Please login or register. April 20, 2014, 05:56:18 AM

Author Topic: Which songs best show off the beauty of Katy's voice  (Read 511 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
Which songs best show off the beauty of Katy's voice
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »
We all agree that Katy has a very beautiful voice, but not everyone realizes that, mostly because some of Katy's songs show off her voice more than others, and most people have not heard all of her songs.

Which songs do you think best show off the beauty of her voice (not necessarily songs that you like the best)?  I'd say definitely her ballads best show off her voice.  She needs to do more ballads, and promote them more.  Many people who have never heard any of her ballads just assume she wouldn't be able to sing a ballad.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Also, one of her greatest strengths is the emotional quality of her voice, so her emotional songs really show off her voice.

In no particular order, I'd say songs that really show off her voice are Not Like the Movies, Wide Awake, Unconditionally, By the Grace of God, Pearl, and The One That Got Away.  Of her #1 hits, I'd say Teenage Dream and Firework show off her voice (although I wouldn't really classify either as a ballad), although some people don't think her voice sounds that great in Firework.  I think that Firework is designed to push the limits of her range, which, artistically, fits well with the song, but I think many people that don't understand Katy or don't understand that song don't understand that.  Another ballad that I think really shows off the emotional quality of her voice is Thinking of You, although some people don't think her voice sounds that good in that song either.  So I guess it's all a matter of opinion.  I also really like her voice in E.T., since it sounds so different than any other songs of hers.

Offline JustWokeUpInVegas

• Lost Control
  • So, this is what I get?
Re: Which songs best show off the beauty of Katy's voice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 01:07:15 PM »
Of course, it's the two songs she wrote coming back to making a record. Not Like the Movies and By The Grace Of God.
She does great also on Thinking Of You. Those are one of my favorites.  :)

Offline SantaBarbaraKitty

• Makes U Spark A Firework
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »
I agree that By the Grace of God, Firework, and Thinking of You best show off her voice!

Offline katycat4life1

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm CrayCray. Just thought I would let u know :P
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »
Firework, By the Grace of God, Unconditionally, Pearl, The One That Got Away

Proud Katycat #52620

Offline TheMouse

• I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »
A lot of the unreleased tracks from years ago do that, I find, those which were there before the OOTB album. Don't ask me which ones, I never remember what's they're called, but I've got them lined up somewhere on YouTube. I think it's more the rock and roll type of things I'm thinking of, I love Katy singing best when the music is a bit more raw, and she also, haha.
Meanwhile I don't even find Firework such a difficult song to sing compared to Unconditionally, and there isn't such a big range in it at all that it would push Katy's limits. People are impressed by those long drawn out notes, but they're not high notes,  and the tune is not as difficult as in the chorus of Unconditionally. I think BTGOG is one of those which bring out the best, of the new ones, with TOY it depends - live version of Warp Tour yes, studio version maybe no.

What's the point of being on my worst behaviour when Katy isn't looking?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »
Seems almost everyone here seems to agree with me.  I know that some of my posts on this topic have been unpopular: but do you agree with me that Katy needs to heavily promote a song that showcases the beauty of her voice, in order to prove to the world that she has a great voice and that she can really sing?  Even if people don't like the song itself as much as her hits from Teenage Dream, at least she'd be able to shut up the naysayers who still insist that she can't sing.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 12:02:27 AM »
A lot of the unreleased tracks from years ago do that, I find, those which were there before the OOTB album. Don't ask me which ones, I never remember what's they're called, but I've got them lined up somewhere on YouTube. I think it's more the rock and roll type of things I'm thinking of, I love Katy singing best when the music is a bit more raw, and she also, haha.

Do any of her songs from One of the Boys, Teenage Dream, or Prism display that quality that you like?

Meanwhile I don't even find Firework such a difficult song to sing compared to Unconditionally, and there isn't such a big range in it at all that it would push Katy's limits.

You've said in other threads that Firework is very difficult to sing, and that it has too wide a range for you to sing.

People are impressed by those long drawn out notes, but they're not high notes,

But still, if people are impressed by them, then that's a good thing.  I actually think most people underestimate how difficult Firework is to sing.

and the tune is not as difficult as in the chorus of Unconditionally. I think BTGOG is one of those which bring out the best, of the new ones, with TOY it depends - live version of Warp Tour yes, studio version maybe no.

