Author Topic: Katy leaving Pop After Prism?  (Read 8391 times)

Offline flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
  • It is all so simple, just deal with it
Re: Katy leaving Pop After Prism?
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2014, 07:56:14 PM »
If Katy does release an acoustic album, do you think it will be mostly new versions of songs from past albums, or do you think it will be completely new material?  Do you think it will reach the level of success as her other albums.  If not, do you think Capitol Records will allow her to do it?
She already did the MTV unplugged thingy, and I think IF she were to release an acoustic album it would be similar.. I know she said she would really like to do an acoustic album, but I just don't see that happening; I mean besides from real katycats there probably isn't really a market for that kind of thing anyway.. and as for her leaving pop after Prism, yeah she might take a break from music and then branch out into different variations of pop but I don't think she could ever really leave it.  :katycat1:

And that's a shame, since the acoustic style really seems to be what suits her voice best.

I totally agree; but not just acoustic. Her style of Pop-rock on OOTB seems to fit her better than her style on Prism. Sometimes, I just feel like songs like Unconditionally (while beautiful and great) are a bit forced. I sometimes wish she went back to her style from OOTB. And if you listen to her unreleased songs from the early-mid 2000s, most of them are either acoustic or semi-rock. Hell, even TD had some rock elements to it.

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO
10/11/14 Houston, TX

Katycat # 133136
@flapfkp

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #211 on: March 23, 2014, 09:57:20 PM »
If Katy does release an acoustic album, do you think it will be mostly new versions of songs from past albums, or do you think it will be completely new material?  Do you think it will reach the level of success as her other albums.  If not, do you think Capitol Records will allow her to do it?
She already did the MTV unplugged thingy, and I think IF she were to release an acoustic album it would be similar.. I know she said she would really like to do an acoustic album, but I just don't see that happening; I mean besides from real katycats there probably isn't really a market for that kind of thing anyway.. and as for her leaving pop after Prism, yeah she might take a break from music and then branch out into different variations of pop but I don't think she could ever really leave it.  :katycat1:

And that's a shame, since the acoustic style really seems to be what suits her voice best.

I totally agree; but not just acoustic. Her style of Pop-rock on OOTB seems to fit her better than her style on Prism. Sometimes, I just feel like songs like Unconditionally (while beautiful and great) are a bit forced. I sometimes wish she went back to her style from OOTB. And if you listen to her unreleased songs from the early-mid 2000s, most of them are either acoustic or semi-rock. Hell, even TD had some rock elements to it.

Why do you not think Prism suits her voice well?  I think it does.  I think the style that works best with her is songs with soft verses and a strong, powerful, emotional chorus.  That style both shows off the softness and the power of her voice.  Then again, maybe you and I are both just talking about the style of music that we personally like.  I'm not sure that the rock style that you're talking about really shows off the soft beauty of her voice.

Offline flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »

Why do you not think Prism suits her voice well?  I think it does.  I think the style that works best with her is songs with soft verses and a strong, powerful, emotional chorus.  That style both shows off the softness and the power of her voice.  Then again, maybe you and I are both just talking about the style of music that we personally like.  I'm not sure that the rock style that you're talking about really shows off the soft beauty of her voice.

I don't know, it just seems like her style from '08 was more natural. There's no way for me to describe it really, because it's merely subjective. I just feel a more natural sound from that era. Having said all that, I may reevaluate after the PWT. She hasn't played most of the Prism songs live, and that's a good indication.

