Author Topic: "I stole the files" ...  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Goldie

• Left The Gas On
"I stole the files" ...
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:34:36 AM »
Ok, so I'm sure we're all fans of Angelica Cobb-Baer, who, according to KP3D, "stole Katy's files" and brought them to Capitol which ultimately resulted in getting her signed there.  Not to be a buzz kill but this part of the movie really bummed me out because I knew it wasn't legit.  The movie had blown me away up to that point and when that part came up, I knew they were just trying to overdramatize Katy's shuffling between record labels and try to show her as being "trapped" at Columbia, so it was up to Angelica to "steal" Katy's "files" to bring to Capitol in order to "free" her.

The reason it bummed me out was because it made me second-guess the coolest parts of the rest of the movie - this one was too obvious. This page provides some good insight on what probably actually happened: http://www.hitquarters.com/index.php3?page=intrview/opar/intrview_AnokuteCorrection.html

I know this doesn't make a difference now, I still love KP3D, still love Katy, still love Angelica Cobb-Baer, but I saw this one for what it was. Did anyone else speculate that this wasn't entirely true? And of course, I'm not expecting everything to be 100% true in the movie (it would be so much less interesting) but this... eh.

Offline Conalae

• 1st Degree Stalker
  • #FireworkBoobs
Re: "I stole the files" ...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:36:27 AM »
That source says Angelica helped discover her?

Since publication we have received further input from several sources on the subject, and have concluded that it is appropriate to correct misimpressions that may have resulted from our October 18 story. Among the sources was Jeff Kempler – the executive vice president of Virgin Records at the time of Perry’s signing - who corroborated other sources in recalling that the chief participants in Perry’s discovery and breakthrough were in fact then Virgin chairman and CEO Jason Flom and head of publicity Angelica Cob-Baehler.

That Chris Anokute interview is pretty dodgy since it had to be corrected later. there's no reason the version in POM3D and his interview can't be interlinked. Maybe her smuggling the files resulted in Jason + co cheerleading for Katy being signed?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:38:44 AM by Conalae »
'The Moral of the story is that if you're gonna party hard in Vegas, don't be a pussy.'

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
  • http://yoppappop.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 04:41:48 AM »
i don't really understand your point... Angelica was at the company that dropped Katy (Columbia) and when she left, she took Katy's file with her and joined Virgin/Capitol, and then "harrassed" them to sign her... What did you want to say ?

Offline Goldie

• Left The Gas On
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
What I'm trying to say was the way the film portrayed this event was more dramatic than what probably actually happened. Olivia, you pretty much summed up what happened, while the movie implied that Angelica stole (as in taking without Columbia's knowledge) Katy's "file" (whatever that is) and brought it to Capitol. I'm not denying at all that it was Angelica (and Jason Flom) who were the most responsible for Katy's breakthrough - but if it were true that Angelica stole this information about Katy to present to Capitol, wouldn't you think there would be some legal implications for her actions?

Offline ravenkatycat

• Purry-licious!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »
I think you're taking it too literal. That is really what happened, perhaps dramatized a tad, but movies are meant to be dramatized. Nothing to get "bummed" about. Everything in KP3D about her rise to fame is completely true.  :)

Offline SmackUTwice

• 2nd Degree Stalker
  • You Did It BAYBEE!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »
wouldn't you think there would be some legal implications for her actions?

no.

it's 100% legit. unfortunate you want to see otherwise.

they focused on what role Angelica played in Katy's label change. could you imagine the drama that could play out had that Lauren Christy chick agreed to be interviewed/put in the movie? or other label execs that wanted Katy to be the next Avril? Ooooooooooo, but that wouldn't be legit.. overdramatize..... see where I'm going with this?! :)

Truly. I guarantee it happened the way it's said in the movie. :)

Offline OfficiallyAKatyKat4Life

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • "who's dropping farts in Candyfornia?"
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »
i read the article..it doesnt really go into great detail with her transition from Colombia to Capitol.and it does say Angelica played quite a key role in bringing her to Capitol,which im going to assume has to do with her "stealing" katy's files.in Angelica's interview in POM3D,they also dont go into great detail with her transition,the most detail was her saying "i stole the files" that can mean MANY things,it couldve went smoothly or it might have been a huge lawsuit.none of us may ever know…I dont see why she would lie in the movie tho so im going to believe thats basically what happened,she stole the files,lost her job at capitol(probably had some sort of lawsuit against her) and colombia hired her,maybe for other reasons too but probably so she could continue to work with katy

thats just my opinion.but it doesnt matter now,katy's on top of the world at the moment and thats all that really matters.

Still waiting to meet her...one day :bambi:
Katy Cat #23892
Twitter @KatysSoyQuiche
PWT 9-17-14 & 9-22-14
ps..forgive me for misspelling my username :-[

Offline SmackUTwice

• 2nd Degree Stalker
  • You Did It BAYBEE!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 11:38:54 PM »
other way around. Angelica was with Columbia... she took the files, quit Columbia and started working for Capitol. :)

Offline katycat4life1

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm CrayCray. Just thought I would let u know :P
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 05:17:59 AM »
other way around. Angelica was with Columbia... she took the files, quit Columbia and started working for Capitol. :)

Yes that is what happened :) and thank God she did

Proud Katycat #52620

Offline ikatycat_

• Lost Control
  • Be yourself and you can be anything ♥
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »
I LOVE THAT. When she said that in the movie I was laughing so hard. I bet she's proud of herself now! lol

Offline hellokatyperry

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • ❆ World Of Dreams ❆
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »
This is the part of me that you're never gonna ever take away from me, NO!  :xx:

7.16.14 || My first 1000 posts on KPF, I'm so happy for that, go for more!  ♥

Offline TheMouse

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 02:17:36 AM »
The film was made for entertainment purpose. That's the way I watched it. But if I just want to get 'facts' I rather stick to interviews through radio on specific occasions and many other simple recordings of what Katy said when asked directly.

:) She gave me my guitar back...
She gave me my voice back...

...and I have opened one that leads me to the perfect road :firework:

...what more could I want? :frolickingghost: :frolickingghost: :frolickingghost: