Please login or register. April 25, 2014, 01:23:42 AM

Author Topic: Other singers with voices similar to Katy  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Squeeniex27

• Lost Control
  • KatyCat
Re: Other singers with voices similar to Katy
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
Jessie J.  :) Just listen to Domino, you could almost swear Katy was singing it.

I agree!
Kitty Purry, I salute you

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »
I think Marina Diamandis and Kimbra have similar qualities to their voice as Katy.

I am not familiar with Marina Diamandis.  What does she sing?  Is Kimbra the woman in Someone That I Used to Know?  I think her voice is higher pitched than Katy's, at least in that song.  I think her voice sounds very pretty in small doses, such as that song, but I'm not sure I'd like a whole song by her (does she sing any whole songs?), since I could imagine her voice having a grating quality to it, while Katy's voice is more soft and pleasant.

Interestingly, in Lady Gaga's new song Applause, I think her voice sounds somewhat like Katy Perry.  What do you think?  In fact the first time I heard it, I was thinking it was a new Katy Perry song, until I realized what song it was.  I don't think Lady Gaga's voice sounds as much like Katy's in her past songs.
Marina and the Diamonds (her stage name, not a band name) has 2 albums, Electra Heart and Family Jewels, both which I absolutely love, and she uses her voice in a way similar to how Katy does - only that I don't think they sound one but similar to each other.

How exactly does she "use her voice in a way similar to how Katy does"?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »
In some of Katy's older stuff and sometimes in OOTB, you can hear in her voice how she's been influenced by Alanis Morissette. So if you're a fan of that sound, definitely check out some of Alanis' stuff.  :)

Actually, you are right that Katy sounds more like Alanis in some of the songs from OOTB.  She doesn't sound like her at all on her other albums.  Was she intentionally trying to sound more like her on OOTB, or has her voice changed since then?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
i don't know  :lol: maybe kesha sometimes? I dont really notice :flowerpower:

Ke$ha has to be autotuned to sound like Katy, so that doesn't count.

Offline Katycat85

• Wants a Taste Test
  • Katycat
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
Jessie J! International smile it's the song where I found the greatest resemblance :D
Plant this Prism - spread the light -

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 02:32:42 PM »
It seems everyone answered very recent singers.  What past singers do you think have voices similar to Katy?

Offline kiwikittenkatycat

• Got a Bloody Knee
  • she'll be coming at you like a dark horse
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »
Jessie J.  :) Just listen to Domino, you could almost swear Katy was singing it.

OMG when i first heard that i thought it was katy <3

meow

Offline TheOnlyWayIsPerry

• Cherry Chapstick
  • On the road less traveled
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 04:20:55 AM »
Do agree about jessie j, it's quite rare to find someone who sounds like Katy, she's got quite a unique voice like how Gaga and xtina have unique voices too
Patiently waiting for 27/5/14

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 08:39:15 AM »
Do agree about jessie j, it's quite rare to find someone who sounds like Katy, she's got quite a unique voice like how Gaga and xtina have unique voices too

Honestly, I never really thought Jessie J sounded like Katy.  I might have to listen to Domino again.

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »

Honestly, I never really thought Jessie J sounded like Katy.  I might have to listen to Domino again.
As I said Jessie J. does sound similar to Katy in Domino but then again it is a Dr. Luke song.  :-\
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »

As I said Jessie J. does sound similar to Katy in Domino but then again it is a Dr. Luke song.  :-\

Is she autotuned to sound like Katy?

At least one website (Common Sense Media) claims Domino was written by Katy Perry, but I don't believe that is correct.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
When I saw Katy singing "Hook Up" on YouTube, her version sounded very much like Kelly Clarkson's version.  But I otherwise don't think Katy and Kelly sound that similar.  Although, as I mentioned in another thread, one of my colleagues (who is famous for his lack of music knowledge) thought "Moment Like This" was a Katy Perry song.  So maybe they are more similar than I thought.

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 06:55:33 PM »

Is she autotuned to sound like Katy?

At least one website (Common Sense Media) claims Domino was written by Katy Perry, but I don't believe that is correct.
Domino doesn't show up in Katy's ASCAP records so Katy did not write that.
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline TheMouse

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »
I think that Kathryn Hudson sounds just like Katy Perry; the two are so similar, I could just mistake the one for the other.
Apart from that, with all the suggestions I'd have to listen really hard and start drinking again simultaneously to find all those definite similarities.

What's the point of being on my worst behaviour when Katy isn't looking?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
I think that Kathryn Hudson sounds just like Katy Perry; the two are so similar, I could just mistake the one for the other.
Apart from that, with all the suggestions I'd have to listen really hard and start drinking again simultaneously to find all those definite similarities.

I assume that is a joke, since Kathryn [sic] Hudson is the same person as Katy Perry.  I assume you are not talking about the actress Kate Hudson.

Again, I'm more interested in past singers (pre-2008) that are similar to Katy.