Author Topic: 2014 Grammy Awards @ Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - January 26th 2014  (Read 10567 times)

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
Re: 2014 Grammy Awards @ Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - January 26th 2014
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »
I'm not looking to start a flame war, and I have nothing against Lourde.  I think it's an absolute disgrace that Katy still has not won a Grammy, but that so many lesser artists have won.  And it bugs me to no end that the public considers the Grammys to be the only award that matters.

Without starting a flame war, can somebody answer these questions for me:

1. Why has Katy still not won a Grammy, when so many lesser artists have?

2. Why can't they split awards?: of the 2 awards that both Katy and Lourde were nominated for, give 1 to Katy and 1 to Lourde?  Or, 2 years ago, give 5 to Adele and 1 to Katy?

3. Why does the general public consider the Grammy's to be the only awards that matter, even though they are decided by a small group of insiders that don't represent the general public, and is obviously subjective in nature?

4. Why does Katy win just about every award in existence (AMA, EMA, VMA, Billboard, People's Choice) but not the Grammy's?
1. well, if you listed some other artists I would probably be able to help you

Last night alone, Lorde and Kacey Musgrave.

2. Um... because that's just not how awards work? Ever...

It seems to be how other awards work.

3. First of all I'd say most of the general public probably doesn't care who wins what award that much but the Grammys just are considered to be the most important, just like the Oscars are with film. First of all because the winners are decided by an academy of judges who are considered very important people in the music industry instead of fans who are biased and don't know what they're talking about. And secondly because the Grammys are like no other award ceremony as they award pretty much every genre under the sun, you name it,(there are something like 80 categories), not just pop music, so judges for the Grammys are considered music experts who know what they're talking about.

These so called "experts" are just as biased as anyone else.

4. Those awards are all voted on by stans on the internet, Grammys aren't. There have been years where Katy was close to winning a grammy, but just very unlucky, eg in 2012 with Firework (to steal Conalae's words) she would have won a Grammy in any other year, but she was very unlucky that Adele was in her way in 2012.

But Firework was far better than anything Adele has ever sung.  Even if you don't agree, how can you justify giving Adele 6 Grammy's and Katy 0.  If they gave Katy even 1 Grammy and Adele 5, although I would not have agreed with that decision, I would have accepted it, given how subjective music is.  In my opinion, Adele sounds like a bad 80 year old karaoke singer with a 5 pack a day smoking habit.  I realize not everyone agrees with me.  But to give Adele 6 Grammy's and Katy 0 makes it seem like there is some objective standard to judge music, but none exist.

*it's Lorde

Whatever.

Enjoy your Adele concert.

Offline GioMeow.

• Lost Control
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »
She was AMAZING!Best Grammys' performance.
She was sososo beautiful and i loved her performance(i was speechless)
It was a pity she didn't won,maybe next year (I hope)
I really loved her Valentino dress,she was an angel!

23/02/11 my first Katy's concert ♥

Offline cathou02

• Melting Popsicle
  • One man's trash is another girl's treasure
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »
I'm not looking to start a flame war, and I have nothing against Lourde.  I think it's an absolute disgrace that Katy still has not won a Grammy, but that so many lesser artists have won.  And it bugs me to no end that the public considers the Grammys to be the only award that matters.

2. Why can't they split awards?: of the 2 awards that both Katy and Lourde were nominated for, give 1 to Katy and 1 to Lourde?  Or, 2 years ago, give 5 to Adele and 1 to Katy?

3. Why does the general public consider the Grammy's to be the only awards that matter, even though they are decided by a small group of insiders that don't represent the general public, and is obviously subjective in nature?

4. Why does Katy win just about every award in existence (AMA, EMA, VMA, Billboard, People's Choice) but not the Grammy's?

3. First of all I'd say most of the general public probably doesn't care who wins what award that much but the Grammys just are considered to be the most important, just like the Oscars are with film. First of all because the winners are decided by an academy of judges who are considered very important people in the music industry instead of fans who are biased and don't know what they're talking about. And secondly because the Grammys are like no other award ceremony as they award pretty much every genre under the sun, you name it,(there are something like 80 categories), not just pop music, so judges for the Grammys are considered music experts who know what they're talking about.

4. Those awards are all voted on by stans on the internet, Grammys aren't. There have been years where Katy was close to winning a grammy, but just very unlucky, eg in 2012 with Firework (to steal Conalae's words) she would have won a Grammy in any other year, but she was very unlucky that Adele was in her way in 2012.

But Firework was far better than anything Adele has ever sung.  Even if you don't agree, how can you justify giving Adele 6 Grammy's and Katy 0.  If they gave Katy even 1 Grammy and Adele 5, although I would not have agreed with that decision, I would have accepted it, given how subjective music is.  In my opinion, Adele sounds like a bad 80 year old karaoke singer with a 5 pack a day smoking habit.  I realize not everyone agrees with me.  But to give Adele 6 Grammy's and Katy 0 makes it seem like there is some objective standard to judge music, but none exist.

*it's Lorde

Whatever.

