Author Topic: 2014 Grammy Awards @ Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - January 26th 2014  (Read 9638 times)

Online TheMouse

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
Re: 2014 Grammy Awards @ Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - January 26th 2014
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »
It is not necessary to be upset to the Grammy's votes. Lot of great artists which deserve to win a Grammy never won one. For me, Katy deserves all awards on the earth. She has my most precious award. She was gorgeous as always, and her performance was great. Keep running Katy!
I like what you say, very much.
And while Katy Perry fans were spraying venom and death wishes about Lorde over twitter last night I bet Katy was at the same time having a smashing good time with friends and family.

The day my friend told me that I'm '...a natural blues singer...' (August 12th 2014) Why can't every day be like that? 

IthinkIwouldcommitsuicideanytimeifitsavedkaty'slifebecauseI'velivedmineandtheworldneedshermore

:firework: :frolickingghost: :firework: :frolickingghost: :firework:

Offline CiaraCandyCat

• A Dead Battery
« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
It is not necessary to be upset to the Grammy's votes. Lot of great artists which deserve to win a Grammy never won one. For me, Katy deserves all awards on the earth. She has my most precious award. She was gorgeous as always, and her performance was great. Keep running Katy!
And while Katy Perry fans were spraying venom and death wishes about Lorde over twitter last night I bet Katy was at the same time having a smashing good time with friends and family.
Exactly. Katy likes Lorde as an artist and has tweeted her a few times. I'm sure she wouldn't be happy knowing what some people were saying about her last night.

Nov 7th 2011 - #DublinDreams
May 7th 2014 - Belfast #PrismaticWorldTour
Twitter: @lollipocalypse_
Tumblr: bogey-lowenstein.tumblr.com

Offline cathou02

• Melting Popsicle
  • One man's trash is another girl's treasure
« Reply #242 on: January 27, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »
Exactly. Katy likes Lorde as an artist and has tweeted her a few times. I'm sure she wouldn't be happy knowing what some people were saying about her last night.
She was obviously happy when Lorde won, and we all know that Katy wouldn't like to see the negative comments of some Katy Cats...

7/2/11, Montreal, Best day of my life <3
Proud KatyCat #585

Offline KISStroyer/Katytroyer

• Ignites the Light
  • Producer of the Katy Perry Fan Podcast
« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »
At the end of the day it's just a trophy. No need to get so upset over it.

The only bullshit given to Adele IMO was last year when she got song of the year for the live version of the song that own song of the year the year before.

Critics and awards only mean as much as you let them mean. Take it from me being a KISS fan. KISS got snubbed from the rock and roll hall of fame for over a decade while people like abba or hank Williams sr made it in.

KISS has also never won a Grammy. Yet they are one if the most successful and influential bands if all time.

You can't let her losing every year upset you this much. It's not like her losing will make you love her any less.

KISS: 12/5/09; 9/17/10; 8/3/12; 8/31/14
Katy: 10/10/14; 10/11/14 <3
The Pretty Reckless: 9/28/14 (M&G)
Katy Perry Fan Podcast
Twitter

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
I'm not looking to start a flame war, and I have nothing against Lourde.  I think it's an absolute disgrace that Katy still has not won a Grammy, but that so many lesser artists have won.  And it bugs me to no end that the public considers the Grammys to be the only award that matters.

Without starting a flame war, can somebody answer these questions for me:

1. Why has Katy still not won a Grammy, when so many lesser artists have?

2. Why can't they split awards?: of the 2 awards that both Katy and Lourde were nominated for, give 1 to Katy and 1 to Lourde?  Or, 2 years ago, give 5 to Adele and 1 to Katy?

3. Why does the general public consider the Grammy's to be the only awards that matter, even though they are decided by a small group of insiders that don't represent the general public, and is obviously subjective in nature?

4. Why does Katy win just about every award in existence (AMA, EMA, VMA, Billboard, People's Choice) but not the Grammy's?
1. well, if you listed some other artists I would probably be able to help you

Last night alone, Lorde and Kacey Musgrave.

2. Um... because that's just not how awards work? Ever...

It seems to be how other awards work.

3. First of all I'd say most of the general public probably doesn't care who wins what award that much but the Grammys just are considered to be the most important, just like the Oscars are with film. First of all because the winners are decided by an academy of judges who are considered very important people in the music industry instead of fans who are biased and don't know what they're talking about. And secondly because the Grammys are like no other award ceremony as they award pretty much every genre under the sun, you name it,(there are something like 80 categories), not just pop music, so judges for the Grammys are considered music experts who know what they're talking about.

These so called "experts" are just as biased as anyone else.

4. Those awards are all voted on by stans on the internet, Grammys aren't. There have been years where Katy was close to winning a grammy, but just very unlucky, eg in 2012 with Firework (to steal Conalae's words) she would have won a Grammy in any other year, but she was very unlucky that Adele was in her way in 2012.

