Please login or register. April 17, 2014, 07:16:44 PM

Author Topic: Chart News!!!!  (Read 293715 times)

Offline CiaraCandyCat

• Not Even Close to Circling the Drain
  • Belfast 7 May '14 <3
Re: Chart News!!!!
« Reply #5625 on: January 08, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »
No she is really popular over here, American music dominates our charts far more than UK music does in the US, I don't think we should be worrying about Dark Horse just yet (especially not out of the US)... but apparently Prism is now at #289... How on earth is it ANYWHERE NEAR that low?? There MUST be some kind of mistake... what on earth would make it drop 44 places in two and a half hours?

Artpop is at #103 or something (and that's bad anyway) and everyone knows Prism is doing better, ... I see in HMV all the time that they've reduced the price of Artpop to I think £7.99 , but are still selling Prism at full price (£9.99 and £12.99), so that must mean that Prism is selling better that Artpop, no? This must be a mistake...

EDIT: Now at #293, in a few minutes it will be gone... something must be wrong.
Thanks for clearing that up. But that really sounds screwed up though.
That's so strange... It's at 38 on Irish iTunes right now, and usually our charts are quite similar to the UK. Hmmm...

Nov 7th 2011 - #DublinDreams
Twitter: @lollipocalypse_ (I follow back all KatyCats!)
Tumblr: bogey-lowenstein.tumblr.com

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #5626 on: January 08, 2014, 07:36:48 PM »
Music critics and charts have nothing to do with each other.

On UK iTunes it's really bad. Dark Horse is #224, and Prism itself #245 .
Prism has worldwide sold just over two million, and considering that half of that was sold in the USA it isn't that much really all over. I thought it would do better in sales. I think what Prism and all the singles coming out if it really need is a world tour ;)

This board seems to have a lot of members from the UK, and I know Katy's tour is starting in the UK, and it seems she spent more time in the UK promoting Prism than in the US.  I was therefore under the impression that Katy was really popular in the UK.  Is that not the case?  Or was Teenage Dream really popular there, but not Prism for some reason?
Conalae will probably come later and chime in. Anyway, the UK is the largest music market in the world but also has their own separate music industry. There are so many popular British acts it's really hard for American acts to compete with them. And as you know many of those acts often dominate US charts as well.

How is the UK a bigger market than the US?

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Know it all
  • don't be basic
« Reply #5627 on: January 08, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »

Prism has worldwide sold just over two million, and considering that half of that was sold in the USA it isn't that much really all over. I thought it would do better in sales. I think what Prism and all the singles coming out if it really need is a world tour ;)

This board seems to have a lot of members from the UK, and I know Katy's tour is starting in the UK, and it seems she spent more time in the UK promoting Prism than in the US.  I was therefore under the impression that Katy was really popular in the UK.  Is that not the case?  Or was Teenage Dream really popular there, but not Prism for some reason?
Conalae will probably come later and chime in. Anyway, the UK is the largest music market in the world but also has their own separate music industry. There are so many popular British acts it's really hard for American acts to compete with them. And as you know many of those acts often dominate US charts as well.

In a way it really is, Katy even said so herself on Alan Carr, when he asked her if she was starting the tour here just to test it out on us and she was like 'you really think I would start a big world tour here just to test it out on the biggest media market in the world?'. That's why artists do so much promo here and it's why when artists go on international tours London is often the city with the most shows. It's also why artists do proper UK tours (even though the UK is tiny) as opposed to how in most countries in Europe it's just one stop in one city. It's a big market.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:05:55 PM by OneOfKatysBoys »

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #5628 on: January 08, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »

In a way it really is, Katy even said so herself on Alan Carr, when he asked her if she was starting the tour here just to test it out on us and she was like 'you really think I would start a big world tour here just to test it out on the biggest media market in the world?'. That's why artists do so much promo here and it's why when artists go on international tours London is often the city with the most shows. It's also why artists do proper UK tours (even though the UK is tiny) as opposed to how in most countries in Europe it's just one stop in one city. It's a big market.
Maybe it's not. It just seems that way to me. I know they go to more concerts per capita than Americans do. And the fan bases of pop stars seem to be larger in the UK than in America as well.

It's more of a cultural thing really. Also economic. While Americans do like their music they love Hollywood more so movie DVD's will always sell more than music albums. Plus most Americans are broke and don't have the money to spend on concerts and other entertainment.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:45:25 PM by steviep24 »
Never grow up!