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO
10/11/14 Houston, TX

Katycat # 133136
@flapfkp

Offline Iced Diamonds

• Wannabe Stalker
  • I love angel eggs
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »

I don't know, it just seems like her style from '08 was more natural. There's no way for me to describe it really, because it's merely subjective. I just feel a more natural sound from that era. Having said all that, I may reevaluate after the PWT. She hasn't played most of the Prism songs live, and that's a good indication.
I understand what you mean by the OOTB era.. I guess it's because she wasn't as 'big' as she is now and so she had more freedom .. but now she's a main artist in the pop industry there has to be more rules maybe, and she can't just act like herself and swear as much as she used to cause there's a lot of kids at the concerts, buying her music etc.. and i'd say she's grown up a lot too  :katycat1:
♥ 7th May, Auckland, NZ - The most magical night ever - I MET KATY ♥♥♥!! I ♥ you KPF!
Katycat #2407

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2014, 12:07:03 AM »

I understand what you mean by the OOTB era.. I guess it's because she wasn't as 'big' as she is now and so she had more freedom .. but now she's a main artist in the pop industry there has to be more rules maybe, and she can't just act like herself and swear as much as she used to cause there's a lot of kids at the concerts, buying her music etc.. and i'd say she's grown up a lot too  :katycat1:

I know what you mean, and I do really wish that Katy was given more freedom to be herself, and not be controlled by industry insiders.  At the same time, I do realize that I would have to accept both what I like about her and what I don't like about her.  For one, I don't like hearing her curse, since, to me, she has the voice of an angel, and I hate hearing her voice used for anything other than to promote positive messages.

One thing that can be difficult is that (if you include Katy Hudson), Katy has 4 albums, all completely different from each other.  None of us know for sure who the "real" Katy is; sometimes, Katy herself might not know.  Depending on what kind of music one likes, people tend to have very strong preferences as to which album is the "real" Katy.  I see it differently.  I don't think she has really changed all that much, although she obviously has matured, as has her audience.  Every one of her albums has songs that could have easily fit onto other albums of hers.

I think a main reason why I like Prism so much is because, ever since I saw the Part of Me movie back in July 2012, Prism is exactly the album I expected her to do next!  In fact, I predicted that even before Katy herself did.  From the Part of Me movie, I felt that she was not completely comfortable with the whipped cream and other on-stage antics from the Teenage Dream era.  I expected her to move in a more adult contemporary direction, which is what she did with Prism.  I felt it was more the "real" Katy.  Plus, her audience matured with her, and I figured Katy would want to mature with her audience, rather than regress toward the next generation of teenage girls.  And besides, due to "regression toward the mean", given the unprecedented popularity of Teenage Dream, if her next album had been Teenage Dream 2.0, even if it was the absolute best album ever written, it would have been viewed as a less successful version of Teenage Dream.

Katy had expected her next album to be darker, after her divorce.  That was a fear that I had, and not what I wanted to see.  However, the album did not turn out that way, and she named it Prism, since it let the light in.  As I said, it turned out to be what I had expected since July 2012.  I always felt that the songs "Part of Me" and "Wide Awake" were a hint as to what Prism would be, since they were more mature songs that deal with her toughness (Part of Me) and her vulnerability (Wide Awake), which are both major themes on Prism (Roar showing her tough side, By the Grace of God showing her vulnerability).  Like I said, I predicted this album even before Katy did, since she had expected a darker album.  I think people who were expecting the darker album that Katy had mentioned were of course disappointed by Prism.  People who would have liked Prism but expected a darker album may not have ever given Prism a chance (I initially wasn't interested in it, since I had expected it to be a male bashing album, which of course it did not turn out to be at all).  People who were expecting Teenage Dream 2.0 were disappointed, even though it includes songs that could have been on Teenage Dream.  People expecting a return to One of the Boys were disappointed, even though it includes songs that could have been on One of the Boys.  People who were expecting a full Christian album were disappointed, even though it does include Christian-influenced songs.  In fact, some people seem to think the album is too Christian for their tastes.