But Firework was far better than anything Adele has ever sung.  Even if you don't agree, how can you justify giving Adele 6 Grammy's and Katy 0.  If they gave Katy even 1 Grammy and Adele 5, although I would not have agreed with that decision, I would have accepted it, given how subjective music is.  In my opinion, Adele sounds like a bad 80 year old karaoke singer with a 5 pack a day smoking habit.  I realize not everyone agrees with me.  But to give Adele 6 Grammy's and Katy 0 makes it seem like there is some objective standard to judge music, but none exist.

*it's Lorde

Whatever.

Enjoy your Adele concert.
You clearly cannot judge her music objectively! You talk with your personal taste and your opinion. But what arguments do you have to say that Katy is better than anyone else? I mean, REAL arguments. Not just "she does great music" or "she sounds good". Mayabe Adele won because she has a higher range in her voice, or because her music is more complex, original or subtle. I don't know? But it's not because we are katycats that we need to bash out every other artist and think that Katy is better than anyone else.

Answer this question: if you say I cannot judge music objectively, then how can the idiots on the Grammy committee judge music objectively?
Maybe because there is a comittee (a group of people), so that if one person have a preference for an artist, I won't really count, because a lot of them will be voting and/or arguing. And these persons are experts in music, they know what they're talking about. They've listened to a lot of music, so they can compare. And they are not groupies, so they can judge objectively. Even if you don't like a certain kind of sound, if you have the knowledge, you can still see if the music is original, researched, different, or whatever else adjective that can apply.

How can anyone objectively say Rolling in the Deep was a better song than Firework or Wide Awake?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »
(Deleted post)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:36:17 PM by mitsguy2001 »

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »
Mitsguy2001, again, it's *Musgraves. It really doesn't look great on you when you presume to know so much about these artists and how bad they are, yet you can't even spell their names.

My point is that she is so obscure and I had no idea who she was until a few days ago when I heard she was opening for a few of Katy's concerts.  I didn't care how to spell her name, since she's someone who would be booed and have eggs thrown at her, not someone who would win a Grammy when the main act still doesn't.  If it weren't for Katy, Kacey Musgraves would probably be serving drinks in a bar.

Many people like both Kacey Musgraves and Lorde (I can't think of any reason to think why either of them aren't talented and shouldn't have won awards),

First of all, I said that I have nothing against Lorde, and I do like her song Royals.

Secondly, if you say that they both deserved 2 Grammys, then explain to me why you feel that Katy deserves 0 Grammys.

just because you don't see why they're good, it doesn't mean they aren't, your opinion is not the be all and end all of everything (and neither are the Grammys, so I don't see why you're so worked up over this). And the reason why contemporaries of Katy's like Beyoncé, Rihanna, Taylor Swift and others win Grammys more easily is because their music can often be put into more categories than just pop (in these instances, R&B, sometimes Hip-Hop, and country), whereas the only categories Katy can fit into are the pop ones, where the competition is the most fierce because 'pop music' means something far less specific, there are many different sub-genres of pop, so such a vast range of songs can be nominated for those awards.

Then maybe Katy needs to start writing music that can double dip into multiple categories.

No, because Pop Vocal and Song of the Year are two very different categories and they're probably not voted on by the same panel of people and they can't just say 'oh, Royals has enough now, let's just give one to Katy cause she doesn't have any yet', if Lorde is seen as the person who deserves to win in that category, she'll get the award. And she was deserving of both of those awards, she did some very nice, creative things with the vocals in Royals and whilst Roar was huge, Royals and Same Love were too and those songs really got people talking about the issues addressed in them (whereas people more just thought Roar was a good song), and that's why they were bigger contenders for SOTY.

Then explain to my why Rolling in the Deep deserved 7 Grammys split between 2 years, when neither Firework nor Wide Awake deserved any?

You can believe that about Adele all you want, but there are other people who believe the opposite. I'm not justifying it at all, I didn't say it was the right decision, everyone has their own opinion and I agree, the academy seems to move a lot towards anything Adele puts out but that's just the way it is. It's not the end of the world, no one is dying, it's not a huge deal. In my opinion, if people really believed in Katy's talent, they wouldn't feel the need to have validation from the Grammy academy in order to feel good about her.

But it's frustrating how everybody I know hates Katy, and they think she sucks because she hasn't won a Grammy.

Whatever.

Being rude to people when they're only trying to answer your questions for you. Nice.
[/quote]

Since you seem to love Adele so much, and you seem to think she is objectively the best female singer in history, why don't you go to her concerts?  If you do go, I hope you enjoy it.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #247 on: January 27, 2014, 12:32:13 PM »
I'm not looking to start a flame war, and I have nothing against Lourde.  I think it's an absolute disgrace that Katy still has not won a Grammy, but that so many lesser artists have won.  And it bugs me to no end that the public considers the Grammys to be the only award that matters.

Without starting a flame war, can somebody answer these questions for me:

1. Why has Katy still not won a Grammy, when so many lesser artists have?

2. Why can't they split awards?: of the 2 awards that both Katy and Lourde were nominated for, give 1 to Katy and 1 to Lourde?  Or, 2 years ago, give 5 to Adele and 1 to Katy?

