Author Topic: 2014 Grammy Awards @ Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - January 26th 2014  (Read 9548 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
Re: 2014 Grammy Awards @ Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - January 26th 2014
« Reply #300 on: January 27, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
Mitsguy2001, again, it's *Musgraves. It really doesn't look great on you when you presume to know so much about these artists and how bad they are, yet you can't even spell their names.

My point is that she is so obscure and I had no idea who she was until a few days ago when I heard she was opening for a few of Katy's concerts.  I didn't care how to spell her name, since she's someone who would be booed and have eggs thrown at her, not someone who would win a Grammy when the main act still doesn't.  If it weren't for Katy, Kacey Musgraves would probably be serving drinks in a bar.

Many people like both Kacey Musgraves and Lorde (I can't think of any reason to think why either of them aren't talented and shouldn't have won awards),

First of all, I said that I have nothing against Lorde, and I do like her song Royals.

Secondly, if you say that they both deserved 2 Grammys, then explain to me why you feel that Katy deserves 0 Grammys.

just because you don't see why they're good, it doesn't mean they aren't, your opinion is not the be all and end all of everything (and neither are the Grammys, so I don't see why you're so worked up over this). And the reason why contemporaries of Katy's like Beyoncé, Rihanna, Taylor Swift and others win Grammys more easily is because their music can often be put into more categories than just pop (in these instances, R&B, sometimes Hip-Hop, and country), whereas the only categories Katy can fit into are the pop ones, where the competition is the most fierce because 'pop music' means something far less specific, there are many different sub-genres of pop, so such a vast range of songs can be nominated for those awards.

Then maybe Katy needs to start writing music that can double dip into multiple categories.

No, because Pop Vocal and Song of the Year are two very different categories and they're probably not voted on by the same panel of people and they can't just say 'oh, Royals has enough now, let's just give one to Katy cause she doesn't have any yet', if Lorde is seen as the person who deserves to win in that category, she'll get the award. And she was deserving of both of those awards, she did some very nice, creative things with the vocals in Royals and whilst Roar was huge, Royals and Same Love were too and those songs really got people talking about the issues addressed in them (whereas people more just thought Roar was a good song), and that's why they were bigger contenders for SOTY.

Then explain to my why Rolling in the Deep deserved 7 Grammys split between 2 years, when neither Firework nor Wide Awake deserved any?

You can believe that about Adele all you want, but there are other people who believe the opposite. I'm not justifying it at all, I didn't say it was the right decision, everyone has their own opinion and I agree, the academy seems to move a lot towards anything Adele puts out but that's just the way it is. It's not the end of the world, no one is dying, it's not a huge deal. In my opinion, if people really believed in Katy's talent, they wouldn't feel the need to have validation from the Grammy academy in order to feel good about her.

But it's frustrating how everybody I know hates Katy, and they think she sucks because she hasn't won a Grammy.

Whatever.

Enjoy your Adele concert.
Being rude to people when they're only trying to answer your questions for you. Nice.

Since you seem to love Adele so much, and you seem to think she is objectively the best female singer in history, why don't you go to her concerts?  If you do go, I hope you enjoy it.
  I've known about Kacey Musgraves a long time ago because she's on Katy's iTunes playlist which I worked my way through and from which I often bought not only the one track mentioned by Katy but the whole album, so I bought that one, too.

In my opinion, Katy's iTunes playlist is bull.  It was just a bunch of no-talent teenage girl-oriented artists that work with Dr. Luke.  She was just trying to promote them.  I do not seriously beleive that is what Katy listens to.  After Ke$ha and Miley Cyrus, I gave up.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #301 on: January 27, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
Do you mind editing your previous post, so it doesn't look like I'm speaking badly about Prism, when I've said nothing but positive things about that album the entire time I've been on this board?  Thank you.
Done!

Thank you.  :)

Offline cathou02

• Melting Popsicle
  • One man's trash is another girl's treasure
« Reply #302 on: January 27, 2014, 07:23:27 PM »
Do you realise how much you disparage Katy? And after you claim that you are the only one who likes her and her music...