Anyway, which songs do I believe are the "real" Katy?  Again, my opinion is based on the biases of my own personal preferences.  I tend to think the "real" Katy songs are "Thinking of You", "Lost", "Fingerprints", "Teenage Dream" (that song has so much special meaning to me, and I wish people would actually listen to the lyrics), "Firework", "The One that Got Away", "E.T", "Pearl", "Not Like the Movies", "Who Am I Living For" (possibly the best song from that album, and the most "real" Katy), "Part of Me", "Wide Awake", and basically all of "Prism", especially "Roar", "Legendary Lovers", "Unconditionally", "By the Grace of God", and the 3 bonus tracks (why those weren't on the standard version is beyond me).  But I consider every "Prism" song to be the "real" Katy, not just the ones I listed.

Offline flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2014, 12:56:59 AM »

I know what you mean, and I do really wish that Katy was given more freedom to be herself, and not be controlled by industry insiders.  At the same time, I do realize that I would have to accept both what I like about her and what I don't like about her.  For one, I don't like hearing her curse, since, to me, she has the voice of an angel, and I hate hearing her voice used for anything other than to promote positive messages.

One thing that can be difficult is that (if you include Katy Hudson), Katy has 4 albums, all completely different from each other.  None of us know for sure who the "real" Katy is; sometimes, Katy herself might not know.  Depending on what kind of music one likes, people tend to have very strong preferences as to which album is the "real" Katy.  I see it differently.  I don't think she has really changed all that much, although she obviously has matured, as has her audience.  Every one of her albums has songs that could have easily fit onto other albums of hers.

I think a main reason why I like Prism so much is because, ever since I saw the Part of Me movie back in July 2012, Prism is exactly the album I expected her to do next!  In fact, I predicted that even before Katy herself did.  From the Part of Me movie, I felt that she was not completely comfortable with the whipped cream and other on-stage antics from the Teenage Dream era.  I expected her to move in a more adult contemporary direction, which is what she did with Prism.  I felt it was more the "real" Katy.  Plus, her audience matured with her, and I figured Katy would want to mature with her audience, rather than regress toward the next generation of teenage girls.  And besides, due to "regression toward the mean", given the unprecedented popularity of Teenage Dream, if her next album had been Teenage Dream 2.0, even if it was the absolute best album ever written, it would have been viewed as a less successful version of Teenage Dream.

Katy had expected her next album to be darker, after her divorce.  That was a fear that I had, and not what I wanted to see.  However, the album did not turn out that way, and she named it Prism, since it let the light in.  As I said, it turned out to be what I had expected since July 2012.  I always felt that the songs "Part of Me" and "Wide Awake" were a hint as to what Prism would be, since they were more mature songs that deal with her toughness (Part of Me) and her vulnerability (Wide Awake), which are both major themes on Prism (Roar showing her tough side, By the Grace of God showing her vulnerability).  Like I said, I predicted this album even before Katy did, since she had expected a darker album.  I think people who were expecting the darker album that Katy had mentioned were of course disappointed by Prism.  People who would have liked Prism but expected a darker album may not have ever given Prism a chance (I initially wasn't interested in it, since I had expected it to be a male bashing album, which of course it did not turn out to be at all).  People who were expecting Teenage Dream 2.0 were disappointed, even though it includes songs that could have been on Teenage Dream.  People expecting a return to One of the Boys were disappointed, even though it includes songs that could have been on One of the Boys.  People who were expecting a full Christian album were disappointed, even though it does include Christian-influenced songs.  In fact, some people seem to think the album is too Christian for their tastes.

Anyway, which songs do I believe are the "real" Katy?  Again, my opinion is based on the biases of my own personal preferences.  I tend to think the "real" Katy songs are "Thinking of You", "Lost", "Fingerprints", "Teenage Dream" (that song has so much special meaning to me, and I wish people would actually listen to the lyrics), "Firework", "The One that Got Away", "E.T", "Pearl", "Not Like the Movies", "Who Am I Living For" (possibly the best song from that album, and the most "real" Katy), "Part of Me", "Wide Awake", and basically all of "Prism", especially "Roar", "Legendary Lovers", "Unconditionally", "By the Grace of God", and the 3 bonus tracks (why those weren't on the standard version is beyond me).  But I consider every "Prism" song to be the "real" Katy, not just the ones I listed.