You clearly cannot judge her music objectively! You talk with your personal taste and your opinion. But what arguments do you have to say that Katy is better than anyone else? I mean, REAL arguments. Not just "she does great music" or "she sounds good". Mayabe Adele won because she has a higher range in her voice, or because her music is more complex, original or subtle. I don't know? But it's not because we are katycats that we need to bash out every other artist and think that Katy is better than anyone else.

7/2/11, Montreal, Best day of my life <3
Proud KatyCat #585

Offline CiaraCandyCat

• A Dead Battery
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »

*it's Lorde

Whatever.

You clearly cannot judge her music objectively! You talk with your personal taste and your opinion. But what arguments do you have to say that Katy is better than anyone else? I mean, REAL arguments. Not just "she does great music" or "she sounds good". Mayabe Adele won because she has a higher range in her voice, or because her music is more complex, original or subtle. I don't know? But it's not because we are katycats that we need to bash out every other artist and think that Katy is better than anyone else.
This is the problem with a lot of people, the idea of objectivity. I totally understand that it's really frustrating to see Katy turn up every year after having a great time in the charts etc, doing a great performance and not winning anything. But it's like Leonardo DiCaprio and the Oscars... he has some of the most amazing performances in his movies but there is always someone even just a little bit stronger than him in his category, and I think that's Katy's problem. Lorde is fresh and different, as well as being very talented for her age, her song was like a breath of fresh air in the music industry (even if you don't like it, you gotta admit it's different!) and that caught the voters' attention.

The idea that awards should be "shared" is a bit ridiculous. If everyone got a Grammy there would be nothing special about them. The only reason other awards might are split (MTV etc) is probably because they actually want the artists to turn up to the ceremonies while the Grammys are so prestigious that everyone will turn up no matter what. I bet if it was Katy who won 6 Grammys no one would be complaining about how its unfair.  :lol:
I think Katy has a much bigger chance next year with a lot of stronger songs, hopefully next year will be hers!  :) Just keep positive!

Nov 7th 2011 - #DublinDreams
May 7th 2014 - Belfast #PrismaticWorldTour
Twitter: @lollipocalypse_
Tumblr: bogey-lowenstein.tumblr.com

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »

*it's Lorde

Whatever.

Answer this question: if you say I cannot judge music objectively, then how can the idiots on the Grammy committee judge music objectively?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »

*it's Lorde

Whatever.

This is the problem with a lot of people, the idea of objectivity. I totally understand that it's really frustrating to see Katy turn up every year after having a great time in the charts etc, doing a great performance and not winning anything. But it's like Leonardo DiCaprio and the Oscars... he has some of the most amazing performances in his movies but there is always someone even just a little bit stronger than him in his category, and I think that's Katy's problem. Lorde is fresh and different, as well as being very talented for her age, her song was like a breath of fresh air in the music industry (even if you don't like it, you gotta admit it's different!) and that caught the voters' attention.

The idea that awards should be "shared" is a bit ridiculous. If everyone got a Grammy there would be nothing special about them. The only reason other awards might are split (MTV etc) is probably because they actually want the artists to turn up to the ceremonies while the Grammys are so prestigious that everyone will turn up no matter what. I bet if it was Katy who won 6 Grammys no one would be complaining about how its unfair.  :lol:
I think Katy has a much bigger chance next year with a lot of stronger songs, hopefully next year will be hers!  :) Just keep positive!

If the awards shouldn't be shared (and I don't even think you understand what I mean), then why are there so many overlapping categories that serve no purpose other than to allow the possibility of sharing awards, or to just stick it in the face of somebody like Katy who the committee obviously hates by giving redundant awards to Adele and Taylor Swift (in years past) and to Lorde and Kacey Musgrave (in 2014)?  Why not just offer 1 award per genre?

Offline cathou02

• Melting Popsicle
  • One man's trash is another girl's treasure
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »

*it's Lorde

Whatever.

Answer this question: if you say I cannot judge music objectively, then how can the idiots on the Grammy committee judge music objectively?
Maybe because there is a comittee (a group of people), so that if one person have a preference for an artist, I won't really count, because a lot of them will be voting and/or arguing. And these persons are experts in music, they know what they're talking about. They've listened to a lot of music, so they can compare. And they are not groupies, so they can judge objectively. Even if you don't like a certain kind of sound, if you have the knowledge, you can still see if the music is original, researched, different, or whatever else adjective that can apply.

