Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 06:10:44 AM

Author Topic: Concert scenes in Part of Me  (Read 1083 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
Concert scenes in Part of Me
« on: December 08, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
I'm sure we all remember the scene where Katy was crying backstage and nearly cancelled her concert (all I wanted to do during that scene was enter the screen and give Katy a big hug and tell her everything will be ok, and that I'm there for her if she needs a friend to talk to).  It was then followed by concert scenes where it showed her (understandably so) struggling to sing "Not like the Movies" (and I truly admire her for her bravery for even attempting that song, given how hard it must have been).  From what I read, it seems that the backstage scenes were in Brazil.  However, I found a review of her Brazil concert, and it said that she sang "Not Like the Movies" beautifully, and that it was the highlight of the concert.  It did mention her crying during "Thinking of You", but the person who wrote the review thought that was a positive, since it seemed that she was very emotionally into the song (he obviously did not know what was going on backstage).

Because of that review, I assume the concert scenes were not from Brazil.  From what I read, most of the concert scenes were shot in LA on 11/23/11.  However, I also found reviews of that concert, also saying she sang beautifully.

My question is, when and where was that scene where she struggled to sing "Not Like the Movies".  I assume it was not the same night as the backstage scenes.

Thanks.

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Know it all
  • don't be basic
Re: Concert scenes in Part of Me
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:16:35 PM »
Oooh ok, I guess I should tell you (SmackUTwice could probably explain this better + provide you with a lot of evidence for back up but I'll start)

Basically, those backstage crying scenes were not actually filmed in Brazil. They edited the film that way really to connect it with her crying onstage in São Paulo for dramatic effect (that's mainly why I don't like KP3D, they did quite a lot of editing to the film). The backstage crying actually happened in Birmingham, England on 26/10/11 (I guess that's another issue if you want to find out about it though) and they edited KP3D to make it seem like it happened in Brazil.

Um, in the film I don't see her struggling to sing NLTM, but yes, that was filmed in LA and they never tried to convince us otherwise. And I haven't watched the film in a good while but is the NLTM performance not shown before the backstage crying scene and not after? She did, however, cry in Brazil before performing Thinking of You and that was the only time she cried onstage during the tour, and that is what they showed in the film. And she did cry because of the love from the fans and not other issues (we've seen REAL backstage footage from that show and she was fine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2fgan5Yp3M)

BUT, let me tell you one thing, in the film when they show the performances of TOTGA and Thinking of You they try and make them look as if they were both filmed in São Paulo, but TOTGA is actually from the Birmingham show on 26/10/11.

Well done for spotting that there was something up with that scene though cause I didn't and I hope I at least somewhat answered your question. I wonder if Katy knows that we know this... if she did I'm sure it would freak her out.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:21:22 PM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »
Thanks.  That's interesting!  I wonder why she edited it to make it look like those scenes were in Brazil.  England on Oct. 26, 2011 makes perfect sense, since that was her first concert after her anniversary, and near where Russel Brand lives (she probably met him there for their anniversary, and it didn't go so well).

I'm pretty sure the scene of her struggling to sing "Not Like the Movies" was after the scene of her crying backstage, but I could be wrong.  Are you sure that was in LA on Nov. 23, 2011?  Every review of that concert seems positive.

Offline TheMouse

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »
Just not sure why Katy should be freaked out -? Films like those are always edited to death, and many impressions you seem to get from them you have to take with a pinch of salt. But I've seen a tweet in which somebody made an effort to even prove Katy was not telling the truth saying she was having a good time at the Brazil concert and said that in some confusion. Why should Katy have such false memories, her mind seems to work fantastically well to me.

What's the point of being on my worst behaviour when Katy isn't looking?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:06:02 AM »
Just not sure why Katy should be freaked out -? Films like those are always edited to death, and many impressions you seem to get from them you have to take with a pinch of salt. But I've seen a tweet in which somebody made an effort to even prove Katy was not telling the truth saying she was having a good time at the Brazil concert and said that in some confusion. Why should Katy have such false memories, her mind seems to work fantastically well to me.

I agree with you, it makes no sense.  It makes no sense even to change it for dramatic effect, since England and October both fit better, since Russell is from England, and they got married in October.

Did anyone attend that concert in Birmingham?  How did she sing?

Offline SmackUTwice

• 2nd Degree Stalker
  • You Did It BAYBEE!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:02:17 AM »
Hello!

Aight, so I'm perhaps not the one one of you care to hear from... but hey. You can stop reading here if you don't want things cleared up. :)

"Not Like The Movies" (NLTM) is, indeed, from the LA show. I don't recall her struggling to sing that...(but are you confusing "NLTM" with "The One That Got Away"?)

In the movie, crying onstage did happen in Brazil, but footage of "TOTGA" is from Birmingham.

All through Katy's movie promo and even up until this point, when she speaks of the Brazil show, she claims/agrees that's where the breakdown in the movie happened. But it's not. And she knows it... as for during one interview (Summer 2012 while pormoting the movie, but was a very rarely seen interview, view count affirms this, - I hunted those down HARD CORE and JUST saw this one the other day) when she was in the moment and remembering from HER memory (not trying to remember the movie and follow the storyline), she says "I was having a good day in Brazil" about the crying.... and the funny thing is, Katy tweeted the same day as the Brazil show... about crying onstage... longggg before the movie came about... that those were "tears of joy." Then the movie comes along and suddenly they are sad tears to go along with the breakdown she had before coming onstage. Well, no. The movie portrays it wrong...