Very well said. I think the next album is the best indication of what she's most comfortable with. I expect it to be similar to Prism in style. If so, then that's the direction she's moving in.

The way I see it, she performed OOTB songs on Warped Tour 6 years ago. Try to imagine her playing California Gurls on Warped Tour. Doesn't really add up. Now picture her singing Unconditionally in front of a crowd of thousands of high teenagers sweating their asses off for 15 hours to get a somewhat decent view, just to leave for another artist. The change in her music is incredibly obvious, and probably for the best. I never said I didn't like her new music. It Takes Two is one of my favorite Katy songs on her entire discography. I just wish she would do more songs like Thinking of You and Lost.

But that won't happen, because the record company values her as probably their most important artist. I'd imagine there's a bit of pressure from Capitol to produce a hit-making album, which means standard pop. You wonder if a song like Dark Horse is something Katy was initially comfortable with. I can see the label telling her she has to do a song with a rapper to top charts. So the biggest difference between OOTB, TD, and Prism has to be what she has control of. OOTB was completely written by her. If the song is on the album, it was her idea. With TD, same thing for the most part, although guys like Dr. Luke came into the picture. But with Prism, there are certain songs that I can see her being told to write. But just speculation on my part. Regardless, I love the record and glad it's successful so far.

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO
10/11/14 Houston, TX

Katycat # 133136
@flapfkp

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »

Very well said. I think the next album is the best indication of what she's most comfortable with. I expect it to be similar to Prism in style. If so, then that's the direction she's moving in.

The way I see it, she performed OOTB songs on Warped Tour 6 years ago. Try to imagine her playing California Gurls on Warped Tour. Doesn't really add up. Now picture her singing Unconditionally in front of a crowd of thousands of high teenagers sweating their asses off for 15 hours to get a somewhat decent view, just to leave for another artist. The change in her music is incredibly obvious, and probably for the best. I never said I didn't like her new music. It Takes Two is one of my favorite Katy songs on her entire discography. I just wish she would do more songs like Thinking of You and Lost.

But that won't happen, because the record company values her as probably their most important artist. I'd imagine there's a bit of pressure from Capitol to produce a hit-making album, which means standard pop. You wonder if a song like Dark Horse is something Katy was initially comfortable with. I can see the label telling her she has to do a song with a rapper to top charts. So the biggest difference between OOTB, TD, and Prism has to be what she has control of. OOTB was completely written by her. If the song is on the album, it was her idea. With TD, same thing for the most part, although guys like Dr. Luke came into the picture. But with Prism, there are certain songs that I can see her being told to write. But just speculation on my part. Regardless, I love the record and glad it's successful so far.

Good point about Dark Horse.  Of all the songs on Prism, that's probably the least Katy-like.  Not that it's bad by any means.  What other Prism songs are you suspecting are not the real Katy?

One thing I've often wondered about is, if Katy had foreseen how the Teenage Dream album would turn her into such a megastar, if she still would have released it.  Obviously she's made many millions of dollars from that album and the tour, but it's also cost her her privacy and her ability to truly be herself.  I often get the feeling that a more "normal" life is what she truly craves.  I always got the feeling that she didn't expect "Firework" to be a huge hit, but released it since it was a song that meant a lot to her.  That seemed to be the song that really changed Katy's career, and turned her into a role model.  Before that, she said she was not a role model and didn't want to be one.  I wonder if, in retrospect, if she had known how big Firework would be, if she would have either not released it as a single, or would have left it off the album completely, if she didn't want to become a role model.

I also wonder if Katy really is fans of artists that she says she is.  Obviously she has very diverse musical tastes, and that is great.  But is she really such a good fan of singers like Miley Cyrus and Ke$ha?  Or is she just trying to cross-promote other artists that work with Dr. Luke?  It's very hard to tell.  I wouldn't have really expected Miley or Ke$ha's music to appeal to Katy, but, as I said, her musical tastes are so diverse, maybe she is truly fans of them.