Thanks to Carmenxox for my ava. Proud Katycat #11,803
6/30/2011 Toronto ACC
8/14/2014 Cleveland The Q
Music is the most powerful form of expression. My Twitter @steviep2424 :)

Offline TheMouse

• Real Fan
  • I'm the Mouse; I'm here to learn how to rOaR.
« Reply #5629 on: January 08, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
I know a radio channel which plays Peacock - ABC KatyCat webradio France  :lol:

Is that a radio station that plays nothing but Katy Perry songs?
that, and Katy related tracks, like Queen, the Matrix, sometimes Lady Gaga, or other 'unexpected' tracks. A lot of Katy Hudson, and unreleased tracks.

What's the point of being on my worst behaviour when Katy isn't looking?

Offline TheMouse

• Real Fan
« Reply #5630 on: January 08, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »
No she is really popular over here, American music dominates our charts far more than UK music does in the US, I don't think we should be worrying about Dark Horse just yet (especially not out of the US)... but apparently Prism is now at #289... How on earth is it ANYWHERE NEAR that low?? There MUST be some kind of mistake... what on earth would make it drop 44 places in two and a half hours?

Artpop is at #103 or something (and that's bad anyway) and everyone knows Prism is doing better, ... I see in HMV all the time that they've reduced the price of Artpop to I think £7.99 , but are still selling Prism at full price (£9.99 and £12.99), so that must mean that Prism is selling better that Artpop, no? This must be a mistake...

i was in Sainsbury's recently and saw at their top 50 CDs Artpop was #1 or 2, and Prism was 47 or 48, because Artpop costs £4 and Prism costs £10. And people just want a pop cd with a few nice tunes, they're not fans of anything. 

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #5631 on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:10 PM »

i was in Sainsbury's recently and saw at their top 50 CDs Artpop was #1 or 2, and Prism was 47 or 48, because Artpop costs £4 and Prism costs £10. And people just want a pop cd with a few nice tunes, they're not fans of anything.
That will do it. Happens here too. Everyone loves a discount.  :pinkbow:
Never grow up!

6/30/2011 Toronto ACC

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #5632 on: January 08, 2014, 08:41:52 PM »

that, and Katy related tracks, like Queen, the Matrix, sometimes Lady Gaga, or other 'unexpected' tracks. A lot of Katy Hudson, and unreleased tracks.
That's web radio though although it's awesome!
Never grow up!

6/30/2011 Toronto ACC

Offline TheMouse

• Real Fan
« Reply #5633 on: January 08, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »

:rofl: My mentioning of ABC KatyCat was a joke. It doesn't count, those are not 'real' radio stations, lol

Offline OneOfKatysBoys

• Know it all
  • don't be basic
« Reply #5634 on: January 08, 2014, 08:49:39 PM »

True, but there must have been a reason for Gaga's album to be £4 and Katy's 10. Some people are 'in' and some people aren't.

this is called a signature. doesn't seem to do much but I think it secretly has a superpower it uses when I'm not looking. just a feeling.
@contraduncan
(thank you HOURGLAS4 for the GIF)

Offline steviep24

• Is Screwed.. Oh Well
  • I'm wide awake!
« Reply #5635 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »

:rofl: My mentioning of ABC KatyCat was a joke. It doesn't count, those are not 'real' radio stations, lol
:rofl:
Never grow up!

6/30/2011 Toronto ACC

Offline mitsguy2001

• Ignites the Light
  • Katycat
« Reply #5636 on: January 08, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »

That sounds really good!!  That is web radio?  Is it available anywhere in the world, or just in France?  If anywhere in the world, how can I access it?

Offline TheMouse

• Real Fan
« Reply #5637 on: January 09, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »

That sounds really good!!  That is web radio?  Is it available anywhere in the world, or just in France?  If anywhere in the world, how can I access it?
if you google ABC KatyCat webradio there should be a link to it, really I found it as a substitute for American channels which I can't get, so I couldn't guarantee that it will be available where you are. I've had it bookmarked for a long time, twice actually, I can also get it through tuneIn, an app for radio channels.

Offline peterbrabel

• Know it all
« Reply #5638 on: January 09, 2014, 01:53:30 AM »
Hey Y'all.

Dark Horse just topped US iTUNES! With zero promotion.  :emobanana: The beginning of her next big hit!

Offline TheMouse

• Real Fan
« Reply #5639 on: January 09, 2014, 03:41:40 AM »

True, but there must have been a reason for Gaga's album to be £4 and Katy's 10. Some people are 'in' and some people aren't.
Not sure in which way You mean that, anyway I would then think it means Katy is at the moment more popular? Because when something doesn't sell like expected the price gets cut so it doesn't stay on the shelf? If I get this right then selling a few more copies of Katy's album only because it has to be sold as a bargain would be rather an undesirable thing to happen.
- So, 'topped US iTunes' means it's #1?