Please login or register. April 17, 2014, 04:26:53 PM

Author Topic: X Factor UK Finale @ Wembley Arena - ITV, UK - December 15th 2013  (Read 2480 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
Re: X Factor UK Finale @ Wembley Arena - ITV, UK - December 15th 2013
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
From what I read online, Katy had the flu when she performed at the UK X Factor finale.  What a shame.  These performances are, for many people, the only time they hear Katy, and this could have been the first time some people heard Unconditionally.

Yeah that's what I've been hearing to. What's making me angry is the comments on twitter saying she can't sing live. She has proven on many occasions that she can sing live and that she has a really beautiful voice. Katy could have easily canceled her performance because she was sick but that's not the type of person she is. She always wants to put on a good show and make people happy, which she always does, even if she's not feeling well. I loved her performance and the outfit she was wearing was very beautiful.

Honestly, if she's not feeling well, she'd probably be better off canceling rather than giving a subpar performance.  Fair or not, every little minor slip up in a live televised performance gives ammunition to the people who insist that she can't sing live.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »
I was there too and I'm not being biased but her vocals were incredible, if you're a KatyCat and believe what you heard on tv, seriously don't, itv managed to make her sound so bad but in the arena she didn't slip up once and it was amazing throughout, the sound quality of the speakers in the arena is pretty shocking so I think that had something to do with it

Maybe Katy needs to come forward about this.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
Another singer who I really like, who also used to sound bad in live televised performances is Kelly Clarkson.  But lately, her live televised performances have been great.  I remember around 2003 or so telling my parents how great Kelly is, and then they heard a live televised performance, and said "all she does is scream" and "she sounds like a cat getting its tail stepped on, except a cat would sound more melodic".  In more recent performances, they liked her, and I'm not sure if they even realize she's the same person.  It seems that is happening with Katy now.  Since Kelly and Katy are both the type who stand up for themselves and do not allow anyone (especially record company executives) to bully them around (perhaps why I like both of them so much), were the executives sabotaging their performances, since they refused to be doormats?  Or are these performances a skill that Kelly eventually learned, that Katy can still learn?

I still say that Katy should cancel if she's feeling sick and it affects her voice.  Any subpar performance, no matter how good her reason is, is just going to give more ammunition to the people who insist she "can't sing live".

Offline sunnystarzx

• Know it all
  • Still Breakin' in the New Shoes.
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »
Even when she spoke she sounded weird.. that displays it all
KatyCat-in' Since 09.

I will love you, Unconditionally

Offline Untitled No. 1

• Wannabe
  • Katycat
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »
The Compressor is either your best friend or your worst enemy. When she tries to sing LOUD, the Compressor kicks in to limit and normalize the volume for TV, which ends up making it sound weak.

Live ambience adds a natural reverb effect.

I really don't understand how this 'sounding good in the venue but bad on TV' thing seems to happen to Katy and not other artists?
Lana Del Rey
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:12:11 PM by Untitled No. 1 »

Offline katykicksass

• Know it all
  • ケイティー・ペリー
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »
I was there too and I'm not being biased but her vocals were incredible, if you're a KatyCat and believe what you heard on tv, seriously don't, itv managed to make her sound so bad but in the arena she didn't slip up once and it was amazing throughout, the sound quality of the speakers in the arena is pretty shocking so I think that had something to do with it

Katy doesn't need to say anything.
06/30/2011 - Toronto, Air Canada Centre
07/18/2014 - Toronto, Air Canada Centre
07/21/2014 - Toronto, Air Canada Centre

Offline gpprism

• Kissed a Girl - And Liked It!
  • Katycat
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »

Katy doesn't need to say anything.

Agreed nothing needs to be said. I was in the arena and she sounded absolutely amazing, no one in there understood why all the hate was on twitter, then we listened back on youtube and it sounded so different to the live version! Just proves it must have been the mics

Online TheMouse

• Real Fan
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »

Come forward to do what? Convince silly people who want to bash her that they shouldn't bash her? She's a global megastar.
The fault is with the TV channels, nor with her. Neither does she have to work on parts of her performance or parts of her voice in those ways people on twitter or forums like this would like to suggest. She's a super professional performer who lives and works extra hard in a world we don't even know. She knows what she's doing and doesn't need advice from anybody not even performing.

What's the point of being on my worst behaviour when Katy isn't looking?