Offline flapfkp

• Little Voyeur
« Reply #217 on: March 24, 2014, 11:25:24 PM »

Good point about Dark Horse.  Of all the songs on Prism, that's probably the least Katy-like.  Not that it's bad by any means.  What other Prism songs are you suspecting are not the real Katy?

One thing I've often wondered about is, if Katy had foreseen how the Teenage Dream album would turn her into such a megastar, if she still would have released it.  Obviously she's made many millions of dollars from that album and the tour, but it's also cost her her privacy and her ability to truly be herself.  I often get the feeling that a more "normal" life is what she truly craves.  I always got the feeling that she didn't expect "Firework" to be a huge hit, but released it since it was a song that meant a lot to her.  That seemed to be the song that really changed Katy's career, and turned her into a role model.  Before that, she said she was not a role model and didn't want to be one.  I wonder if, in retrospect, if she had known how big Firework would be, if she would have either not released it as a single, or would have left it off the album completely, if she didn't want to become a role model.

I also wonder if Katy really is fans of artists that she says she is.  Obviously she has very diverse musical tastes, and that is great.  But is she really such a good fan of singers like Miley Cyrus and Ke$ha?  Or is she just trying to cross-promote other artists that work with Dr. Luke?  It's very hard to tell.  I wouldn't have really expected Miley or Ke$ha's music to appeal to Katy, but, as I said, her musical tastes are so diverse, maybe she is truly fans of them.

As far as Miley and Kesha go, she liked them well before Katy hit the spotlight. Watch some of her vlogs from early 2008. She's talking about how she got back from a Miley performance, and how she loved her. Also, Kesha is in IKAG music video, well before she hit the spotlight as well. So maybe those are bad examples given her preconditions. But I added the iTunes radio channel that Katy DJ's, and I gotta be honest with you, but most of the music sucks. Now maybe that has to do with the fact that I don't listen to pop outside Katy, but I still have an ear for what appeals to people and I have an idea of what a good song is, and very few of the songs she suggests are any good. I wonder if sometimes, she "promotes" other artists as a favor, given her status. She could go on Twitter and tell people to pick up dog shit off the floor and wipe it on the wall and people would do it.

Having said that (and my out-of-control analogy), I think it's incredibly difficult to figure out who Katy truly is right now. Like I said, I'd love to see her do more "raw, stripped-down" music, but that's just me. And to answer your question about the Prism songs, I feel like This Is How We Do is another good example. Sounds like it was recorded for the sole purpose of becoming a hit.

Regarding your statements on Firework, that's an interesting point I never really thought of. I think Katy's the kind of person who wouldn't change anything, just because of the experiences that you gain from an event are priceless. But not just that, I think if you look at the positives which derive from her success on Teenage Dream, they far outweigh the negatives. Her entire life (at least the life that we have access to), she has been someone who will do anything to reach a level of success she's satisfied with. Few people have that conviction, but she does. Having said that, the fame and success that arose from Teenage Dream that put her on a popstar level is about as successful as one could be in that industry, and I doubt Katy would trade that for anything. Sure, the paparazzi could be annoying, as is the lack of certain privacy, but overall, there is nothing like what she has now, and she's the kind of person to embrace that lifestyle. Just my 2 cents.

07/02/14 Sunrise, FL
08/17/14 St. Louis, MO
10/11/14 Houston, TX

Katycat # 133136
@flapfkp

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #218 on: March 24, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »

As far as Miley and Kesha go, she liked them well before Katy hit the spotlight. Watch some of her vlogs from early 2008. She's talking about how she got back from a Miley performance, and how she loved her. Also, Kesha is in IKAG music video, well before she hit the spotlight as well. So maybe those are bad examples given her preconditions. But I added the iTunes radio channel that Katy DJ's, and I gotta be honest with you, but most of the music sucks. Now maybe that has to do with the fact that I don't listen to pop outside Katy, but I still have an ear for what appeals to people and I have an idea of what a good song is, and very few of the songs she suggests are any good. I wonder if sometimes, she "promotes" other artists as a favor, given her status. She could go on Twitter and tell people to pick up dog shit off the floor and wipe it on the wall and people would do it.

Katy's favorite song from each of her albums ("Thinking of You", "Firework", and "Unconditionally") have also been among my favorites from each album (even though "Thinking of You" and "Unconditionally" weren't too popular with the general public), which suggests that Katy and I have similar taste in music.  But I really dislike Miley Cyrus and Ke$ha (not trying to start another war, just stating my opinion), which is why I was surprised Katy likes them so much.

Having said that (and my out-of-control analogy), I think it's incredibly difficult to figure out who Katy truly is right now. Like I said, I'd love to see her do more "raw, stripped-down" music, but that's just me. And to answer your question about the Prism songs, I feel like This Is How We Do is another good example. Sounds like it was recorded for the sole purpose of becoming a hit.

"This is How We Do" is probably the weakest song on Prism.  It's not bad, and it is a fun, feel-good song.  But there is nothing uniquely Katy about it, nor is it anything she hasn't done before.  Normally, I would have agreed with you.  But I saw a conversation between Katy and Ariana Grande (backstage at one of the awards shows) where they were discussion (among other things) "Prism", and Katy told Ariana that "Unconditionally" is her favorite ballad, and "This is How We Do" is her favorite uptempo song, and Ariana seemed to agree.  So that implies that it's a song that she really wanted on the album.  Of course, it is possible that Capitol asked Katy to promote that song, thinking it's marketable, or maybe she just thought that was a song that Ariana would really like.

What doesn't help things is that Katy does often contradict herself.  For example, she once said that of all her videos, Teenage Dream was her favorite to shoot.  But another time, she said she hated shooting that video.  (of course, it's possible she hated all her videos but didn't hate that one as much, but that's unlikely).  Another time, she said she is so insecure that she wears makeup even when sleeping.  But another time, when giving beauty tips, she said that she never sleeps with makeup.  Also, she one said that when on tour, she is on an extremely strict diet.  But another time, she said that when on tour, she doesn't have much chance to eat healthy, so she eats mostly Taco Bell.

Regarding your statements on Firework, that's an interesting point I never really thought of. I think Katy's the kind of person who wouldn't change anything, just because of the experiences that you gain from an event are priceless. But not just that, I think if you look at the positives which derive from her success on Teenage Dream, they far outweigh the negatives. Her entire life (at least the life that we have access to), she has been someone who will do anything to reach a level of success she's satisfied with. Few people have that conviction, but she does. Having said that, the fame and success that arose from Teenage Dream that put her on a popstar level is about as successful as one could be in that industry, and I doubt Katy would trade that for anything. Sure, the paparazzi could be annoying, as is the lack of certain privacy, but overall, there is nothing like what she has now, and she's the kind of person to embrace that lifestyle. Just my 2 cents.

That makes sense.

Offline TheMouse

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2014, 11:45:24 PM »

Katy Hudson has one album, Katy Perry has three. In the music industry, those are in fact two different artists; that's how things work there. Katy Hudson has a nostalgic fan value for us, but it doesn't count as an album. Katy isn't told to write songs; rather, she knew from the beginning what kind of contract she signed. She could be an independent artist and earn a few thousand dollar as such a one if that's what she wanted to do - but she wanted to earn millions and bring herself to the masses of people all over the world. That's why we have Roar and DH, not more of TOY. She makes hits because that's what she enjoys and is best at. In a short time, she has gone from unpaid instalments for a cheap car to the this year's corrected net worth of $95,000,000 - for a start. Katy does co writing instead of writing because she works in a team in order to produce that constantly growing net worth. Katy's career is a strategy - but Capitol Records doesn't look at things on a daily basis and then tells Katy what song to write - that is not how the industry works, and not how things work for her.