7/2/11, Montreal, Best day of my life <3
Proud KatyCat #585

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
  • http://yoppappop.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
Do you realise how much you disparage Katy? And after you claim that you are the only one who likes her and her music...

shhhhhh... He seems to be having fun talking to himself... He won't have to try to convince too hard :eyes: :pinkbow:

Offline Squeeniex27

• Makes Cupcakes Cry
  • The light has come
« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »
For those who seem to think Katy will win a Grammy in 2015: honestly, what do you think she will win it for?  I feel she deserves a Grammy for the Prism album.  But nobody else seems to like the album, and she will have competition from others who are more popular (Miley Cyrus, BeyoncĂ©, Adele, etc).  Unconditionally?  I seem to be the only person (aside from radio DJs) who likes that song, plus it will be mostly forgotten about by then.  Dark Horse?  Is that even eligible for next year?  If so, it will probably be nominated for best collaboration.  If it wins, there will be only 1 Grammy, but who gets it?  By right, it should be Katy, since the song is 90% Katy, but knowing her, she'll give it to Juicy J.  Though I assume that would still qualify Katy as a Grammy winning artist, which is what counts in the public opinion.  Or will it have an asterisk next to it?

It seems the rumors are that This is How We Do will be the next single.  No offense, but that song isn't Grammy material.  Others have suggested By the Grace of God.  I agree that it deserves a Grammy, but if Katy doesn't release it as a single, which nobody except me wants her to do, will it even be eligible?  What else from Prism is Grammy material?  Maybe Legendary Lovers?
In the case of a collaboration everyone involved gets the award. Same with songwriting teams, ect.

If you honestly think Prism is a shit album (which it's not) then that's your prerogative.

Did you even read my post?  I said that Prism is an excellent album, and it deserves a Grammy.  But, unfortunately, most people, including many on this board, don't seem to like it, for whatever reason.

Most of the good songs probably won't be released as singles

Which is why most people don't realize how good Katy is.
Missread your post. Sorry.

Do you mind editing your previous post, so it doesn't look like I'm speaking badly about Prism, when I've said nothing but positive things about that album the entire time I've been on this board?  Thank you.

I absolutely love Prism. I think the reason why it isn't getting as much hype as it should is because Teenage Dream was such a hit. No one can get past the new mature Katy. I do think Katy's songs are Grammy material. Unconditional definitely, Dark Horse, I love the song, but I don't know how good it is for the Grammys. I would personally love to see Birthday, International Smile, and Double Rainbow become huge.
Prism: let the light in

Offline KISStroyer/Katytroyer

• Ignites the Light
  • Producer of the Katy Perry Fan Podcast
« Reply #305 on: January 27, 2014, 07:48:16 PM »
Did...did....did he really just ignore my posts... :grr:

KISS: 12/5/09; 9/17/10; 8/3/12; 8/31/14
Katy: 10/10/14; 10/11/14 <3
The Pretty Reckless: 9/28/14 (M&G)
Katy Perry Fan Podcast
Twitter

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • don't be basic
« Reply #306 on: January 27, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »
Did...did....did he really just ignore my posts... :grr:
lol he did the same with me
In my opinion, Katy's iTunes playlist is bull.  It was just a bunch of no-talent teenage girl-oriented artists that work with Dr. Luke.  She was just trying to promote them.  I do not seriously beleive that is what Katy listens to.  After Ke$ha and Miley Cyrus, I gave up.

Presumptuous and wrong. And neither of those artists were featured on there.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:11:03 PM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #307 on: January 27, 2014, 08:04:31 PM »
  Dark Horse?  Is that even eligible for next year?  If so, it will probably be nominated for best collaboration.  If it wins, there will be only 1 Grammy, but who gets it?  By right, it should be Katy, since the song is 90% Katy, but knowing her, she'll give it to Juicy J.

Katy will be on tour then, so I doubt she'll even show up to the Grammys next year.  So probably Juicy J will accept it, or maybe Dr. Luke.

But everyone else here seems to just defend Adele, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Lorde, and Kacey Musgraves.  And I'm the only person here who seems to like Unconditonally, and the Prism album.

Broski, let me come down to your level here, since you either are not reading my posts or just aren't understand what it is I am trying to tell you.

IT IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD

You are far from being the only person that likes PRISM or Unconditionally.

Case in point, I tweeted back on the 24th, @KPFPodcast, that I was sad that Unconditionally didn't do better.

Dark Horse and every song from PRISM except Roar will be eligible for a Grammy next year. They were released after the cut off date. As for her being on tour, think she said, or someone said, she would be in Australia or w/e to end the year. Last North American date is October 11th. Figure she kicks back up November and ends before Christmas if even that long of a leg. Grammy's aren't till late January or early February. And even then she would take the time to go to the Grammy's.

