Please login or register. April 20, 2014, 05:59:30 AM

Author Topic: Media Say What!?!  (Read 3845 times)

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
Re: Media Say What!?!
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
I just happened to be running around Google News...pulled up my Katy Perry feed...seems like the media is throwing her name around with the words "pregnant" and "children" again...earth to media: stop this madness! She's got a tour in 6 months!!!
Now they're saying the pregnancy rumors are false.
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline katykicksass

• Know it all
  • ケイティー・ペリー
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »
I just happened to be running around Google News...pulled up my Katy Perry feed...seems like the media is throwing her name around with the words "pregnant" and "children" again...earth to media: stop this madness! She's got a tour in 6 months!!!
Now they're saying the pregnancy rumors are false.

All these rumors are just crazy! The media needs a good swift kick in the butt and knock some sense into their heads.
06/30/2011 - Toronto, Air Canada Centre
07/18/2014 - Toronto, Air Canada Centre
07/21/2014 - Toronto, Air Canada Centre

Offline TheMouse

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
Presently, I'd be interested more in what people think about all the criticism of Katy's performance at the AMA. What is all the outrage about, and why is it such a big deal?
I've got the general impression that all the attacks come from people who basically know nothing about her.

What's the point of being on my worst behaviour when Katy isn't looking?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
Presently, I'd be interested more in what people think about all the criticism of Katy's performance at the AMA. What is all the outrage about, and why is it such a big deal?
I've got the general impression that all the attacks come from people who basically know nothing about her.

You are exactly correct.  There was nothing offensive about Katy's performance.  No actual Japanese people were offended by it.  We know and her Japanese fans know how much she loves Japan and its culture, but the media doesn't know that, and always tries to find controversy when there is none.

My question is: from what I hear, to be eligible for the AMAs, your song or album has to be released between Dec. 1 and Sept. 30.  If that is the case, then that means anything released in September or October, including Unconditionally, and all of Prism, are never eligible.  If that is the case, then why does Katy release many of her best songs in October?  Or has she just given up on these awards?  These awards shows are so biased in favor of Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, and Adele (though Adele wasn't nominated for anything this year).

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »

You are exactly correct.  There was nothing offensive about Katy's performance.  No actual Japanese people were offended by it.  We know and her Japanese fans know how much she loves Japan and its culture, but the media doesn't know that, and always tries to find controversy when there is none.

My question is: from what I hear, to be eligible for the AMAs, your song or album has to be released between Dec. 1 and Sept. 30.  If that is the case, then that means anything released in September or October, including Unconditionally, and all of Prism, are never eligible.  If that is the case, then why does Katy release many of her best songs in October?  Or has she just given up on these awards?  These awards shows are so biased in favor of Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, and Adele (though Adele wasn't nominated for anything this year).
From what I gather about all this is that some people are saying that Katy sexualized the geisha which is a highly honored tradition in Japan. Geisha are highly skilled entertainers and provide pleasure for the opposite sex but not necessarily of the sexual kind. Also, some ignorants who don't understand Japanese culture think of them as prostitutes of which they are definitely not. In addition some people are having problems with cultural appropriation as being offensive. Way too much political correctness and sensitivity these days. There's nothing wrong with being appreciative and paying homage to other cultures but I guess we can't have that anymore can we. It's too easy to offend someone these days.

The entertainment industry and performing arts in general are going to have a big problem if this continues. I guess Disney may soon be taking a lot of flack as many of their films have a lot of cultural appropriation in them. Actually I believe they may already have. A lot of freedoms are being taken away and I guess if this keeps up our freedom of expression, our freedom to be creative, one of the fundamental parts of the first amendment to the US Constitution is going out the window.

Interestingly I have not heard about any Japanese/Asian Americans or those in Japan complaining about this.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:55:36 PM by steviep24 »
Never grow up!

6/30/2011 Toronto ACC

Offline TheMouse

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »
I find that very insightful, I suppose it is stupidity disguised as intellectual ability, as a matter of fact I believe for an unknown reason mankind is moving towards a form of imbecility in some aspects, haha.
About those award shows though, I don't think that a whole award show can be biased towards one artist, and I don't think it had anything g do with giving up on awards. There are reasons why things have their release dates which are only technical. Katy is preparing fir the biggest one year marathon she's ever done, I simply don't think her mind is occupied with much else now.