3. Why does the general public consider the Grammy's to be the only awards that matter, even though they are decided by a small group of insiders that don't represent the general public, and is obviously subjective in nature?

4. Why does Katy win just about every award in existence (AMA, EMA, VMA, Billboard, People's Choice) but not the Grammy's?
1. well, if you listed some other artists I would probably be able to help you

Last night alone, Lorde and Kacey Musgrave.

2. Um... because that's just not how awards work? Ever...

It seems to be how other awards work.

3. First of all I'd say most of the general public probably doesn't care who wins what award that much but the Grammys just are considered to be the most important, just like the Oscars are with film. First of all because the winners are decided by an academy of judges who are considered very important people in the music industry instead of fans who are biased and don't know what they're talking about. And secondly because the Grammys are like no other award ceremony as they award pretty much every genre under the sun, you name it,(there are something like 80 categories), not just pop music, so judges for the Grammys are considered music experts who know what they're talking about.

These so called "experts" are just as biased as anyone else.

4. Those awards are all voted on by stans on the internet, Grammys aren't. There have been years where Katy was close to winning a grammy, but just very unlucky, eg in 2012 with Firework (to steal Conalae's words) she would have won a Grammy in any other year, but she was very unlucky that Adele was in her way in 2012.

But Firework was far better than anything Adele has ever sung.  Even if you don't agree, how can you justify giving Adele 6 Grammy's and Katy 0.  If they gave Katy even 1 Grammy and Adele 5, although I would not have agreed with that decision, I would have accepted it, given how subjective music is.  In my opinion, Adele sounds like a bad 80 year old karaoke singer with a 5 pack a day smoking habit.  I realize not everyone agrees with me.  But to give Adele 6 Grammy's and Katy 0 makes it seem like there is some objective standard to judge music, but none exist.

*it's Lorde

Whatever.

I appreciate that you are unhappy about decisions and results of events which none of us can influence, and about which each one of us is unhappy to a certain degree each in their own way, but if you start again lashing out at other artists and try dragging them down it won't give Katy an award.
I don't know why you single out Adele for that just now, other than you perhaps still have hard feelings about the six awards,

I was on a cruise last year where one of the waitresses sang "Somebody Like You" a million times better than Adele can even dream of singing.  Yet Adele has 7 Grammys and makes millions of dollars, and the other woman is working as a waitress on a cruise ship.  One of my best friends sang that song at a karaoke a few years ago, and sang it a million times better than Adele, and she's not even that good a singer (she was an unsuccessful American Idol auditioner).  I saw on YouTube Katy covering that same song at her concert in Birmingham, UK, on Oct. 26, 2011, and she also sang it a million times better than Adele, yet Katy has 0 Grammys.  Everyone acts like Adele is objectively the best female singer in history, while everyone just wrongly assumes that Katy sucks.

but what you say about her moves closely towards the popular twitter comment about Katy sounding like a cat which tail got stepped on;

And how can anyone objectively say that?  Katy's voice is so beautiful.  I realize Katy loves cats (as do I), but using cat-related analogies to describe her voice is getting old.  I even read somewhere that her voice sounds like an "angelic meow".  What does that even mean?  Is it a positive or a negative?

only recently we've all been urged to not use the slagging off of artists who are not Katy Perry, thinking that gave us a valid argument to be used for anything. I've never listened to one of Adele's albums

You are not missing much.

and only watched one clip with her on YouTube, but my point is simply, let's not get into that area again of letting dislike and feelings of actually despising people take over.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #248 on: January 27, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »

Because she doesn't care since she's a part of the 1%.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #249 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »

Katy just seems to like all music.  She probably even likes atonal music.

Offline Katy Perry-Persian Fan

• Baby , you're a Firework
« Reply #250 on: January 27, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »
Let me tell u something Mr Grammy :

You Suck :grr:

Is that directed at me?  Maybe I think you suck too!

lol .  i wasn't mean with u .
mean to Grammy Awards . not u  :lol:

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #251 on: January 27, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
Let me tell u something Mr Grammy :

You Suck :grr:

Is that directed at me?  Maybe I think you suck too!

lol .  i wasn't mean with u .
mean to Grammy Awards . not u  :lol:

Ok, I'm sorry, and I will delete my post.

Offline Chica

• I'm not giving up
« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »
This Dark Horse Performance was soooo good!

Offline NomadsGirl4ever

• Know it all
  • Do it ALL again...
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »
Agreed!  :firework:
This Dark Horse Performance was soooo good!

By the grace of God... I finally met Katy!  :firework:

Offline CiaraCandyCat

• A Dead Battery
« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »

Katy just seems to like all music.  She probably even likes atonal music.
Nothing wrong with an open mind.  ;)

Nov 7th 2011 - #DublinDreams
May 7th 2014 - Belfast #PrismaticWorldTour
Twitter: @lollipocalypse_
Tumblr: bogey-lowenstein.tumblr.com