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2013, 06:00:27 PM »

Come forward to do what? Convince silly people who want to bash her that they shouldn't bash her? She's a global megastar.
The fault is with the TV channels, nor with her. Neither does she have to work on parts of her performance or parts of her voice in those ways people on twitter or forums like this would like to suggest. She's a super professional performer who lives and works extra hard in a world we don't even know. She knows what she's doing and doesn't need advice from anybody not even performing.

dude, you really gotta chill out, it feels like we're in Law and Order and everything we say may and will be held against us...
We're merely suggesting things that will never be close to having any impact on anything of what Katy does. That's just called conversation. Of course she knows what she's doing, we all know that and are all here for the same reason. Calm. Down. If you don't like the way people "suggest" things on here, then please, don't read.
And for the record, as good as someone (anyone) is, there is ALWAYS room for improvement and some things to work on. In ANY field / specialty / profession.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:04:08 PM by Olivia »

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »

I'm just tired of hearing from everyone how Katy Perry is a risque poptart with a weak voice who can't sing live, who sings silly songs, and only made it in the industry because she is good looking.  If the reason that her televised performances sound bad on TV is because they are intentionally sabotoging the audio, then she needs to come forward and expose whoever is doing that, or at the very least, refuse to do such performances, and find other ways of reaching audiences that otherwise don't give her a chance.

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »

I'm just tired of hearing from everyone how Katy Perry is a risque poptart with a weak voice who can't sing live, who sings silly songs, and only made it in the industry because she is good looking.  If the reason that her televised performances sound bad on TV is because they are intentionally sabotoging the audio, then she needs to come forward and expose whoever is doing that, or at the very least, refuse to do such performances, and find other ways of reaching audiences that otherwise don't give her a chance.
Part of the problem is that backing tracks are meant to be lip synced to and Katy sings live. Because the vocals are not removed Katy's performance can sound like shit if she isn't perfectly syncronized. Also, she would need to sing louder or her mic turned up to overcome the track vocals.

DISCLAIMER: This is pretty much what I believe goes on with these television performances. Also, since I am not involved with the industry in any way my statement is by no means an expert opinion.

In other words, we would need a music/television industry professional to properly explain this phenomenon. Preferably a sound production engineer.
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Know it all
  • don't be basic
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
Coming forward would just be a bad idea because it would bring even more attention to a performance that she would probably rather didn't get any more attention than the (bad) attention it already has.
The Compressor is either your best friend or your worst enemy. When she tries to sing LOUD, the Compressor kicks in to limit and normalize the volume for TV, which ends up making it sound weak.

I really don't understand how this 'sounding good in the venue but bad on TV' thing seems to happen to Katy and not other artists?
Lana Del Rey
I guess I should rephrase and ask why it happens to some artists, including Katy and not others, though what you said actually gave me some understanding...

I know a guy that once said something like (and in this instance he was actually talking about Lana Del Rey) something about how the sound engineers that work for TV shows are not familiar with the artists's music so they often can't mix their sound to perfection (though when they're on tour the artist has their own sound engineer that knows the music, so they generally sound better) unless the music to the song is really simplistic, which is why people like Adele always sound good on TV (this was a while ago, so some of these details may be quite inaccurate)... but that wouldn't explain why people like Gaga or Beyoncé generally sound good when doing TV...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:51:18 PM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2013, 08:57:17 PM »
Coming forward would just be a bad idea because it would bring even more attention to a performance that she would probably rather didn't get any more attention than the (bad) attention it already has.

Lana Del Rey
I guess I should rephrase and ask why it happens to some artists, including Katy and not others, though what you said actually gave me some understanding...

I know a guy that once said something like (and in this instance he was actually talking about Lana Del Rey) something about how the sound engineers that work for TV shows are not familiar with the artists's music so they often can't mix their sound to perfection (though when they're on tour the artist has their own sound engineer that knows the music, so they generally sound better) unless the music to the song is really simplistic, which is why people like Adele always sound good on TV (this was a while ago, so some of these details may be quite inaccurate)... but that wouldn't explain why people like Gaga or Beyoncé generally sound good when doing TV...
This would explain why Katy's acoustic performances on TV usually sound really good.  :)
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »
Thanks for explaining.  That all makes sense.

I still say, if for whatever reason Katy's voice and/or style of songs do not work well for live TV performances, then she needs to either stop doing these performances, or stick to accoustic performances that are universally praised.  Or maybe have one of her sound engineers travel with her.

Offline sunnystarzx

• Know it all
  • Still Breakin' in the New Shoes.
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2013, 01:58:48 PM »

Part of the problem is that backing tracks are meant to be lip synced to and Katy sings live. Because the vocals are not removed Katy's performance can sound like shit if she isn't perfectly syncronized. Also, she would need to sing louder or her mic turned up to overcome the track vocals.

DISCLAIMER: This is pretty much what I believe goes on with these television performances. Also, since I am not involved with the industry in any way my statement is by no means an expert opinion.

In other words, we would need a music/television industry professional to properly explain this phenomenon. Preferably a sound production engineer.

Preach!
KatyCat-in' Since 09.

I will love you, Unconditionally