn't, for some reason that i don't get right now (Gaga's power ? Catholic people not caring about it ? People not being afraid of catholic people as they are afraid of Muslim all for the wrong reasons but that's a fact ? i don't kow).

I think it's a cultural thing; Lady Gaga doesn't have power over YouTube or anything else which isn't her property, nor are people generally afraid of Muslims. The reason why it is removed is promotional and commercial.
Catholics don't just have a different religion, they are of a different mentality in a different culture. Yes, it's unlikely that so many of them would think it worth to cause such a stir, they're perhaps somehow more grown up in some respects?
Religion has never been portrayed in the video however, as has often been pointed out, and it isn't mentioned as such by a chance prop amongst thousands of props in a 3 minute clip.
 It is not an offence to show, even by chance, a religious symbol in a music video, the problem was the image of it being destroyed, not that it was there. 

...what more could I want? :frolickingghost: :frolickingghost: :frolickingghost:

Offline Carmenxox

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • I can see the writing on the wall
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
I have to agree with the majority here and I'm not signing any petition. The whole thing is complete and utter madness really.

I strongly believe Katy and her staff had no ill intent on the video but if Muslims are finding it insulting, so be an edit of the video. It's doing a lot more harm keeping the video as it is than amending it.

It is not an offence to show, even by chance, a religious symbol in a music video, the problem was the image of it being destroyed, not that it was there. 

This.

Proud Katycat #5998
"You are never fully dressed without a smile" - Katy Perry

Online steviep24

• I'm wide awake!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »
I have to agree with the majority here and I'm not signing any petition. The whole thing is complete and utter madness really.

I strongly believe Katy and her staff had no ill intent on the video but if Muslims are finding it insulting, so be an edit of the video. It's doing a lot more harm keeping the video as it is than amending it.

This.
Exactly! And as I said the real problem is with the YouTube comments. Many of them are hateful on both sides. Telling Katy to go to Hell and all that stuff. And the Illuminati bullcrap? Come on!  :eyes:
Never grow up!

6/30/2011 Toronto ACC

Offline wowitsjoey

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »

I think we can clearly come to the conclusion that Lady Gaga can get away with a lot more than any other artist right now no matter what she's doing because everyone says she's doing it for art reasons.  :ummno: I do agree with you though about how religious symbols shouldn't be used unless the song itself has religious symbols in it. Not only because it can offend people, but every artist who does it becomes a target for illuminati claims and hateful spews.

Offline TheMouse

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »

I think we can clearly come to the conclusion that Lady Gaga can get away with a lot more than any other artist right now no matter what she's doing because everyone says she's doing it for art reasons.  :ummno: I do agree with you though about how religious symbols shouldn't be used unless the song itself has religious symbols in it. Not only because it can offend people, but every artist who does it becomes a target for illuminati claims and hateful spews.
So you think being careful not to do anything which the illuminati lunatics could use for their fried-brain fantasies is the way to go? In that case you may as well abolish half of the contents which have ever been posted on YouTube. And again, not even the nutcase from Bradford said he was offended because the symbol was IN the video, he professed to be offended because it was shown being destroyed.

Online steviep24

• I'm wide awake!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »
Here's a thought: If that man was wearing a crucifix would there be such outrage? I highly doubt it.

Or how about this classic video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fzeNUqQbQ That one did have a lot of outrage back in the day but it was never censored.

Never grow up!

6/30/2011 Toronto ACC

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »

I think it's a cultural thing; Lady Gaga doesn't have power over YouTube or anything else which isn't her property, nor are people generally afraid of Muslims. The reason why it is removed is promotional and commercial.
Catholics don't just have a different religion, they are of a different mentality in a different culture. Yes, it's unlikely that so many of them would think it worth to cause such a stir, they're perhaps somehow more grown up in some respects?
Religion has never been portrayed in the video however, as has often been pointed out, and it isn't mentioned as such by a chance prop amongst thousands of props in a 3 minute clip.

i know that Gaga doesn't have "power" on youtube, i meant it like she facinates people with her crap saying it's art, so people don't react the same way. Or don't care saying "oh yeah, she did it again... Whatever." I was raised Catholic, grew up agnostic, and her ridiculous antics in that video bothered me.

As for people being afraid of Muslims, i really think it's true, not for everyone of course, but in the sense where "Muslims" are mistaken for "terrorists" due to some events, in some people's mind... And since internet doesn't have a "stupidity filter", they get to flow the world with their ignorance.

As for the destruction of the religious sign, i took a shortcut i shouldn't have, you're right. It is the destruction of the necklace that is offensive, i got that. But if it hadn't been there in the 1st place, it wouldn't have been destroyed :-) and since it had no point to be there, it shouldn't have been. It's like people tattooing things in foreign languages and having stupid typos on their skin for ever : WHY ? Or at least, make all the verifications necessary before putting yourself in such a situation... See what i mean ? When you put foreign signs or words in a video or something, i think the least you could so is 1) make sure it is necessary, 2) make sure you know what it means and 3) make sure what you do with it is ok... These verifications were not done this time, and it created a undesired fuss. I hope i made my point clearer this time.

As for Catholic people being "more grown up in some respects" i very doubt so... Even though their stir don't go towards religious signs, because they're mainly respected as it is the principal religion in the occidental world, they do know how to create a fuss about what really bothers them, for some reasons (hello gay civil mariage and abortion)... So no, not more grown up, maybe bothered by other problems.

Not even going with the Illuminati crap. The world is bored, they don't know what to come up with.

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
Here's a thought: If that man was wearing a crucifix would there be such outrage? I highly doubt it.

Or how about this classic video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fzeNUqQbQ That one did have a lot of outrage back in the day but it was never censored.

the fact is that it is forbidden by their religious laws to destroys Hallah or its representation (and they don't have the right to give Him a face either, a French paper learnt it the bad way when they did a satiric comic about the gods of some monotheist religions once... Bad methods, they burnt the place down because of that comic giving a face to Hallah). I don't think such a thing is mentionned in the Catholic books, even though i would understand the parallel. But it is cleary stated in their books, hence the reaction i guess.

And Madonna stirred some shit up with this video, but back in the time, there wasn't the possibility to become such a global problem, internet was not the same as it is now ! Everything goes faster, bigger, harder now. But it was condemned by the Vatican if i'm not mistaking.

Offline Conalae

• 1st Degree Stalker
  • #FireworkBoobs
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »
Tbh the only reason it should've been removed is because it wasn't historically accurate.
'The Moral of the story is that if you're gonna party hard in Vegas, don't be a pussy.'