Author Topic: 2014 Grammy Awards @ Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - January 26th 2014  (Read 9194 times)

Offline Chica

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm not giving up
Re: 2014 Grammy Awards @ Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA - January 26th 2014
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2014, 02:00:39 AM »
Such a shame she didn't won. :(

Offline KatyCat91

• Got a Bloody Knee
  • Katycat
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50:37 AM »
Great performance, got me really excited for the tour :D

One of these days, Katy will win a Grammy!!
Baby don't blink and miss this moment <3

Offline iPotable

• U think you're a Genius!
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:59 AM »
It is not necessary to be upset to the Grammy's votes. Lot of great artists which deserve to win a Grammy never won one. For me, Katy deserves all awards on the earth. She has my most precious award. She was gorgeous as always, and her performance was great. Keep running Katy!
The Prismatic World Tour - Lyon 20/02/15

Offline JustWokeUpInVegas

• Purrrfection
  • So, this is what I get?
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2014, 05:04:43 AM »
Really disappointed.  :ummno: I'm not hating on Lorde though, I like Royals. But I'm disappointed on how she didn't win an award.

Her performance was great! Finally got to see it. ;D I hate how people say how it's so "satanic" and start talking about Illuminati. What would they expect from a dark song? Rainbows, unicorns and kittens? :ummno:

by the way i dont care for this stupid awards . i just wanna keep listening to ROAR .like now
Feeling the same way. If Katy won a Grammy right here, right now, I don't think I'll be too happy. Just a boring 'yay'.  ;partypooper:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:09:36 AM by JustWokeUpInVegas »

Offline sparkleattack

• Likes to Twerk-a-Lot
  • ~sparkle face~
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2014, 05:52:16 AM »
I love Katy, but that Dark Horse performance was just a little too dark for me. I get that the song was inspired by the movie 'The Craft', but she's scaring me :p
2014 - May 31st - Prismatic World Tour - London o2 Arena
2015 - March 9th - Prismatic World Tour - Amsterdam Ziggo Dome

Online OfficiallyAKatyKat4Life

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • "who's dropping farts in Candyfornia?"
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:45 AM »
i think the performance was INCREDIBLE!..i love how many visuals katy uses in big performances like these :)

i really didnt mind that she didnt win those grammys,a "best performance" award,really isnt the highest honor,so IMO that didnt really matter..but i thought she wouldve had a better chance winning the song of the year,but i wouldve never guessed lorde wouldve won that.i thought macklemore and ryan lewis deserved it the absolute most!..it made a huge statement in the past year,and of course on the charts too…really dont understand why lorde won that one IMO

Still waiting to meet her...one day :bambi:
Katy Cat #23892
PHHHOTO:walshiee
Twitter @KatysSoyQuiche
PWT 9-17-14 & 9-22-14
ps..forgive me for misspelling my username :-[

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
  • http://yoppappop.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2014, 06:34:39 AM »
Grinch coming up ;) ... I do love the amazing visuals, but sometimes i wish she would just showcase her voice instead of all that jazz...
Also the cross ? Really necessary ? I don't like any religious symbols in these kinds of representations (non religious songs or musical performances...) unless it's the theme, and clearly, there are so many "dark magic" symbols (different from satanism, that would fuel as much controversy as a cross) that could have been used.
It sometimes feels like it's just giving the stick to get hit by. And it also feels like more credit go to "stripped down" performances.
I agree Dark Horse doesn't fit the bill for a stripped down performance, though :) Just a general impression, not a rant, i did like the visuals this time and at the AMAs, it's really just a feeling.

Offline JohnLovesKaty

• Left The Gas On
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
My 2 cents.....Miss Katy looked adorable on the red carpet. As for her performance of Dark Horse, I thought it was on the weird side....nothing against the song though. As much as I wanted to see her win, I thought Miss Lorde would win, and she did. This young lady is so good.

I hope Katy will prevail next year.