Offline Icypole

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »

From what I gather about all this is that some people are saying that Katy sexualized the geisha which is a highly honored tradition in Japan. Geisha are highly skilled entertainers and provide pleasure for the opposite sex but not necessarily of the sexual kind. Also, some ignorants who don't understand Japanese culture think of them as prostitutes of which they are definitely not. In addition some people are having problems with cultural appropriation as being offensive. Way too much political correctness and sensitivity these days. There's nothing wrong with being appreciative and paying homage to other cultures but I guess we can't have that anymore can we. It's too easy to offend someone these days.

The entertainment industry and performing arts in general are going to have a big problem if this continues. I guess Disney may soon be taking a lot of flack as many of their films have a lot of cultural appropriation in them. Actually I believe they may already have. A lot of freedoms are being taken away and I guess if this keeps up our freedom of expression, our freedom to be creative, one of the fundamental parts of the first amendment to the US Constitution is going out the window.

Interestingly I have not heard about any Japanese/Asian Americans or those in Japan complaining about this.

I agree, she didn't portray the culture negatively she was trying to be appreciative. There are bigger issues out there to be offended about.

Offline TheMouse

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 08:48:18 AM »
Maybe it seems blown up if I read two articles and then what 150 people commented on it, Katy meanwhile tweets about Instagram and added concerts, the things really important to her. Of course she watches all aspects of the so called public opinion, but as a whole they're a few pseudo sociologists who are rather clueless from an objective point, and they don't really deserve the platform they even get. I'm going to eat pizza in an Italian restaurant today and I usually say Ciao to the owner, I suppose both those make me a racist, too.

Offline katycat4life1

• I'm CrayCray. Just thought I would let u know :P
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »
Maybe it seems blown up if I read two articles and then what 150 people commented on it, Katy meanwhile tweets about Instagram and added concerts, the things really important to her. Of course she watches all aspects of the so called public opinion, but as a whole they're a few pseudo sociologists who are rather clueless from an objective point, and they don't really deserve the platform they even get. I'm going to eat pizza in an Italian restaurant today and I usually say Ciao to the owner, I suppose both those make me a racist, too.

Well I wore a sombrero today does that make me racist?

Proud Katycat #52620

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »

I drive a Honda Civic. Does that make me racist? Are girls who like Hello Kitty racist?
Never grow up!

6/30/2011 Toronto ACC

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »

From what I gather about all this is that some people are saying that Katy sexualized the geisha which is a highly honored tradition in Japan. Geisha are highly skilled entertainers and provide pleasure for the opposite sex but not necessarily of the sexual kind.

How did Katy sexualize the geisha?  Her attire was not revealing, she did not do any provocative dance moves, and the song she sang was not sexual.

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »
^ At least Lady Gaga is on Katy's side.  :)
http://huff.to/1eA3a42

EDIT: Full interview. http://bit.ly/193cU2e
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:23:09 PM by steviep24 »
Never grow up!

6/30/2011 Toronto ACC

Offline TheMouse

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »

I think that's outrageously tasteless behaviour, you've been making fun of the entire Mexican population, don't be surprised if you won't be allowed into their country again just in case...hahahaha

Offline katycat4life1

• I'm CrayCray. Just thought I would let u know :P
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »

From what I gather about all this is that some people are saying that Katy sexualized the geisha which is a highly honored tradition in Japan. Geisha are highly skilled entertainers and provide pleasure for the opposite sex but not necessarily of the sexual kind.

How did Katy sexualize the geisha?  Her attire was not revealing, she did not do any provocative dance moves, and the song she sang was not sexual.

I'm sorry for saying this but, weren't Geishas prostitutes? So I don't see how Katy sexualized it

Proud Katycat #52620

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Know it all
  • don't be basic
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

I'm sorry for saying this but, weren't Geishas prostitutes? So I don't see how Katy sexualized it
Apparently they weren't, I guess it's a common misconception.

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)