Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 07:21:02 PM

Author Topic: Media Say What!?!  (Read 3928 times)

Online OneOfKatysBoys

• Know it all
  • don't be basic
Re: Media Say What!?!
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
Presently, I'd be interested more in what people think about all the criticism of Katy's performance at the AMA. What is all the outrage about, and why is it such a big deal?
I've got the general impression that all the attacks come from people who basically know nothing about her.

You are exactly correct.  There was nothing offensive about Katy's performance.  No actual Japanese people were offended by it.  We know and her Japanese fans know how much she loves Japan and its culture, but the media doesn't know that, and always tries to find controversy when there is none.

My question is: from what I hear, to be eligible for the AMAs, your song or album has to be released between Dec. 1 and Sept. 30.  If that is the case, then that means anything released in September or October, including Unconditionally, and all of Prism, are never eligible.  If that is the case, then why does Katy release many of her best songs in October?  Or has she just given up on these awards?  These awards shows are so biased in favor of Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, and Adele (though Adele wasn't nominated for anything this year).
From what I gather about all this is that some people are saying that Katy sexualized the geisha which is a highly honored tradition in Japan. Geisha are highly skilled entertainers and provide pleasure for the opposite sex but not necessarily of the sexual kind.

How did Katy sexualize the geisha?  Her attire was not revealing, she did not do any provocative dance moves, and the song she sang was not sexual.

I'm sorry for saying this but, weren't Geishas prostitutes? So I don't see how Katy sexualized it
Apparently they weren't, I guess it's a common misconception.

But yeah the performance wasn't sexual at all.

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
Presently, I'd be interested more in what people think about all the criticism of Katy's performance at the AMA. What is all the outrage about, and why is it such a big deal?
I've got the general impression that all the attacks come from people who basically know nothing about her.

You are exactly correct.  There was nothing offensive about Katy's performance.  No actual Japanese people were offended by it.  We know and her Japanese fans know how much she loves Japan and its culture, but the media doesn't know that, and always tries to find controversy when there is none.

My question is: from what I hear, to be eligible for the AMAs, your song or album has to be released between Dec. 1 and Sept. 30.  If that is the case, then that means anything released in September or October, including Unconditionally, and all of Prism, are never eligible.  If that is the case, then why does Katy release many of her best songs in October?  Or has she just given up on these awards?  These awards shows are so biased in favor of Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, and Adele (though Adele wasn't nominated for anything this year).
From what I gather about all this is that some people are saying that Katy sexualized the geisha which is a highly honored tradition in Japan. Geisha are highly skilled entertainers and provide pleasure for the opposite sex but not necessarily of the sexual kind.

How did Katy sexualize the geisha?  Her attire was not revealing, she did not do any provocative dance moves, and the song she sang was not sexual.

I'm sorry for saying this but, weren't Geishas prostitutes? So I don't see how Katy sexualized it
I'm guessing that geishas are not supposed to fall in love with their clientele because of their professional status and Katy's geisha character does. But what do I know?

Maybe a Japanese Katycat could explain.
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline katycat4life1

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm CrayCray. Just thought I would let u know :P
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »

I'm guessing that geishas are not supposed to fall in love with their clientele because of their professional status and Katy's geisha character does. But what do I know?

That would probably help us out

Proud Katycat #52620

Offline JustWokeUpInVegas

• Lost Control
  • So, this is what I get?
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »

That would probably help us out
I'm not Japanese but I did a little research on geishas.

The term geisha is literally translated into "entertainer". Geishas are not prostitutes. They entertain through music and dance, not through sexual pleasure. They may flirt with their male guests, but don't go as far as prostitution. Geishas are forbidden to engage in the act of prostitution.

There is a ceremony called "Mizuage" which is done by the maiko(apprentice geisha) where in a man pays money to engage with sexual activity with the maiko. The maiko gets a lot of money, and it is not considered as an act of prostitution. Mizuage is a celebration of the passage a maiko to a geisha.

Offline TheMouse

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
I honestly don't think jt matters any more. It was one of those farts which come out of pseudo intellectuals' brains when they haven't anything real to worry about, and it's blown over anyway.

What's the point of being on my worst behaviour when Katy isn't looking?

Offline katycat4life1

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »
I honestly don't think jt matters any more. It was one of those farts which come out of pseudo intellectuals' brains when they haven't anything real to worry about, and it's blown over anyway.