The day my friend told me that I'm '...a natural blues singer...' (August 12th 2014) Why can't every day be like that? 

IthinkIwouldcommitsuicideanytimeifitsavedkaty'slifebecauseI'velivedmineandtheworldneedshermore

:firework: :frolickingghost: :firework: :frolickingghost: :firework:

Offline TheMouse

• I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #220 on: March 25, 2014, 12:13:05 AM »
When I watched Katy saying that she wants to do one I understood her in the way that it would have to be written first. It isn't about another 'unplugged' session - I might be making a bold assumption but I can imagine that could be a waste of time and money at this point of time.
The record company doesn't allow or not allow Katy to do anything; Katy works in a team where things important to her growing career and the growing business are concerned; for her, an 'acoustic album' (whatever that means, it doesn't just mean 'unplugged') is not on the same shelf as TD and Prism, and wouldn't have anything to do with them or if it had the same commercial success - of course it wouldn't, but that isn't what it's about.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:19:59 AM by TheMouse »

The day my friend told me that I'm '...a natural blues singer...' (August 12th 2014) Why can't every day be like that? 

IthinkIwouldcommitsuicideanytimeifitsavedkaty'slifebecauseI'velivedmineandtheworldneedshermore

:firework: :frolickingghost: :firework: :frolickingghost: :firework:

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »

Katy Hudson has one album, Katy Perry has three. In the music industry, those are in fact two different artists; that's how things work there.

That is not true.  Someone else looked up Katy's ASCAP records, and the exact same songs were listed under both Katy Hudson and Katy Perry.  So ASCAP considers them to be the same person.  The main reason why she uses the name Perry is to avoid confusion with the actress Kate Hudson.  I do not feel that she was trying to create a new person.

Katy Hudson has a nostalgic fan value for us, but it doesn't count as an album. Katy isn't told to write songs; rather, she knew from the beginning what kind of contract she signed. She could be an independent artist and earn a few thousand dollar as such a one if that's what she wanted to do - but she wanted to earn millions and bring herself to the masses of people all over the world. That's why we have Roar and DH, not more of TOY. She makes hits because that's what she enjoys and is best at. In a short time, she has gone from unpaid instalments for a cheap car to the this year's corrected net worth of $95,000,000 - for a start. Katy does co writing instead of writing because she works in a team in order to produce that constantly growing net worth. Katy's career is a strategy - but Capitol Records doesn't look at things on a daily basis and then tells Katy what song to write - that is not how the industry works, and not how things work for her.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but how are you absolutely 100% sure that what you say is Katy's motivation for what she does?

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
When I watched Katy saying that she wants to do one I understood her in the way that it would have to be written first. It isn't about another 'unplugged' session - I might be making a bold assumption but I can imagine that could be a waste of time and money at this point of time.
The record company doesn't allow or not allow Katy to do anything; Katy works in a team where things important to her growing career and the growing business are concerned; for her, an 'acoustic album' (whatever that means, it doesn't just mean 'unplugged') is not on the same shelf as TD and Prism, and wouldn't have anything to do with them or if it had the same commercial success - of course it wouldn't, but that isn't what it's about.

Maybe once Katy is past her marketability peak (and probably after starting a family) she can do an acoustic album.  Maybe it will even have more Christian / spiritual influence, and even include a few duets with non-rap singers.

Offline Carmenxox

• I can see the writing on the wall
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »

Very good point...and exactly how I feel.

*Applauds all involved in the recent insightful conversation*
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:25:36 PM by Carmenxox »

Proud Katycat #5998
"You are never fully dressed without a smile" - Katy Perry

Offline mitsguy2001

• Dirty Doggy
  • Katycat
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
It's interesting that Prism is the album that people on this thread seem to think is the least Katy, given that Katy said that Prism is her most personal album ever.