Offline mitsguy2001

• Head-Turning
  • Katycat
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2014, 08:35:30 AM »
I'm not looking to start a flame war, and I have nothing against Lourde.  I think it's an absolute disgrace that Katy still has not won a Grammy, but that so many lesser artists have won.  And it bugs me to no end that the public considers the Grammys to be the only award that matters.

Without starting a flame war, can somebody answer these questions for me:

1. Why has Katy still not won a Grammy, when so many lesser artists have?

2. Why can't they split awards?: of the 2 awards that both Katy and Lourde were nominated for, give 1 to Katy and 1 to Lourde?  Or, 2 years ago, give 5 to Adele and 1 to Katy?

3. Why does the general public consider the Grammy's to be the only awards that matter, even though they are decided by a small group of insiders that don't represent the general public, and is obviously subjective in nature?

4. Why does Katy win just about every award in existence (AMA, EMA, VMA, Billboard, People's Choice) but not the Grammy's?

Offline RoCk_StAr_GiRl

• Reading Hemingway
  • Glitter all over the room....
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:45 AM »
Katy looked so beautiful last night and I personally LOVED her performance. It was very dark but I think it showed a completely different side to her to the general public (many of whom will still associate her with CDT era)

Offline katykicksass

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • Once a KatyCat, Always a KatyCat
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
I'm not looking to start a flame war, and I have nothing against Lourde.  I think it's an absolute disgrace that Katy still has not won a Grammy, but that so many lesser artists have won.  And it bugs me to no end that the public considers the Grammys to be the only award that matters.

2. Why can't they split awards?: of the 2 awards that both Katy and Lourde were nominated for, give 1 to Katy and 1 to Lourde?  Or, 2 years ago, give 5 to Adele and 1 to Katy?

3. Why does the general public consider the Grammy's to be the only awards that matter, even though they are decided by a small group of insiders that don't represent the general public, and is obviously subjective in nature?

4. Why does Katy win just about every award in existence (AMA, EMA, VMA, Billboard, People's Choice) but not the Grammy's?

1. We have NO idea why Katy hasn't gotten a Grammy yet. T
2. How're they gonna split awards?
3. The Grammy Awards SUCK!
4. All the other awards LOVE Katy and the Grammy Awards (one person) hate her for some reason.

They get Katy's and our hopes up that she'll be winning and then someone else snags the awards she deserves.

Katy looked beautiful on the red carpet and her performance was AWESOME! I loved the whole thing. The pole dancing, the fire...everything.
06/30/2011 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/18/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
07/21/2014 Toronto @ Air Canada Centre

Offline mitsguy2001

• Head-Turning
  • Katycat
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »

1. We have NO idea why Katy hasn't gotten a Grammy yet. T
2. How're they gonna split awards?

Katy and Lourde were nominated for the same 2 awards.  Give one to Katy, give one to Lourde.  That was done, for example, at the EMAs.  They gave Katy best female, and gave Miley best American.  Obviously both are female and both are American, so they obviously split the awards there.  In 2012, they could have given Katy 1 award and Adele 5 awards, rather than all 6 to Adele.

3. The Grammy Awards SUCK!

True, but that doesn't answer my question.

4. All the other awards LOVE Katy and the Grammy Awards (one person) hate her for some reason.

So the Grammys are decided by just one person??  That's ridiculous.  If so, why does the public put so much weight on the Grammy's, and so little weight on the other awards?

They get Katy's and our hopes up that she'll be winning and then someone else snags the awards she deserves.

Katy looked beautiful on the red carpet and her performance was AWESOME! I loved the whole thing. The pole dancing, the fire...everything.

None of that means anything to the general public.