7/2/11, Montreal, Best day of my life <3
Proud KatyCat #585

Offline CiaraCandyCat

• A Dead Battery
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
If the awards shouldn't be shared (and I don't even think you understand what I mean), then why are there so many overlapping categories that serve no purpose other than to allow the possibility of sharing awards, or to just stick it in the face of somebody like Katy who the committee obviously hates by giving redundant awards to Adele and Taylor Swift (in years past) and to Lorde and Kacey Musgrave (in 2014)?  Why not just offer 1 award per genre?
I get what you mean about genres, and there are a few categories that are pointless (can anyone tell me the difference between Record of the Year and Song of the Year? Seems a bit weird.), but if Adele etc are all deserving of nominations for categories like song, album, female, etc which are all valid categories, well then she's entitled to win in them. If the winners are decided by ballot then it's fair. It's not like the committee all sit at a table and go "We won't give Katy any this year muahaha!"  :lol:

Offline Katy Perry-Persian Fan

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • Baby , you're a Firework
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
Katy Perry catches bouquet after mass wedding during Macklemore, Ryan Lewis' 'Same Love' performance
Link

Offline Katy Perry-Persian Fan

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • Baby , you're a Firework
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
Let me tell u something Mr Grammy :

You Suck :grr:

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
  • http://yoppappop.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2014, 11:05:21 AM »
I get what you mean about genres, and there are a few categories that are pointless (can anyone tell me the difference between Record of the Year and Song of the Year? Seems a bit weird.), but if Adele etc are all deserving of nominations for categories like song, album, female, etc which are all valid categories, well then she's entitled to win in them. If the winners are decided by ballot then it's fair. It's not like the committee all sit at a table and go "We won't give Katy any this year muahaha!"  :lol:

i looked it up and there is actually a difference :
- Song of the Year is mainly for the song itself, meaning it goes basically to the songwriter(s) of the song
- Record of the Year includes the whole team that recorded the song : sound engineer, producer, singer, songwriter, etc.

=> Song of the Year is about the song and what it might say, and Record of the Year goes to the "technics", so they absoloutely don't overlap each other, they don't necessarly go to the same people for one song.

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • don't be basic
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2014, 11:07:19 AM »
Mitsguy2001, again, it's *Musgraves. It really doesn't look great on you when you presume to know so much about these artists and how bad they are, yet you can't even spell their names. Many people like both Kacey Musgraves and Lorde (I can't think of any reason to think why either of them aren't talented and shouldn't have won awards), just because you don't see why they're good, it doesn't mean they aren't, your opinion is not the be all and end all of everything (and neither are the Grammys, so I don't see why you're so worked up over this). And the reason why contemporaries of Katy's like Beyoncé, Rihanna, Taylor Swift and others win Grammys more easily is because their music can often be put into more categories than just pop (in these instances, R&B, sometimes Hip-Hop, and country), whereas the only categories Katy can fit into are the pop ones, where the competition is the most fierce because 'pop music' means something far less specific, there are many different sub-genres of pop, so such a vast range of songs can be nominated for those awards.

No, because Pop Vocal and Song of the Year are two very different categories and they're probably not voted on by the same panel of people and they can't just say 'oh, Royals has enough now, let's just give one to Katy cause she doesn't have any yet', if Lorde is seen as the person who deserves to win in that category, she'll get the award. And she was deserving of both of those awards, she did some very nice, creative things with the vocals in Royals and whilst Roar was huge, Royals and Same Love were too and those songs really got people talking about the issues addressed in them (whereas people more just thought Roar was a good song), and that's why they were bigger contenders for SOTY.

You can believe that about Adele all you want, but there are other people who believe the opposite. I'm not justifying it at all, I didn't say it was the right decision, everyone has their own opinion and I agree, the academy seems to move a lot towards anything Adele puts out but that's just the way it is. It's not the end of the world, no one is dying, it's not a huge deal. In my opinion, if people really believed in Katy's talent, they wouldn't feel the need to have validation from the Grammy academy in order to feel good about her.

Whatever.

Being rude to people when they're only trying to answer your questions for you. Nice.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:19:12 AM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline TheMouse

• Know it all
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »

*it's Lorde

Whatever.

I appreciate that you are unhappy about decisions and results of events which none of us can influence, and about which each one of us is unhappy to a certain degree each in their own way, but if you start again lashing out at other artists and try dragging them down it won't give Katy an award.
I don't know why you single out Adele for that just now, other than you perhaps still have hard feelings about the six awards, but what you say about her moves closely towards the popular twitter comment about Katy sounding like a cat which tail got stepped on; only recently we've all been urged to not use the slagging off of artists who are not Katy Perry, thinking that gave us a valid argument to be used for anything. I've never listened to one of Adele's albums and only watched one clip with her on YouTube, but my point is simply, let's not get into that area again of letting dislike and feelings of actually despising people take over.

Me and my new ADMIRA from Spain are gonna be one damn firework.
I love her unconditionally.

:firework: :frolickingghost: :firework:

When I grow up I'm gonna be: an astronaut. President Katy Perry's personal assistant

Offline CiaraCandyCat

• A Dead Battery
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
#broomwerk gifs coming through.

i looked it up and there is actually a difference :
- Song of the Year is mainly for the song itself, meaning it goes basically to the songwriter(s) of the song
- Record of the Year includes the whole team that recorded the song : sound engineer, producer, singer, songwriter, etc.

=> Song of the Year is about the song and what it might say, and Record of the Year goes to the "technics", so they absoloutely don't overlap each other, they don't necessarly go to the same people for one song.

Thank you! I was quite confused last night.  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:18:46 AM by CiaraCandyCat »

Offline Hanni2010

• Real Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
She was so beautiful. I love her performance. i watch it every single time.

Cant wait to see dark horse live at her tour :dreamboat: