Author Topic: American Music Awards @ Nokia Theatre - Los Angeles, CA - November 24th 2013  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Westie

• Wannabe
  • NewbieCat
Was Katy Perry's Geisha-clad AMA performance racist?
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
I'm just stunned.  Is this really how the world is seeing Katy?

I thought it was just on twitter - usual indignation and calls of 'pc' and racist, but its gone mainstream.

Am I just wrong in thinking this is over the top?

Westie

Offline JustWokeUpInVegas

• Purrrfection
  • So, this is what I get?
Re: Was Katy Perry's Geisha-clad AMA performance racist?
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »
It wasn't racist. No one is offended by it anyway. If she did that to my country, I'd be very proud.

Offline CiaraCandyCat

• A Dead Battery
Re: American Music Awards @ Nokia Theatre - Los Angeles, CA - November 24th 2013
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
I really liked what this guy had to say about the whole racism thing:
http://chivalryinstead.tumblr.com/post/68102096521/ok-so-heres-my-real-problem-with-the-katy-perry

It makes me really upset to see people talk about Katy like that, since she'd never go out and intentionally offend people of any culture. It seems she, like many people, have no knowledge of the whole cultural appropriation thing, something I wasn't aware of either until a few months ago when I saw a blog post on Tumblr about Halloween costumes offending certain cultures. But there was nothing malicious about Katy's intentions during this performance.
I mean, I used to dress up as a Geisha for fun when I was little and my mum used to help me find pretty dresses in oriental clothes shops, does this make us racist?
Sure it's okay to be offended by something but some of the responses towards Katy are a lot more offensive than her performance. It seems like people are always looking for something to criticise Katy for. I mean Rihanna dressed as a Geisha in the video for Princess of China and no one seemed to care.
I hope this blows over soon, it really put a downer on such a beautiful performance.
I mean LOOK.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:25:10 PM by CiaraCandyCat »

Nov 7th 2011 - #DublinDreams
May 7th 2014 - Belfast #PrismaticWorldTour
Twitter: @lollipocalypse_
Tumblr: bogey-lowenstein.tumblr.com

Offline ILoveKatyBird

• Leaves Them All in Awe
  • ♥▽PRISMATIC WORLD TOUR♥▽
Re: American Music Awards @ Nokia Theatre - Los Angeles, CA - November 24th 2013
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »
I really liked what this guy had to say about the whole racism thing:
http://chivalryinstead.tumblr.com/post/68102096521/ok-so-heres-my-real-problem-with-the-katy-perry

It makes me really upset to see people talk about Katy like that, since she'd never go out and intentionally offend people of any culture. It seems she, like many people, have no knowledge of the whole cultural appropriation thing, something I wasn't aware of either until a few months ago when I saw a blog post on Tumblr about Halloween costumes offending certain cultures. But there was nothing malicious about Katy's intentions during this performance.
I mean, I used to dress up as a Geisha for fun when I was little and my mum used to help me find pretty dresses in oriental clothes shops, does this make us racist?
Sure it's okay to be offended by something but some of the responses towards Katy are a lot more offensive than her performance. It seems like people are always looking for something to criticise Katy for. I mean Rihanna dressed as a Geisha in the video for Princess of China and no one seemed to care.
I hope this blows over soon, it really put a downer on such a beautiful performance.
I mean LOOK.

I agree, so true  :)

The performance was amazing and that picture is beautiful!

♥  27/3/11 ,12/10/11 , 18/10/11 , 31/10/11 , 5/11/11, 9/6/12 , 3/7/12, 30/09/13, 7/5/14, 21/5/14, 23/5/14, 28/5/14, 30/5/14, 31/5/14 ♥

Thanks to HOURGLAS4 for my amazing sig!! :)

Offline foobia

• Cardboard Box Enthusiast
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN.

I want that umbrella or how do they call it?
she's awesome, isn't she?

@tlauraful

Offline JustWokeUpInVegas

• Purrrfection
  • So, this is what I get?
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »
This performance is so beautiful. I literally can't stop watching.  :dreamboat:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN.

I want that umbrella or how do they call it?
They call it oil-paper umbrellas. It originated from China and has been spread across Asia. The Japanese ones are called wagasa. Good luck finding one. :hehe:

Offline DillNewt24

• Makes U Spark A Firework
  • Be Proud of Who You Are!
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
I can't deal with how gorgeous she looks. I'm feeling a sophisticated OOTB with this look. We got polka dots and her makeup is reminding me of VMAs 2008 (mostly because it's my favourite makeup look she's ever worn). I'm in AWE.  :dreamboat:

Wow! I loved this look & her quirkiness!  :dreamboat:
I thought her performance was epic & she looked awesome! ALL JAPANESY!
Such a good visual display too!  :thumbzup:

I also loved this look from her and the dress is very beautiful too.

Twitter: @DillNewt

Offline EimearDevaney

• Wesley Willis
  • Be yourself and you can be anything.
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2013, 11:57:59 AM »
I can't deal with how gorgeous she looks. I'm feeling a sophisticated OOTB with this look. We got polka dots and her makeup is reminding me of VMAs 2008 (mostly because it's my favourite makeup look she's ever worn). I'm in AWE.  :dreamboat:

Wow! I loved this look & her quirkiness!  :dreamboat:
I thought her performance was epic & she looked awesome! ALL JAPANESY!
Such a good visual display too!  :thumbzup:

I also loved this look from her and the dress is very beautiful too.
It's definitely my favourite look from Katy in a long time! Although I love when she does sleeked back ponytails etc, my fave is when her hair is in side split, short-ish and has a bit of a curl, just like the AMA's! I also lovvvveee her hair short and straight with a fringe! It was fab like that!  :hellokaty:

Dublin Dreams March 28th 2011 - Best Day Of My Life ♥

Offline Lilithia

• Reading Hemingway
  • Lilithia on Twitter
I'm Asian and I thought the performance was phenomenal. It's no secret Katy loves Asian culture. Don't know what the world was going on about to be honest. Still remains to be one of my favourite performances.
http://www.twitter.com/lilithia
1st ever Melbourne show The Prince Bandroom 2008
Hello Katy Tour 2009 {The Forum, Melbourne}
Exclusive Debit Mastercard Show 2010 {Plaza Ballroom, Melbourne}
Exclusive Sunrise TV Gig 2010 {Plaza Ballroom, Melbourne}
#MELBOURNEDREAMS California Dreams Tour 28th & 29th of April 2011 {Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne}
Purr Perfume Launch 2011 {Myer Bourke St Mall, Melbourne}
KP3D Australian Premiere 2012 {Event Cinemas, Sydney}
Exclusive Sunrise TV Gig 2013 {Sydney Opera House, Sydney}