Offline TheMouse

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »
Grinch coming up ;) ... I do love the amazing visuals, but sometimes i wish she would just showcase her voice instead of all that jazz...
Also the cross ? Really necessary ? I don't like any religious symbols in these kinds of representations (non religious songs or musical performances...) unless it's the theme, and clearly, there are so many "dark magic" symbols (different from satanism, that would fuel as much controversy as a cross) that could have been used.
It sometimes feels like it's just giving the stick to get hit by. And it also feels like more credit go to "stripped down" performances.
I agree Dark Horse doesn't fit the bill for a stripped down performance, though :) Just a general impression, not a rant, i did like the visuals this time and at the AMAs, it's really just a feeling.

Katy was absolutely showcasing her voice last night during her performance, it was her best sung stage performance of Dark Horse ever. To do the song at the Grammy award show she can't do without 'all that jazz', however; she needs to put up something big.
IMO, yes, the cross was a good choice; the burning of witches was done by the Christian church through centuries, and the cross is a dark symbol to me - also, the kind of cross (color etc) of Katy's costume looked similar to the one used by witch hunters in the past. Her outfit and many other things I saw on the stage were a symbol of both the dark times of women being prosecuted by religious fanatics as well as the re empowerment of women. At the same time, Dark Horse can never be presented too much in the way of black magick (not satanic though, lol) because after all that's what it is about.
The only stripped down version of Dark Horse I've seen was also fantastic though! 

:) She gave me my guitar back...
She gave me my voice back...

...and I have opened one that leads me to the perfect road :firework:

...what more could I want? :frolickingghost: :frolickingghost: :frolickingghost:

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • don't be basic
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »

1. well, if you listed some other artists I would probably be able to help you

2. Um... because that's just not how awards work? Ever...

3. First of all I'd say most of the general public probably doesn't care who wins what award that much but the Grammys just are considered to be the most important, just like the Oscars are with film. First of all because the winners are decided by an academy of judges who are considered very important people in the music industry instead of fans who are biased and don't know what they're talking about. And secondly because the Grammys are like no other award ceremony as they award pretty much every genre under the sun, you name it,(there are something like 80 categories), not just pop music, so judges for the Grammys are considered music experts who know what they're talking about.

4. Those awards are all voted on by stans on the internet, Grammys aren't. There have been years where Katy was close to winning a grammy, but just very unlucky, eg in 2012 with Firework (to steal Conalae's words) she would have won a Grammy in any other year, but she was very unlucky that Adele was in her way in 2012.

*it's Lorde
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:48:17 AM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline Olivia

• Calendar Bitch
  • Is Ready
  • http://yoppappop.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »

Katy was absolutely showcasing her voice last night during her performance, it was her best sung stage performance of Dark Horse ever. To do the song at the Grammy award show she can't do without 'all that jazz', however; she needs to put up something big.
IMO, yes, the cross was a good choice; the burning of witches was done by the Christian church through centuries, and the cross is a dark symbol to me - also, the kind of cross (color etc) of Katy's costume looked similar to the one used by witch hunters in the past. Her outfit and many other things I saw on the stage were a symbol of both the dark times of women being prosecuted by religious fanatics as well as the re empowerment of women. At the same time, Dark Horse can never be presented too much in the way of black magick (not satanic though, lol) because after all that's what it is about.
The only stripped down version of Dark Horse I've seen was also fantastic though! 

you don't HAVE TO put up something big just because it's the Grammys... Other less staged performances were done, yesterday AND at all the Grammys ever (just for exemple, not making a comparison here : Beyoncé and her chair, Lorde and her dance moves :pinkbow:, Taylor Swift and her piano, Kacey Musgrave (not sure about the name) and her band, and all the other performers who didn't fly in the air or perform weddings :) i didn't watch everything). She chooses to do so because it's fun and big and she likes it and i totally understand that. But sometimes, i wish she would showcase the voice and less the visuals. It's just a thought. Extrapolation : it could be perceived as so she's hiding something (a lack of talent) behind the visuals, and you know some will easily throw that conclusion.
And i also said Dark Horse was not the perfect song to strip down the performance, it is just a thought in general.