This collection of info/research summarizes a bunch of things. Read at your own risk. :) http://katyhudson.ca/kp3d/index.html

How did she sing in Birmingham? Exactly the way in the movie, at least during "TOTGA"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnLA4RtXErw :)

What really hits the ball home starts at 1:29min in this video from Birmingham: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmH6ZYLosSQ

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:09:06 AM »
Thanks for posting that!  That was very interesting to read!  Though I find it interesting that you mentioned that they saw each other on Oct. 23, 2011, but didn't mention that was their first anniversary.  I remember that so well, since she got married in 2010 just 3 weeks before I got married (though my marriage has worked out better), and I've often felt that was why I feel such a strong connection to Katy.

As for the videos: that was so beautiful and with so much emotion!  It seemed that she then went into an unplanned Someone Like You, and she truly put her heart and soul into it!  She sang that far better than Adele!

Offline SmackUTwice

• 2nd Degree Stalker
  • You Did It BAYBEE!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:53:24 AM »
Haha, yeah, I re-read it and do a lot of  "well, I could've worded that better." hehehe. I'll get in there one of these days and edit... and yeah, good point about the anniversary, LOL!!

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 12:03:42 PM »
I wonder why she changed the location of so many of those scenes for the movie, when there was no reason to do so.

Offline SmackUTwice

• 2nd Degree Stalker
  • You Did It BAYBEE!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »
I wonder why she changed the location of so many of those scenes for the movie, when there was no reason to do so.

I want to know too, but I'd be so freaked to ask, haahaa.

At first I thought maybe she honestly didn't know cuz I'm sure that wasnt her ONLY rough time getting onstage (perhaps that was the worst, tho) and with all the footage they got and having been on tour which is a whirlwind times a million ALREADY... who knows what's what. But then... also her team... no one stood up to say "hey, wait, no it didn't happen like that"?

So, after time, research and especially with Katy remembering something that is complete opposite of the movie... I think it was done with purpose and simply to evoke emotion.. and to drive a story... it's dramatic... biggest show, with some of the most intense and wildest fans (I say that with love, so no one take offence, please, hehe)...

In the Concert Candy for south america, you can hear Katy sing TOTGA... and it's VERRRY different from what you hear in the movie.

It all just boggles my mind at the risk of the decision... but I guess not everyone is like me and picks up on certain things and looks deeper and harder than ever before.......... .....see what I did there! ;)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
Everything that you said makes sense.  Like you said, she most likely forgot.  Why would she switch Hartford with New York City?  Again, she may have forgotten.

I also have another theory (I am not looking for a flame war, just giving a theory): maybe in some of the cities that she wanted to show footage for, she was maybe smoking on camera, and since she didn't want to be shown smoking in her movie, she maybe substituted it for footage in cities where she was not smoking.

Offline CottonCandy

• 2nd Degree Stalker
  • Information overload, situation lost control.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 12:47:45 PM »
Also, her guitar magically disappears!

Offline beting12

• Purrrfection
  • The truth will set you free
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »
Throughout the movie, the dates don't seem to match up, but oh well it makes the movie come across with more meaning an suspense!

19/3/11 - HMV Hammersmith Apollo, London, 31/3/11 - Bournemouth BIC, 15/10/11 - O2 Arena, London, 9/6/12 - Summertime Ball, Wembley Stadium, London, 3/7/12 - Part Of Me Premiere, Empire Cinema, London, 17/10/13 - The Graham Norton Show, London, 7/12/13 - Jingle Bell Ball - O2 Arena, London, 15/12/13 - The X Factor Final - Wembley Arena, London

Music can be so powerful. It can transform you, inspire you and heal you.

Offline I CanAffordYou

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • Très chic !
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
Hollywood guys. It's a movie

HKT : LONDON (02/26/2009) * LYON (06/17/2009) 
LGJ : PARIS (06/11/2010)
You've Got A Friend : HOLLYWOOD (12/04/2012)
LGJ : PARIS (02/10/2013)

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Know it all
  • don't be basic
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »
The fact that they changed so many things in the film and just bent the truth a bit so many times is what makes me just not like the film. I didn't notice the Brazil/Birmingham thing but following the CDT from start to finish you notice so many other things, and the fact that I know that there are so many not-quite-true things in it makes me take everything else in the film with a pinch of salt and makes me feel like that's all quite possibly not the full truth, which just makes it unenjoyable for me tbh.

Also the fact that she made it so annoyingly 5-year-old friendly and they pitched up the sound and made her sound like she talks. But yeah, it is a Hollywood movie.

How did she sing in Birmingham? Exactly the way in the movie, at least during "TOTGA"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnLA4RtXErw :)
I think I saw some songs like Firework and thought she sounded a little rough if that has anything to do with it. But you know how she always sounds better when you're in the room with her.
I also have another theory (I am not looking for a flame war, just giving a theory): maybe in some of the cities that she wanted to show footage for, she was maybe smoking on camera, and since she didn't want to be shown smoking in her movie, she maybe substituted it for footage in cities where she was not smoking.
:eyes:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:50:26 PM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)