Please login or register. April 16, 2014, 02:14:33 PM

Author Topic: Underrated Katy Perry songs  (Read 560 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
Underrated Katy Perry songs
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »
Obviously Katy has had a lot of major hits, but she also has many songs that I think are underrated.  The songs I think are underrated are:

Thinking of You: This is such a beautiful, emotional, powerful song.  Katy's voice is so emotional and so gorgeous in this song.  It was released as a single, but was not a hit.  Why was this song not a hit??  Would it have had a better chance if it had been on Prism or even Teenage Dream?

Pearl: Why was this never released as a single?  It's a beautiful, powerful song with a great message.  It really showcases the beauty of Katy's voice.

Not Like the Movies: This is another beautiful, emotional song that shows off the true beauty of Katy's voice, as well as an important message.  Its placement at the end of Teenage Dream seems to suggest it was a warning to anyone listenting to the album that relationships in real life are not as simple as in the movies.  But why was it never released as a single?

Who Am I Living For: Probably the most obscure song from Teenage Dream, and another very powerful song.  It shows another side of Katy that the rest of the album does not show, and it can be considered a Christian rock song.  Even if you have no religious background, it seems like something that anybody should be able to relate to.  The religious lyrics contrast well with the edgy arrangement.  It is also a song that really shows the listener who Katy really is, and how she struggles with the conflictedness between being a good girl vs a bad girl.  I even think of it as having an alternate, less deep interpretation, about what kind of music she'll ultimately be remembered for.  It also shows a different side of Katy vocally, by showing a more edgy, rock oriented style, rather than her soft, sweet style like the other songs I listed above, but while still showcasing the emotional quality of her voice.  I think this is her most underrated song of all.

What does everyone think of the songs I listed?  What other songs of hers do you think are underrated?  Why do you think Thinking of You was not a hit, and why the other 3 songs I listed were never promoted as singles?

I want Katy to be remembered for her deep, emotional, inspirational lyrics, as well as her gorgeous, almost angelic voice.  It somewhat frustrates me that these 4 songs (especially the last 3) are lost treasures that won't be remembered by the general public (who is not even aware of their existance).  I think her voice's biggest strength is its emotional quality, which not all of her hits showcase.  Even if Katy doesn't ever go back to Christian music full times, I do want her to be remembered for including Christian themes even in secular songs.  Many people think that all of her songs are about sex and partying and that she has a weak voice with limited range.  These people just have not heard the right songs of hers.

Offline Squeeniex27

• Dressed up like Elvis!
  • KatyCat
Re: Underrated Katy Perry songs
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
I think Pearl, I'm still Breathing, Fingerprints, Not Like the Movies, and Circle the Drain are underrated.
Kitty Purry, I salute you

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
I would say most of OOTB (especially Thinking of You, Lost, I'm Still Breathing, Self Inflicted and Fingerprints) and the last four songs on TD (Who Am I Living For, Pearl, Hummingbird Heartbeat and Not Like the Movies) are all underrated. Much of her unreleased songs are underrated as well.

EDIT: It's too early to tell but some songs on Prism (especially BTGOG) seem they will be underrated as well
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:41:42 PM by steviep24 »
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:03:23 AM »
I would say most of OOTB (especially Thinking of You, Lost, I'm Still Breathing, Self Inflicted and Fingerprints)

I'm not as farmiliar with OOTB as I am with her later albums.  As I said, I agree with Thinking of You.  Why was that song not a hit?  Do you think it would have fared better if it were on Prism or even Teenage Dream?  I'm not really familiar with the other sings that you mentioned, so I will have to check them out.

and the last four songs on TD (Who Am I Living For, Pearl, Hummingbird Heartbeat and Not Like the Movies) are all underrated.

Yeah, I mentioned 3 of them, and I gave a detailed analysis as to why I like them so much.  Do you think they would have been hits if they were promoted as singles?  I'm not as familir with Hummingbird Heartbeat.

Much of her unreleased songs are underrated as well.

I was thinking mostly of songs from OOTB and TD, since her unreleased songs and her Katy Hudson songs never really had a fair chance.

EDIT: It's too early to tell but some songs on Prism (especially BTGOG) seem they will be underrated as well

Again, it's too early to tell, and we don't even know which ones will be released as singles.  I love BTGOG, and hope it is released as a single (though it seems others here disagree with me, and I can't understand why).  BTGOG is exactly the type of song I want her to be remembered for.  It showcases the beauty of her voice, especially her voice's emotional quality, it is a very powerful song, and it incorporates her Christian faith.  Everything I want in a song from her.

Unconditionally is currently #15 on the Billboard Hot 100.  If it doesn't increase further on the charts, it will join the ranks of the underrated, perhaps due to the timing of its release.  That is an absolutely beautiful song with such a great message.  It is also a song perfectly designed for her voice, by showcasing both its softness and its power.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's underrated if it peaks at anything less than #1.  Again, this is the type of song I want Katy to be remembered for.

Offline DillNewt24

• Lost Control
  • Be Proud of Who You Are!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:06:08 AM »
"Circle the Drain" and "Who Am I Living For" in my opinion were very underrated songs off Teenage Dream

Twitter: @DillNewt

Offline SantaBarbaraKitty

• Makes U Spark A Firework
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:33:04 AM »
For me, definitely Fingerprints.  Was Thinking of You not a success?  To this day, it's one of my favorites.  I always used to see it on MTV, so I assumed everyone else knew and liked it as much as I did. 

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
This website ranks Katy's hits at the time (this was before Prism).  It seems to think Katy's voice sounded sub-par in Thinking of You.  Why did he think that?  This was written by someone who obviously otherwise likes Katy.
http://www.newnownext.com/katy-perrys-hit-songs-ranked-from-worst-to-best/05/2012/

I think that website also underrated Firework, since I love that song.

Offline TheOnlyWayIsPerry

• Cherry Chapstick
  • On the road less traveled
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 05:20:27 AM »
I can't even stress how underrated thinking of you is
Patiently waiting for 27/5/14

Offline JustWokeUpInVegas

• Lost Control
  • So, this is what I get?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 06:27:58 AM »
For me, definitely Fingerprints.  Was Thinking of You not a success?  To this day, it's one of my favorites.  I always used to see it on MTV, so I assumed everyone else knew and liked it as much as I did.
Pretty sure Thinking of You did not get #1 on almost all countries except Brazil.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
Why do you think Thinking of You was not a hit, and why did that review (who obviously otherwise likes Katy) think her vocals were subpar?  Do you think Thinking of You would have been a bigger hit if it were on Prism, or even Teenage Dream?

Do you agree that Pearl, Who Am I Living For, and Not Like the Movies should have been promoted as singles?

Does anyone besides me find it frustrating that Katy's soft songs that truly showcase the beauty of her voice are never promoted as singles, and they turn into lost treasures that the general public doesn't even know exist?  The general public does not realize how gorgeous Katy's voice is, and they dismiss her as just another bland pop tart with a weak voice.

Offline stripeykitten

• Falling From Cloud 9
  • ☼REFLECTION SECTION MAY 28th☼
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:05:39 AM »
fingerprints, i think im ready, not like the movies, humming bird heartbeat too!
just ma opinion :katycat1:

Offline SantaBarbaraKitty

• Makes U Spark A Firework
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »
Why do you think Thinking of You was not a hit, and why did that review (who obviously otherwise likes Katy) think her vocals were subpar?  Do you think Thinking of You would have been a bigger hit if it were on Prism, or even Teenage Dream?

Thinking of You was only the second mainstream KP single I had never heard.  Honestly, it probably would have been bigger if it were on her latter two albums, but that's just my opinion. But then again, you never know.  I love BTGOG but I don't know how well it has been received outside of the Katycat fandom.

Offline Katycat85

• Wants a Taste Test
  • Katycat
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »
Hummingbird heartbeat..I've always loved that track even if lyric could be considered trivial! Anyway, the most underrated Katy's song is Pearl. So absurd it wasn't been a single.  -_-
Plant this Prism - spread the light -

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »

Thinking of You was only the second mainstream KP single I had never heard.  Honestly, it probably would have been bigger if it were on her latter two albums, but that's just my opinion.

I agree, and I said that earlier in the thread.

But then again, you never know.  I love BTGOG but I don't know how well it has been received outside of the Katycat fandom.

I love that song too.  It's too early to tell if it's underrated, since it hasn't been released yet as a single, but still could.  I wonder what the contemporary Christian music community would think of it.  At this point, who is even aware of it, outside the Katycat fandom?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
Hummingbird heartbeat..I've always loved that track even if lyric could be considered trivial! Anyway, the most underrated Katy's song is Pearl. So absurd it wasn't been a single.  -_-

I agree about Pearl.  I guess Teenage Dream just had too many really good songs.  It had no real filler songs, but rather songs that would appeal to different audiences.