Please login or register. April 21, 2014, 05:25:31 AM

Author Topic: Group Katy's Music  (Read 605 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
Re: Group Katy's Music
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »
It's more a "love story set to music" than just any story - so TGIF wouldn't be a ballad but you could consider 'Teenage Dream' one.

The term does seem to have come to mean "slow song" though..

That is a good point; many words have connotations that change over time.
I checked Wikipedia. In pop and rock usage it pretty much means "emotional love song". And then there are also power ballads.

Would "Unconditionally" qualify as a power ballad?  I love that song; it is quite possibly the best song I've heard in a very long time (I posted about it on the Prism board; check out my post there).

I agree that Katy should do more ballads.  Her voice is so beautiful and sweet, and has almost an angelic quality, as others have said.

Yes, I agree - unconditionally could be regarded as a power ballad. Katy should do more ballads

I'd say it was, it seems to fit the description, "a slow tempo song building to an emotive chorus."

Based on that definition of power ballad, I would say that Katy's voice is perfect for power ballads, such as Unconditionally.  Katy's voice is very soft and sweet while also capable of power belts, which seems to be what power ballads need.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »
I guess the reason why I classified it as a ballad too is because the acoustic version is a ballad. In reality I realized that you could put all of the songs into three categories: Break ups, In love, and Finding yourself. You could take it a step farther and combine break ups and being in love into a relationships category.

But the "Party songs" and the "Innuendos" would still be in their own categories.

In any case, any ballad would also have to fit into another category too.  The categories are not mutually exclusive.

Do you agree that Katy has the perfect voice for power ballads?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 02:42:05 PM »
Another fun game would be to group songs by genre.  Wikipedia lists as genres for Katy, in alphabetical order, Christian, dance, electronic, pop, and rock.  Obviously those genres overlap a lot, so you can list more than one genre for a song.  Interestingly, some Prism songs might possibly be stealth Christian songs.

Offline kiwikittenkatycat

• Got a Bloody Knee
  • she'll be coming at you like a dark horse
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 05:05:59 PM »
hope she does more ballads it really shows her full power of her voice.

meow

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »
hope she does more ballads it really shows her full power of her voice.

I agree.  I feel that if you are only familiar with the songs that she released as singles, you don't realize the true beauty of her voice, which is a shame.  Most people are not even aware that some of those songs exist.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
Another fun game would be to group songs by genre.  Wikipedia lists as genres for Katy, in alphabetical order, Christian, dance, electronic, pop, and rock.  Obviously those genres overlap a lot, so you can list more than one genre for a song.  Interestingly, some Prism songs might possibly be stealth Christian songs.

Anyone want to try?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »
Another category could be religious songs.  From her last 2 albums, definitely "Who Am I Living For" and "By the Grace of God".  "Uncondtionally" is sometimes interpreted as a religious song.  I've even seen some people interpret "Spiritual" and "Legendary Lovers" as being religious.  What do you think?  Does "One of the Boys" have any religious songs?