I don't really think that it is a matter of everyone on here "defending" the other people, but more or less defending their rights as a basic human being because you are attacking them for no reason.

And to be straight up fucking honest here because this whole thing is annoying me now, I'm kinda surprised an admin/mod hasn't stepped in and told you to chill your damn pants.

You are LITERALLY the only person looking for a fight here. Everytime someone says something you have to retaliate in a rash manner. I mean, you completely fucking looked over my posts, so here they are AGAIN.

Broski chill yourself. We are all katycats here and considering the albums massive sales a lot like the album.

But once again I point out that how successful an artist is DOES NOT matter when it come to who gets the Grammy. If that was the case katy would win them all starting a few years back.

"The post you referred to asked several questions.  Guess you didn't read it.  Reading comprehension does not appear to be a strong suit of the posters on this forum."
Funny YOU should fucking say that.

Read my post and maybe that'll help you.

At the end of the day it's just a trophy. No need to get so upset over it.

The only bullshit given to Adele IMO was last year when she got song of the year for the live version of the song that own song of the year the year before.

Critics and awards only mean as much as you let them mean. Take it from me being a KISS fan. KISS got snubbed from the rock and roll hall of fame for over a decade while people like abba or hank Williams sr made it in.

KISS has also never won a Grammy. Yet they are one if the most successful and influential bands if all time.

You can't let her losing every year upset you this much. It's not like her losing will make you love her any less.

Again we are all katycats here. No one here is going to hate you for thinking otherwise on a topic but there is no reason to react so rash and snappy when ppl disagree with you.

It is at this point as if you are just looking for problems.

I know, I understand, you are upset that Katy didn't win again. But, guess what. It is a damn award. Shit, even david tweeted that it is the people that decide how great someone is, not awards.

The Grammy's are just a piece of metal handed out after being decided on by a few people.

Do I agree that she shouldn't have any grammy's at all? No, scratch that, hell no.

But guess what, It's just a fucking piece of metal. I still defend her and love her and care about her just as much if she had one.

I don't understand why you can't just accept that.

Do I think Lorde deserved it more than Katy? Probably not. Considering how far Katy has had to come. What with the failed record deals and the divorce and the near suicide. But that doesn't mean she doesn't deserve it. The whole "Katy's been around 8 years, Lorde's been around 5 minutes" is t-total bullshit. Lorde can actually sing. She has the talent, she put it to use. I personally think Roar is a superior song, but obviously not everyone agree's.

As for the Adele deal, Adele can also sing. Not saying she is the greatest voice of all time, but to deny that she can't sing is ignorant. Do I agree that not a single song from Teenage Dream shouldn't have a Grammy. No. Do I agree that Firework shouldn't have a Grammy. No. But guess what? They didn't win, and guess what? I don't really give a shit. When Katy lost last night for the first category guess what the first thing I did was? I literally tweeted "And cue the hate".

Second time she lost, first thing I did? Tweeted "Mother fucker. Heard Roy and thought they were saying roar." Followed by a comment on Lorde saying "I probably wouldn't be here without so and so" and ended with "Now back to Madden."

Was I a little upset that she lost, yeah. I didn't think she'd win, but I was kinda hoping she would.

You need to learn that you can't judge or rate a person on materialistic things such as Grammy's.

/rant

To claim the Grammy's are just a piece of metal makes about as much sense as saying a degree is nothing more than a piece of paper.

Offline steviep24

• Fierce
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #308 on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:35 PM »
If this bothers you so much maybe you should go before the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences and complain.
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline KISStroyer/Katytroyer

• Ignites the Light
  • Producer of the Katy Perry Fan Podcast
« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
To claim the Grammy's are just a piece of metal makes about as much sense as saying a degree is nothing more than a piece of paper.

All of that and you get out of it was the..nevermind :grr:

In a way you aren't exactly wrong. A degree is nothing more than a piece of paper. However your analogy is a bit flawed. There isn't a set way of getting a Grammy. You just have to try your best and hope that people's opinions favor your. With a degree you have to complete the required course.

And none-the-less, the degree doesn't define who you are. There are plenty of success people without a degree (grammy) and plenty of unsuccessful people with a degree (grammy). Just because you go to school and get a major in economics doesn't mean you will have a successful career. And just because you don't have a degree in economics doesn't mean you can't have a successful career.