That all makes sense.

Offline TheMouse

• I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 02:44:50 AM »

Do any of her songs from One of the Boys, Teenage Dream, or Prism display that quality that you like?

Meanwhile I don't even find Firework such a difficult song to sing compared to Unconditionally, and there isn't such a big range in it at all that it would push Katy's limits.

You've said in other threads that Firework is very difficult to sing, and that it has too wide a range for you to sing.

People are impressed by those long drawn out notes, but they're not high notes,

But still, if people are impressed by them, then that's a good thing.  I actually think most people underestimate how difficult Firework is to sing.

and the tune is not as difficult as in the chorus of Unconditionally. I think BTGOG is one of those which bring out the best, of the new ones, with TOY it depends - live version of Warp Tour yes, studio version maybe no.

That all makes sense.
IKAG is perhaps one song which Katy saved from her time before the more pop like things came, because it was a big hit, and on Prism I can think of TIHWD, it's that very expressive presentation of a song which isn't too serious, but I don't know how that relates really, I think the first answers in the thread come closer to what you wanted to know.
But I think most people don't actually sing, so they couldn't over or underestimate anything really.
Yes, difficult for me to sing, but that doesn't mean for everybody else, there is a difference between someone who tours through the world's biggest arenas and me singing at people's weddings.  :lol:
I got the impression it depends more on the arrangement and the occasion than on a particular song, for example I never thought Unconditionally brings out the best in Katy until I heard the recent version with two acoustic guitars on two TV shows and now I think, that way, it does.

What's the point of being on my worst behaviour when Katy isn't looking?

Offline OfficiallyAKatyKat4Life

• Dirty Doggy
  • "who's dropping farts in Candyfornia?"
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 03:29:34 AM »
Unconditionally and Firework for sure!..also TOY,i think theres just a lot of emotion in that song with the lyrics so as a whole it just shows off her voice more,plus that will always be one of my favorite katy songs. :dreamboat:

Still waiting to meet her...one day :bambi:
Katy Cat #23892
Twitter @KatysQuicheness
PWT 9-17-14 & 9-22-14
ps..forgive me for misspelling my username :-[

Offline TheOnlyWayIsPerry

• Cherry Chapstick
  • On the road less traveled
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 05:26:01 AM »
Thinking of you  :kittypurry:
Patiently waiting for 27/5/14

Offline Icypole

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 08:10:38 AM »
Thinking of you  :kittypurry:

Definitely. I also love her voice when she sings The One That Got Away live.

Offline erickamae10

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • nothing's free except loving me <3
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »
It would be Thinking of You, Firework, and It Takes Two but I can say that her voice is great in all the other songs too. I chose Thinking of You because it shows off the ranges of her voice, Firework because of her belting power and It Takes Two because of the rawness of her voice. I find it hard singing most of Katy's song, so I think that's a great proof that Katy's voice is powerful and beautiful.  :strawberry:
@erickamae10
I love you guys...
we love you too :hellokaty:

Offline CiaraCandyCat

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • Belfast 7 May '14 <3
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 04:14:57 PM »
There's a big note in Lost that has always made me go "Woah!"  :pinkbow:

Nov 7th 2011 - #DublinDreams
Twitter: @lollipocalypse_ (I follow back all KatyCats!)
Tumblr: bogey-lowenstein.tumblr.com

Offline JustAKatyCat

• Falling From Cloud 9
  • .Katheryn.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »
Firework :firework: :firework: :firework:
I honestly don't care if you have been a KatyCat since I Kissed A Girl or since Roar. If you love and support her, that's enough for me.

Offline KPbaby

• U think you're a Genius!
  • IT'S ALL HAPPENING! PRISM <3
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »
I love when she does her songs acoustic, i think she always sounds her best when doing an acoustic set. But in general i'd probably have to say Thinking of You, The One That Got Away, Unconditionally and By the Grace of God  :dreamboat: :dreamboat: :dreamboat:
I went from zero to my own hero.
Love me some KP <3
Katy is my reason why, she's my everythaanggg.
Twitter: @jillygymnast96
CDT 2 dates
PWT 3 dates