AGREED

Proud Katycat #52620

Offline Iced Diamonds

• Wannabe Stalker
  • I love angel eggs
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 04:40:38 AM »
I saw this and thought it was uh interesting? It's on the front cover of a magazine here in NZ. Mmm, I did think that secrets were usually things that people like the media didn't know but yeah..  :lol: They have all about her diet for her um 'wedding??' in it also ..  :hehe:
♥ 7th May, Auckland, NZ - The most magical night ever - I MET KATY ♥♥♥!! I ♥ you KPF!
Katycat #2407

Offline TheMouse

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »
I saw this and thought it was uh interesting? It's on the front cover of a magazine here in NZ. Mmm, I did think that secrets were usually things that people like the media didn't know but yeah..  :lol: They have all about her diet for her um 'wedding??' in it also ..  :hehe:

:rofl: OK...Congrats, John!  :lol:

Offline katycat4life1

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2014, 06:26:52 AM »

:rofl: OK...Congrats, John!  :lol:

OMG!!!! That is amazing, Katy managed to keep something private - no pics? lol

Proud Katycat #52620

Offline matthewkilty

• U think you're a Genius!
  • Let the light in.
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2014, 08:55:29 PM »
I don't know if this has been put anywhere else on the forum because it's 3 months old but scanning through the thread I don't see it mentioned here. I literally laughed so hard at this video... "MYSTERY MAN" "IS SHE CHEATING"  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought some things about her in the press were silly but this is ABOVE AND BEYOND that, I literally don't know what to say to it, what's worse is that the "mystery man" only appears in the video for a fraction of a second, oh and...IT'S JOHNNY?!?!

Absolutely gobsmacked at this video and it's title, the small-scale amateurs reporting on this are like new born kittens pulling at strings, so silly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHsXK3okIbM
Let the light in.

27/03/11 - #LiverpoolDreams
18/10/11 - #LiverpoolDreams
20/05/14 - Prismatic World Tour Manchester
21/05/14 - Prismatic World Tour Liverpool RS

Offline ikatycat_

• Dressed up like Elvis!
  • Be yourself and you can be anything ♥
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
the media makes me laugh the stuff they do for money omg

Offline TheMouse

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2014, 03:16:09 PM »
I don't know if this has been put anywhere else on the forum because it's 3 months old but scanning through the thread I don't see it mentioned here. I literally laughed so hard at this video... "MYSTERY MAN" "IS SHE CHEATING"  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought some things about her in the press were silly but this is ABOVE AND BEYOND that, I literally don't know what to say to it, what's worse is that the "mystery man" only appears in the video for a fraction of a second, oh and...IT'S JOHNNY?!?!

Absolutely gobsmacked at this video and it's title, the small-scale amateurs reporting on this are like new born kittens pulling at strings, so silly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHsXK3okIbM
I'm disappointed in Katy and can never forgive her for being such an immoral person  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:41:58 AM by TheMouse »

Offline Iced Diamonds

• Wannabe Stalker
  • I love angel eggs
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2014, 01:58:52 AM »
Apparently after her performance of Dark Horse at the Grammys she's a big worshiper of Satan..? Um.. lol?  :hehe: not like she has a tattoo on her wrist saying jesus or anything… apparently that is irrelevant ?

Here's a website:
http://www.zimbio.com/Awards+Season+2014/articles/5LxsAnVlSf-/Katy+Perry+Causes+Satanic+Panic+Dark+Horse

And the youtube performance has heaps of comments about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpJ1npMCyqE
♥ 7th May, Auckland, NZ - The most magical night ever - I MET KATY ♥♥♥!! I ♥ you KPF!
Katycat #2407

Offline JustWokeUpInVegas

• Lost Control
  • So, this is what I get?
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2014, 07:29:17 AM »
Apparently after her performance of Dark Horse at the Grammys she's a big worshiper of Satan..? Um.. lol?  :hehe: not like she has a tattoo on her wrist saying jesus or anything… apparently that is irrelevant ?

Here's a website:
http://www.zimbio.com/Awards+Season+2014/articles/5LxsAnVlSf-/Katy+Perry+Causes+Satanic+Panic+Dark+Horse

Perhaps they were expecting flowers, unicorns, rainbows and angels.  :hehe:

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2014, 08:31:47 PM »

Here's a website:

Perhaps they were expecting flowers, unicorns, rainbows and angels.  :hehe:
Well, Ozzy Osbourne was in the house.  :lol: Katy needs to show her dark side once in a while. I love it when she goes full goth like that. :) But definitely not Satanic. I think people misunderstand Dark Horse to tell you the truth. It's not just some song with a rap and a bass drop everyone loves. It's a song with real meaning and has a dark side to it.
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)