KISS: 12/5/09; 9/17/10; 8/3/12; 8/31/14
Katy: 10/10/14; 10/11/14 <3
The Pretty Reckless: 9/28/14 (M&G)
Katy Perry Fan Podcast
Twitter

Offline flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
  • It is all so simple, just deal with it
« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »
Jeezus guys, can we chill? Katy's been in the spotlight since when, end of '08? So that's just about 5 years of being "famous". She's released 3 albums, one of which is not even close to being halfway done promoted, and she's about to kick off her second worldwide arena tour. She's had 10 number one singles (11 next week), and god knows how many more. She's matched feats only the King of Pop has. And she's been around for FIVE YEARS.

Did you guys know that Led Zeppelin won their first ever Grammy (other than Grammy Hall of Fame) yesterday? They released their first album in 1969. They are widely regarded as the creators of modern rock and metal music. Yet, it took them 45 years to win a Grammy. Well I'll be damned if Katy's in her 60s when she wins her first, but I'm just trying to put things in perspective for you. As far as pop culture goes, she's somewhat of a new artist. Look how long Beyonce or Pink has been around compared to Katy.

She didn't win a Grammy for one song on a relatively brand new album. Literally, one song was nominated out of a possible one. Dark Horse hasn't hit its prime yet, not to mention the at least 4 more singles she's going to release over the course of the year. Prism should be up for album of the year next year.

The point is, we complain she hasn't won a Grammy yet, when in all fairness, she hasn't hit her prime. The future's bright, and unless she decides she's quitting after Prism, there will be plenty of Grammy's in her future. And we'll all look back and laugh at how concerne and upset we were when she got snubbed a few times.

/rant

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO

Katycat # 133136
@flapfkp

Offline steviep24

• Fierce
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #311 on: January 27, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »
Jeezus guys, can we chill? Katy's been in the spotlight since when, end of '08? So that's just about 5 years of being "famous". She's released 3 albums, one of which is not even close to being halfway done promoted, and she's about to kick off her second worldwide arena tour. She's had 10 number one singles (11 next week), and god knows how many more. She's matched feats only the King of Pop has. And she's been around for FIVE YEARS.

Did you guys know that Led Zeppelin won their first ever Grammy (other than Grammy Hall of Fame) yesterday? They released their first album in 1969. They are widely regarded as the creators of modern rock and metal music. Yet, it took them 45 years to win a Grammy. Well I'll be damned if Katy's in her 60s when she wins her first, but I'm just trying to put things in perspective for you. As far as pop culture goes, she's somewhat of a new artist. Look how long Beyonce or Pink has been around compared to Katy.

She didn't win a Grammy for one song on a relatively brand new album. Literally, one song was nominated out of a possible one. Dark Horse hasn't hit its prime yet, not to mention the at least 4 more singles she's going to release over the course of the year. Prism should be up for album of the year next year.

The point is, we complain she hasn't won a Grammy yet, when in all fairness, she hasn't hit her prime. The future's bright, and unless she decides she's quitting after Prism, there will be plenty of Grammy's in her future. And we'll all look back and laugh at how concerne and upset we were when she got snubbed a few times.

/rant
I already mentioned Madonna. It took her a good 15 years for her to win one for her music.  There are many great ones who never won a Grammy.
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline katykrackel

• Reading Hemingway
  • Take a chance...
« Reply #312 on: January 27, 2014, 08:45:24 PM »
All of this reminds me of Leonardo DiCaprio. :lol:
You think you've seen her in a magazine, it's like she walked right out of your dreams...

Offline cathou02

• Melting Popsicle
  • One man's trash is another girl's treasure
« Reply #313 on: January 27, 2014, 09:10:29 PM »

shhhhhh... He seems to be having fun talking to himself... He won't have to try to convince too hard :eyes: :pinkbow:
you're right :lol: :hehe: :rofl:

7/2/11, Montreal, Best day of my life <3
Proud KatyCat #585

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #314 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:42 PM »

All of that and you get out of it was the..nevermind :grr:

In a way you aren't exactly wrong. A degree is nothing more than a piece of paper. However your analogy is a bit flawed. There isn't a set way of getting a Grammy. You just have to try your best and hope that people's opinions favor your. With a degree you have to complete the required course.

And none-the-less, the degree doesn't define who you are. There are plenty of success people without a degree (grammy) and plenty of unsuccessful people with a degree (grammy). Just because you go to school and get a major in economics doesn't mean you will have a successful career. And just because you don't have a degree in economics doesn't mean you can't have a successful career.

Most jobs won't hire you without the right degree.