Please login or register. April 15, 2014, 11:32:02 PM

Author Topic: Voice type  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Westie

• Wannabe
  • NewbieCat
Re: Voice type
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2013, 07:30:37 AM »
Because journalists are trained general purposely, they are not supposed to know things in detail and every profession cringes on articles written.

I always thought it was because of churn - the amount of original journalism that goes on is tiny, most of it is re-hashes and re-quotes following a quick trawl through wikipedia.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
Since it seems that these voice types are meaningless when describing a pop singer, should somebody edit Wikipedia to remove all references to Katy's voice type?

For what it's worth, Katy's voice does span the soprano, mezzo, and contralto ranges.  Whether or not she could sing in all 3 ranges operatically, I have no way of knowing.

Offline TheOnlyWayIsPerry

• Cherry Chapstick
  • On the road less traveled
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 02:05:39 PM »
So basically we've come to the conclusion that its probably just easier if someone asked Katy herself  :lol:
Patiently waiting for 27/5/14

Online TheMouse

• Real Fan
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 03:38:56 AM »
Since it seems that these voice types are meaningless when describing a pop singer, should somebody edit Wikipedia to remove all references to Katy's voice type?

For what it's worth, Katy's voice does span the soprano, mezzo, and contralto ranges.  Whether or not she could sing in all 3 ranges operatically, I have no way of knowing.
First question, yes.
No, Katy's voice does not include soprano. She is a contralto.
No, no woman could sing in all 3 operatically, because she has to be ONE of those.
No, Katy can't sing in any of them operatically, because she can't sing operatically.
No offence to you, but I don't think you're understanding this. A woman needs to train her voice in ONE of the three to be become an operatic singer. Katy does not, and cannot sing operatically. But all this has been explained, you just want to read again what rapture wrote.

What's the point of being on my worst behaviour when Katy isn't looking?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »

First question, yes.

So then does someone want to go ahead and delete it on Wikipedia?  Or I can do it.

No, Katy's voice does not include soprano.

But she sings pop songs that include notes in the soprano range (as well as contralto and mezzo).

She is a contralto.

You just contradicted yourself.  You said that voice classification means nothing for pop singers, and then you assign a voice classification to Katy.

No, no woman could sing in all 3 operatically, because she has to be ONE of those.
No, Katy can't sing in any of them operatically, because she can't sing operatically.

It's not that she "can't" sing operatically, she just does not do so.  If she chose to sing operatically and had the proper training, she could do so.  No idea what her operatic vocal type would be.

No offence to you, but I don't think you're understanding this. A woman needs to train her voice in ONE of the three to be become an operatic singer. Katy does not, and cannot sing operatically. But all this has been explained, you just want to read again what rapture wrote.

First of all, Katy did have operatic training.  No idea which voice type she was training her voice for at the time.  I don't know why you say she cannot sing operatically.  She can, and just chooses not to.  Also, your post implies that men can sing in more than one range but women cannot, which I don't think is what you were trying to say.

I admit that I don't know that much about voice types, but you do not either.  You claim to be a baritone, but you can't hit Katy's low notes.  A baritone has a lower vocal range than a contralto.  If you are able to hit Katy's high notes, then you have a woman's vocal range (since Katy is obviously a woman).  I believe that a man with a woman's vocal range is called a countertenor.  From what I read, that is an extremely rare voice type, so I doubt it's really your voice type.  Then again, you're not an opera singer either (you keep saying you "sing for money"; you probably just sing seriously inferior Katy Perry covers for tip money at a subway station), so voice type would not be meaningful for you either.

Online OneOfKatysBoys

• Know it all
  • don't be basic
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »
lawd.

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
I move to have this thread closed. The argument here has gotten out of hand. I will PM a mod as soon as I'm done here.

First, the discussion should have ended with Rapture's post. Second, this thread derailed the moment The Mouse and mitsguy2001 decided to have their little argument about something which is really irrelevant. Much like that other thread which I recently had closed.

For what it's worth, Katy did have operatic voice training but it was more of a crash course to improve her vocal abilities for her then upcoming California Dreams Tour.

EDIT: A request has been sent to Lazy Blazy to end this insanity.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:44:00 PM by steviep24 »
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline Lazy Blazy

• 2nd Degree Stalker
  • You are the weapon I choose.
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
kitties put your claws back in. ;)

Only Lauren knows whom I've been in love with in my life :)
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTERZ