Author Topic: Tell me about yourselves KatyCats!  (Read 481 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Head-Turning
  • Katycat
Re: Tell me about yourselves KatyCats!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »
Is there any way to look up statistics as to the gender breakdown of this forum?  Or the average age?

It seems there is a stereotype that almost all of Katy's fans are female.  I, however, am a 34 year old straight, married male.

I wonder if maybe why this board might have a disproportionate number of men (or at least why many of the more active members are men) could maybe be because us guys have fewer opportunities to talk about Katy in our everyday lives.  So this forum is really the only place where we can openly talk about her.

Anyway, I don't use Twitter.  I'll later re-post the fairly detailed story about how I became a Katy Cat, which I've posted in other threads, but will repost for the benefit of the OP.

Welcome to the forum!
Good thing I bookmarked this.  ;) http://katyperryforum.com/index.php?action=stats
The the forum layout was changed a little over a year ago and the button for this went awol.  :lol: Another thing we lost is the ability to embed YouTube videos. You'll see that in older posts where the links have a youtube code at each end.

Interestingly, there are more men than women on this board!  Again, I suspect that could be because us men have fewer opportunities to talk about Katy in real life than women do.  It's also interesting that the 3 years with the fewest number of posts (2008, 2010, and 2013) are the years that her albums were released.  I would have thought those years would have had the most number of posts.  Strange.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Head-Turning
  • Katycat
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »
Since I promised the OP that I'd post about how I became a Katycat:

I must have been a little behind the curve, since the first time I heard of Katy Perry was on Friday, Jan. 2, 2009.  I was at karaoke with my girlfriend (who is now my wife) and a female friend.  Some girl sang "I kissed a girl", and our friend told me that she "loves that song".  I had never heard of it, nor had my girlfriend.  I can't say I really liked that song, to be honest.  (My other memory of that night was a drunk guy hitting on my girlfriend, but then being polite enough to ask if she was my girlfriend.  When I said yes, he then left her alone, but told me that I was very lucky!)

The first song of Katy's that I really liked was Hot 'n Cold.  I heard it on the radio in early 2009, and I checked online to see who sang it, and I was surprised to see it was Katy Perry.  Later that year, I first heard Waking Up in Vegas, and liked it too.  But I still hadn't envisioned that I'd become as a big a fan of Katy's as I became.

The summer and fall of 2010 was a very busy and stressful time for me, both personally and professionally.  I was getting married (in November 2010), which was complicated by the fact that I was in a long distance relationship, and the wedding was out of state.  Unfortunately, this coincided with a very busy period at work, where I was expected to work a ridiculous amount of overtime.  No matter how much I worked, I would get yelled at for "not working enough overtime", and I was constantly being told that I was "lucky I still have a job, and that I haven't been laid off".  I worked as much as I could, but I was busy with finding a place for my wife and I to live, and everything associated with that, and buying furniture, and actually moving.  Plus, with the wedding being out of state, I had to travel 4 times to meet with the priest, as well as attend a mariage preperation program mandated by the Catholic church.  It was very frustrating how the situation at work was turning what should have been a happy time in my life into a nightmare.

We all remember that during the summer of 2010, California Gurls was the most played song on the radio.  Hearing that song when driving home from work would be one of the few bright spots that summer.  It was such a fun, pleasant song, that would put me in a good mood no matter how busy I was work with and with moving and wedding preparations.  Plus, there is just something about Katy's voice that has such a calming effect on me, and can calm me even when I am stressed.  Can others relate to that?

However, Teenage Dream was the first one to really blow me away!  I first heard Teenage Dream on Friday, Oct. 29, 2010, which was just 15 days before my wedding (which was Nov. 13, 2010).  That was the right song at the right time, since that song made me picture myself being on my honeymoon!  I was born in 1979, and I feel that much of Katy's music, including that song, remind me of the songs I grew up with during the 80s and 90s.  I was also blown away by how beautiful Katy's voice sounded in that that song, and I really liked how the song started off soft and high pitched, and her voice got progressively stronger to symbolize her realationship getting more serious.  I think part of why I feel such a personal connection to Katy is because of the timing of when I first heard Teenage Dream, and the fact that I got married only a few weeks after her, but my marriage is much happier than Katy's was.

Another one of Katy Perry's songs that I really like is Firework.  For some reason, that song makes me feel as if a close friend is singing it to me.  I can't think of any other songs by any other artist that make me feel that way.  I saw Katy Perry's movie in July 2012, and that too made me feel a close connection to her, and gain even more admiration for her.

At least to my ears, Katy's voice has such as soft, pleasant quality to it, combined with a lot of power.  Regardless of the song, I find that her voice has a calming effect on me.  I could never understand why many people feel that Katy can't sing or that she has a weak voice.  Even if you don't like her songs (not everyone is going to like the same songs), I don't understand why people can't at least appreciate how beautiful her voice is.  I wish people would listen to more of her songs, since they are so diverse; even if you don't like one of her songs, there are likely other songs of Katy's that they would like, if they gave them a chance.

When Katy's next album, Prism was released, I became an even bigger fan!  I like seeing how much Katy has matured over the years, and how diverse that album is.  Prism really has something for everyone, and I enjoy every song on that album!  My 2 favorite Prism songs are Unconditionally, and By the Grace of God.

Offline steviep24

• Wants to See Your Peacock
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »
Is there any way to look up statistics as to the gender breakdown of this forum?  Or the average age?

It seems there is a stereotype that almost all of Katy's fans are female.  I, however, am a 34 year old straight, married male.

I wonder if maybe why this board might have a disproportionate number of men (or at least why many of the more active members are men) could maybe be because us guys have fewer opportunities to talk about Katy in our everyday lives.  So this forum is really the only place where we can openly talk about her.

Anyway, I don't use Twitter.  I'll later re-post the fairly detailed story about how I became a Katy Cat, which I've posted in other threads, but will repost for the benefit of the OP.

Welcome to the forum!
Good thing I bookmarked this.  ;) http://katyperryforum.com/index.php?action=stats
The the forum layout was changed a little over a year ago and the button for this went awol.  :lol: Another thing we lost is the ability to embed YouTube videos. You'll see that in older posts where the links have a youtube code at each end.

Interestingly, there are more men than women on this board!  Again, I suspect that could be because us men have fewer opportunities to talk about Katy in real life than women do.  It's also interesting that the 3 years with the fewest number of posts (2008, 2010, and 2013) are the years that her albums were released.  I would have thought those years would have had the most number of posts.  Strange.
Not really that strange. The albums don't generate as much buzz but tours and live performances do. Especially when an opportunity to meet Katy comes up. When Katy's tour gets going this place will really be jumping. The forum staff will do Meet and Greet contests for each show. Then all of a sudden Katycats who never post on the forum show up to apply for a Meet and Greet pass.
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline Candy

• Wannabe w. more posts
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 12:33:52 PM »
I'm a girl, but my husband loves Katy too! He doesn't read or post here though.  ;)
I've loved Katy since the first time I heard I Kissed a Girl on a friend's MySpace page years and years ago. I don't post a lot, but I read the forum quite often. I'm a member of a few other forums and it seems like this place is much friendlier than most. KatyCats are awesome!  :katycat4: